Topic: More CT icons and sort CTs by percentages

When handling a large amount of CT it's very hard to keep them in order. You could open each CT and then move it to a new folder if it is worth using but that's annoying and production is already repetitive rather than enjoyable.

More CT icons would be great. It would be enough to just take the module icon and add a transparent blue layer over the icon when rendering the icon image. It would also be nice to have the average percent of the CT displayed on the CT itself.

Example: Here

Re: More CT icons and sort CTs by percentages

+1

big_smile big_smile big_smile

agree

Alex's icon is nice and simple and a +1 on sorting by % for sure.

Yes please

Will be handy +1

It's hard to find something, cuz most of ammo/charges/etc CTs have an similar picture atm.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

/signed

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Yep, this would be nice... oh, and can we get the %'s on there (as was suggested already, but its such a good idea that it can't hurt to say again).

/yep

Arga wrote:

and can we get the %'s

/plox

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Arga wrote:

Yep, this would be nice... oh, and can we get the %'s on there (as was suggested already, but its such a good idea that it can't hurt to say again).

This. Now.

Yeah for merging topics,

much less confusing, thanks!

Surely a simple overlay could pull the % value and just display it as text over the CT icon?

+1 for the overall idea.

+1 from me too ...

Because reading the text is hard to do?

While this is a nice idea and might be helpful, I suggest that it's a low priority at best.  There are more better-er things to do then worry about creating distinct icons for things that are already assigned sensible text labels that are mere millimeters away from the icon.  It might save you a few microseconds in locating the CT you need, but is it that much harder to focus your ocular attention to the words right under the CT to figure out what it is?

Then again, if it's a low-hanging fruit for the developers that would make all you GUI-hugging icon lovers happy, I guess it may not hurt too much to waste time on this instead of building in-game pedestals to uplift our Larid and Argano bots to their rightful place among the sky gods.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Johnny must have never seen a folder full of CT's. Yes reading text is hard to do when you have 100 CTs with the % inside and not in text. Go ahead and find the ones you want. There is a lot of things to improve in the game and I think they won't do this till next week, but I am pretty sure the devs have a nice TXT file with all the cool ideas they have themselves and those found on the forums.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Someone should bother themselves to sort the larger folder into relevant subfolders.  Then again, why do that when we can ask developers to fix problems that we create for ourselves?  I suppose that's why most governments are expected to make the best decisions for their constituents rather than depending on the constituents to be educated enough to take care of themselves, leaving the representative to focus on more important matters.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Someone should bother themselves to sort the larger folder into relevant subfolders.  Then again, why do that when we can ask developers to fix problems that we create for ourselves?  I suppose that's why most governments are expected to make the best decisions for their constituents rather than depending on the constituents to be educated enough to take care of themselves, leaving the representative to focus on more important matters.

which structure do you like better ?

bots
- 25%
-- light
-- assault
etc... for all the categories (or reverse, % at the end)

or simply sorting alphabeticaly and skimmin the list on a single level to locat the % CT you like ???

I take the 2nd option.

Hugh Ruka wrote:
Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

which structure do you like better ?

bots
- 25%
-- light
-- assault
etc... for all the categories (or reverse, % at the end)

or simply sorting alphabeticaly and skimmin the list on a single level to locat the % CT you like ???

I take the 2nd option.

The best option currently is to sort by CT type as the CTs order themselves by percentages anyway. (Mk2s do anyway).
So if you want the best Baph CT take the last one in the list. Could someone confirm this for me?

I'm keen on a list view (and this applies to the other thread regarding icons as well so drop this post there too becuase we're basically talking about the same sort of problem).  The current grid arrangement is workable, but a tad cumbersome.  Low screen resolutions serve to compound the problem since the least important aspect of the CT (weapon, ammo, etc.) is the icon, yet it's also comsumes the most screen real estate.

Personally, I don't care what something looks like.  The numeric interaction between the thing concerned and the operation which I'm performing on it or expecting it to perform ultimately is the reason for the thing to matter to me to begin with.  So, list view would be great IF we could also significantly reduce the hugeness of the iconic representation.  The secondary effect of smaller icons would be allowing more items to be shown in a single window pane, tasking the player with less scrolling.

Once again though, I state this sort of thing with the clear disclaimer that this is not a significant concern...at least in my opinion anyway.  The UI is functional and I'd be happy enough to let sleeping dogs lie even though I'd prefer a top down ASCII only version of Perp on a standard 80 line display with my Sequer represented by an upper case S on-screen.  We could even go mister-fancy-pants and allow the client to scale to higher resolution, framebuffer mode CLI for those of us with graphics adapters that have more than a few hundred kilobytes of memory.

P.S. - Does anyone have a Hercules InColor graphics card laying around?  Either that or something that can pull off 16-color EGA would be okay.

Gee Johnny, here we are suggesting and discussing a minor improvement and your response primarily comprises of calling us lazy, GUI-bashing and having a political whinge. Bravo roll.

The only productive response is this one:

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

I'm keen on a list view

Which I agree with. An alternative that is a lot less cluttered.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Once again though, I state this sort of thing with the clear disclaimer that this is not a significant concern...at least in my opinion anyway

I don't think anyone beside yourself has suggested it is of supreme importance. Are we only allowed to discuss/suggest urgent things now?

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

Gee Johnny, here we are suggesting and discussing a minor improvement and your response primarily comprises of calling us lazy, GUI-bashing and having a political whinge. Bravo roll.

Politics?  What?  I was just using a parallel example to highlight the point.  Some sorts of visual minds understand a new concept better that way.  It's a multi-pronged approach to information presentation that combines vivid mental images with a solid theory.  Don't misunderstand it as me hopping on a soap box.

As for laziness; humans are fairly lazy creatures.  I know that sort of struck a nerve there, but it's worth pointing it out to put things into perspective.

23 (edited by Norrdec 2011-08-11 08:49:21)

If we weren't lazy you wouldn't have a computer to write on atm.

And I think we all feel you are more bashing on us than on the idea.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

24 (edited by Rodger Wilcoe 2011-08-11 12:06:41)

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Don't misunderstand it as me hopping on a soap box.

Well we only need to glance at your signature (who does those any more seriously) to see that you have a dislike for GUIs. That is your choice, congratulations. I've used Slack too, big woop. We are playing a graphically orientated game, so naturally most would expect the interface to be graphically orientated as well. This is not Zork, you aren't eaten by a GrueBot here, this not a MUD.

As for laziness; humans are fairly lazy creatures.

Thank you captain obvious, yes humans generally take the path of least resistance. In other news the sky is blue and water is wet.

I know that sort of struck a nerve there

You didn't strike a nerve, you just looked like a bit of a ranting whinger. You don't agree with the suggested change, fine just say so. No one suggested it was urgent, so why bother highlighting that it shouldn't be? It is simply a suggestion to make the interface a little more logical and structured. Your suggestion for a list format is a good alternative, however the way you presented it was rather childish.

Lead with the alternative next time and leave the rant out, people might take you seriously.

Yeah right. Let make PO in text-mode, graphics are for lazy ppl indeed.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086