Topic: Update process problem

Patch fails on my win 7 64 machine and I have to spend time randomly running 'perpetuum_exereplace.exe' / deleting the old perpetuum.exe / rebooting doing it again and again and again.

Edit: Cleaned up the post. Please be more professional in this forum section. - DEV Calvin

Re: Update process problem

odd i run w7u-64 and dont have this issue, what anti-virus are you running?

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

same here I run win7-64 and no issues with the patches on my machine.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I have win7 64 laptop one crash after patch today, so far thats it.

running Asus G73-JH

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

I run 3 accounts with 2 clients under win 7 enterprise 64 bit, no problems so far, hope there aren't any waiting for me when I get home from work ;D

tbh i think its just something that could be specific to that guys system. As i run 2 clients, and the only problems i have ever run into was a deployment issue way back at LIVE launch day, but CRM and I sorted that out in some unconventional way and it hasnt reoccured.

This is why i asked about the anti-virus, there may also be another thing causing it, otherwise i would of expected many more posts on this from people.;

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Well it happens every time.  Next patch Ill write down exactly what happens. to document it.

Dev - im playing a game this isn't my 'professional time'. Perhaps more 'professional' coding wouldn't introduce bugs....

I get the same error you described every patch as well on one of my clients but not the other. It's because the replacer.exe trys to run before the client closes down fully. Spam the RETRY button when it happens.

The Game

o so basically the resources arent released fast enough is all then

Ok, spamming the retry button does nothing but make your finger tired. The second time now it has done this. Cannot believe that I should have to install the game in a different directory every time I download an update.  Tells me ( Unable to update executable - process might still be running.
OLD:C\Perpetuum\Perpetuum.tmp
NEW:C\Perpetuum\Perpetuum.exe
ERROR:5
Abort Retry Ignore
You can click any of the above and the same thing when you try to restart. The only fix I could find last time was to install the game into a different directory after uninstalling and redownloading the game. Is there any other way to fix this problem? Thanks

Honestly this game doesn't require installing. All that is requires to run the game is the EXE and the GBF. Perhaps moving the EXE and GBF to another directory and then back again once it's updated could work.

If not does moving the EXE to its own directory allow the game to open? Else it seems that the EXE is broken. I wonder if the Devs could do with looking at this corrupt EXE file or something like that.

The Game

Ok. So now installing it into another directory doesn't even work. Surely I couldn't be the only one experiencing this problem. And yes you are right. No install is required, but when I download the game into the directory and download the update, it crashes. I had no problem getting this game to work initially. Never had any trouble until I downloaded an update. Now it's the same thing all over again. Starting to feel that I paid for three accounts that I'll never play again. Really enjoyed the game thus far, but it's not worth going through this everytime I have to download an update.
Have been trying to work with this problem for a while now with no positive results. Has something to do with the updating. Last time after installing the game into another directory and downloading the program again it started working. This time, no such luck.

The updater might need special permissions to take the old file and create a new one. Could you provide a print screen of the error message.
Where are you trying to run the game from? What other programs are running in the background?

Any and all information will help to solve this as you're not the only person but it's very rare.

The Game

14 (edited by Xini Nemesis 2011-04-08 20:41:13)

This is the error message Alex but in a dialog, last line are the choices.

OLD:C\Perpetuum\Perpetuum.tmp
NEW:C\Perpetuum\Perpetuum.exe
ERROR:5
Abort Retry Ignore

Just happened to me tonight  again (as it does every time).
Nothing special running except TS after a reboot (appart other windows serverices  etc)

I keep getting a windows error msg saying the game must close right after I start the game.  First time was when there was a disconnect during the patch DL, and then I got disconnected a minute ago and now the install is 'broken' 

Can I DL the game to a temp folder so when this happens, I can copy it into the game folder?  All I can find is perpetuum_setup.exe, which looks like I have to DL the game everytime the install goes to hell.  Very cumbersome setup. 

No 'repair' option in the uninstall.  In any case I have had to do this 3 times in as many days, not fun...oh and it's not my PC, I build PC's and I troubleshoot hardware/software, so don't tell me to go get the latest updates and crap.

Also it seems like this game doesn't like to multitask alongside some programs...Skype to name one, and 'open office' was acting weird alongside Perpetuum, not sure about that one yet tho... and don't tell me to check my net connection, because I get 1.5 MB/sec(just tested it at speedtest with server in Germany)...ya that's NOT megabit, and it is the advertised speed by my ISP, that I'm paying for.

thanks

-Saikko

Sorry...I guess I should have said, I'm using the latest Win 7 home prem. X64 and all drivers(graphics,DirectX etc.) are up to date.  Otherwise the game has run fine when it was working, and I haven't changed a thing.

-Saikko

Saikko Saibankan wrote:

I keep getting a windows error msg saying the game must close right after I start the game.  First time was when there was a disconnect during the patch DL, and then I got disconnected a minute ago and now the install is 'broken'

Can I DL the game to a temp folder so when this happens, I can copy it into the game folder?  All I can find is perpetuum_setup.exe, which looks like I have to DL the game everytime the install goes to hell.  Very cumbersome setup.

No 'repair' option in the uninstall.  In any case I have had to do this 3 times in as many days, not fun...oh and it's not my PC, I build PC's and I troubleshoot hardware/software, so don't tell me to go get the latest updates and crap.

Also it seems like this game doesn't like to multitask alongside some programs...Skype to name one, and 'open office' was acting weird alongside Perpetuum, not sure about that one yet tho... and don't tell me to check my net connection, because I get 1.5 MB/sec(just tested it at speedtest with server in Germany)...ya that's NOT megabit, and it is the advertised speed by my ISP, that I'm paying for.

All you've really said is "Client download doesn't work".
Would help to get a screenshot of the error. Other few images of the size of the exe and current gbf file. This game does require admin rights to run in restricted areas as it reads and writes files to sometimes protected directories (Depending where you run the EXE from)

I apologize in advance for my reply Alexander, but how can you quote my entire post in which I've clearly indicated that the client download works, but kinda...sometimes.

AND there is no simple repair function that copies a good client over the 'corrupt' one.  No big deal tho, now I have fresh virgin DL of game copied to another drive, the repair function would just be a nice touch seeing as how, if the game crashes, it can corrupt the client, I play other games where a crash does not corrupt the client...ever.  Or a disconnect during a patch DL...all I'm saying is the client and the DL should be separate.

ALSO I clearly stated that the game may have multitasking issues...actually I can confirm this...and no I'm not gonna post exe's and screenshots of stuff, cuz I have more important things to do, when I sit down to play Perpetuum, I sit down to PLAY.

The only reason I said anything is because I like this game, and maybe I'm being selfish, but more people may also like the game more if it wasn't such a pain in the *** to use.

I've already spent way more time on this small issue, than I planned so thanks for the somewhat obtuse response to my issue, but I'll take it from here...thanks o/

p.s. what does admin rights have anything to do with what I asked, obviously I can get the game to run, otherwise windows wouldn't have been able to shut it down.  seriously, if you don't want to actually read the whole post, then don't bother to respond...are you just going for the elite "most posts in the forums award" statistic?

That's a nice idea, I think I'll do that when I get home, copy the gbf file to another folder that is, so if it does get corrupted with a crash I can just copy it back. Of course, I'll have to do this with each patch, which is probably why your asking for a tool that does it automatically. Windows' macro would probably do this easily enough, if I get something working i'll post it.