Topic: Missile's not doing damage

If you are almost exactly at your optimal range from an enemy and you fire and then move out of your optimal then the missiles will fly, cycle time will start but when the missiles hit there is no damage done.
If your 5 metres into your optimal but 50 metres out when they hit then they will do damage.

Re: Missile's not doing damage

/confirmed
& Reported yesterday to GM.
Hotfix - expected

Alexadar wrote:

/confirmed
& Reported yesterday to GM.
Hotfix - expected

/confirmed

this is game breaking

Hot-fixed yet?

The Game

I'm not sure I understand the exact issue. Is this the bug where you fire a missile within optimal range and while it flies you or the target falls out of optimal range?
What does "almost exactly" mean? Could you please give us an example with numbers?

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the exact issue. Is this the bug where you fire a missile within optimal range and while it flies you or the target falls out of optimal range?
What does "almost exactly" mean? Could you please give us an example with numbers?

Yes, correct.

If optimal is 500 and i fire, and they go beyond 500 before missles land, the missles do no damage.

Tried this with the practice target, but couldn't reproduce, damage is still done if I move out. Any more hints?

what does the combat log report?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

9 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-05-09 20:59:20)

Try it on beta? Outside of Nauway?

It's where we tested and it works on npc's and on pc's.

But sometimes it seems that it doesn't happen every time for everyone?

or maybe if you lose target while missles are in the air?

Way to reproduce
1. #define your missileOptimalRange
2. Ask your corpmate to move missileOptimalRange from you
3. Target corpmate
4. Launch a swarm of the rockets into your corpmate (hint-use Gropho-he is A-W-E-S-O-M-E )
5. Ask your corpmate to move out from optimal range >>>WHILE<<< rockets in flight
6. Your missiles will done 0.000000000 damage to your corpmate...

[SadGropho  sad ]

Alright, I thought this is something new, but as I have learnt this has been like this since ages.

The reason is that optimal range is calculated at the moment you fire a missile. And if you think about it, it's logical too: missiles have a fixed flight range, they can't just produce some extra propellant fuel if the target walks farther while they are in flight.

This is also the reason why this doesn't happen when the attacker walks away: the missile has been fired from an exact point, it doesn't care where the launcher goes from that moment on.

DEV Zoom wrote:

And if you think about it, it's logical too: missiles have a fixed flight range, they can't just produce some extra propellant fuel it the target walks farther while they are in flight.

So its not a bug, its feature?

I saw a lot of times: if missiles lost guidance the will fly to the skies. Where missiles takes fuel then?=)

So i suppose you should fix this bug, because balance is broken, and change "Propellant mixing" to "Missile guidance range". So everything will be much logical than before)

If anything, it's a balancing issue, so moved it there.

edit: nope, it's something that we changed almost a year ago, and now it changed back for some reason... working on a solution.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2010-05-28

wonder when it changed back.

Alexadar, thats a good point - about renaming that extension.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Will get fixed in the next hotfix, let's see what else it breaks smile

This broke with the expansion... never ran into this problem before.

This mainly effect short range missiles being used on slow Pelistal robots (All of them) or long range missiles vs a target faster than the missile firing robot. It just means don't fire your missiles at your optimal range, wait a few more meters. It does make it a little more realistic I guess.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

This mainly effect short range missiles being used on slow Pelistal robots (All of them) or long range missiles vs a target faster than the missile firing robot. It just means don't fire your missiles at your optimal range, wait a few more meters. It does make it a little more realistic I guess.

You been eating the old paint off the walls again?

Mmmm... Pb enriched orange 70's disco paint

Try now.