Re: Kains going 72+ kph, kiting using missiles, etc.

Exolona wrote:

and let see medium weapons :
t4 LCL : 190m opt, 160% damage, 5 sec
vs
t4 Gauss : 175m opt, 300% damage, 8 sec

t4 HCL : 350m opt, 130% damage, 6 sec
vs
t4 EM : 310m opt, 270% damage, 10 sec

Exolona: 

What YOU decided to show (once you crunch the numbers) that the Kain does approx. 20% more damage over the Artemis.

What you FAILED to show
1. The Artemis can get an extra +16% dps boost (extra head slot over kain) (dps now essentially the same)
2. The Artemis guns have a +20% dispersion advantage (8 vs 10)
3. The Artemis has a +18% armor advantage

With those kind of stats the Kain had darn better be faster else it'll be eaten alive.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Mara Kaid wrote:

No, not really. It's just that we want more then one fun viable roam gang besides speedy Gonzalo robots, or if so a varying mixture of mechs in the group. Those support mechs you mention get taken down easily because they can't keep up. IE I've done it with my own tacklers.

Looks like you are looking at the wrong role models (this IS your problem).  Here at m2s we regularly take out mixed groups of mechs on roams.

103 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-29 21:20:59)

Looks like you are looking at the wrong role models (this IS your problem).  Here at m2s we regularly take out mixed groups of mechs on roams.

I only read about m2s gangs twice a week, sorry. I see other players more. Yes you do come in and log out with a varied gang vs what the others used. However the problem still  persist.

104 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-29 21:15:08)

Mongolia Jones wrote:

What you FAILED to show
1. The Artemis can get an extra +16% dps boost (extra head slot over kain) (dps now essentially the same)

With those kind of stats the Kain had darn better be faster else it'll be eaten alive.

You're right here, so does the speed advantage need to be as good as it is, or can it be reduced further? I think it's overdone, and needs to be pulled back.

105 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2011-04-29 22:16:48)

Mara,

I had written a nice rebuttal to your posts #103 and #104 but you edited them heavily so I have to change my response.

I can tell you this -> the biggest reason why people run in Kains in roams is so that if they have to run away they have a better chance of survival.  Besides Kains speed is not needed for tackling, that's what the e-war mix is for.

A number of our leaders at m2s know how to retreat properly making the tyrannos and artemis viable options (we try our best not to let anyone get strung back).  If other leaders learn how to retreat orderly there should be no problem roaming in the slower mechs.

Ok, another point -> If the speed advantage is not enough that a Kain has to take 3, 4, 5+ volleys from the enemy before it's in locking and firing range then it's not fast enough.

BTW, in response to your #103 post before you edited it:

Back in Nov of 2010, I had no idea of the relative speeds, firepower, etc. of any of the factions (I was not a beta player).  The reason I chose the Kain (or numquol more precisely) was not because the Kain was fast, it was because I thought the blue colored bots looked cool.

106 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-29 22:32:38)

Cool. My apologies mongolia, I think about what I say sometimes and try to sound more objective rather then biased on different threads. I looked at what I wrote and had to edit it. I was a bit biased there in my response.

They do give people fast ways to get out, which make them good choices for roaming vs a tyrannos. A competent fc can minimize the loss of the tyrannos with good scouts, fleet posture etc like you mention. It is more challenging for the squad though.

I like green and red smile.

Mongolia Jones wrote:
Exolona wrote:

and let see medium weapons :
t4 LCL : 190m opt, 160% damage, 5 sec
vs
t4 Gauss : 175m opt, 300% damage, 8 sec

t4 HCL : 350m opt, 130% damage, 6 sec
vs
t4 EM : 310m opt, 270% damage, 10 sec

Exolona: 

What YOU decided to show (once you crunch the numbers) that the Kain does approx. 20% more damage over the Artemis.

What you FAILED to show

correction  +10% better HD, the EM start at 9 Gauss at 10 smile wink wink love ya

Mongolia Jones wrote:

Yep when you are 10+ it happens many time ... But when you guys are just 3-4-5-6 , than the group of course looks like tackler and kains, nothing more. So please dont tell me that you guys always using mixed group, couse its true just when you have big numbers.

Btw yesterday evening was as fun race ... M2S kains runned away (ofcoz with speed nexus boost) and just light ews can catch them ... neither light or assault bots, neither ew mechs have speed to reach them (with vel nexus too) ... thats the funny ... or not ?

109 (edited by Malakian 2011-04-30 12:28:34)

Exolona wrote:
Mongolia Jones wrote:

Yep when you are 10+ it happens many time ... But when you guys are just 3-4-5-6 , than the group of course looks like tackler and kains, nothing more. So please dont tell me that you guys always using mixed group, couse its true just when you have big numbers.

Btw yesterday evening was as fun race ... M2S kains runned away (ofcoz with speed nexus boost) and just light ews can catch them ... neither light or assault bots, neither ew mechs have speed to reach them (with vel nexus too) ... thats the funny ... or not ?

1st.- We use Kains, but we use zeniths, ictus, artemis mk1 and mk2 for roams too, and a couple of tacklers ussualy. And sadly not even half the roams we make are over 10+, most of them are 6ish. Kains are the main course, but not the only one.

2nd.- Ofc we use nexus bonuses, and if anyone is taking a combat without is fighting wrong. And ofc you need dedicated tacklers to stop fast roamers.

I hate stationhuggers and arkhebears.
M2S - Considerably more braincells than Trantor.

Spam

God imagine that, T1 Light Bots can't catch up to T4 Mechs... Horrible thought. It's almost like someone spent a lot of effort, resources and hours to create that equipment... It is really unbalanced that bots costing ~400k off the market fully fitted can't catch up to them.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

God imagine that, T1 Light Bots can't catch up to T4 Mechs... Horrible thought. It's almost like someone spent a lot of effort, resources and hours to create that equipment... It is really unbalanced that bots costing ~400k off the market fully fitted can't catch up to them.

And taking the effort to create and coordinate a group of dedicated ppl too...

Spam

112 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-30 16:42:35)

Malakian wrote:
Syndic wrote:

And imagine that it's coordinated groups countering them, gosh! Who would have thought that people aren't complaining about loosing to them, when they are killing them.. maybe they just see a small flaw.

Stop with the "you're loosing to us so that's why you're posting", when it's not true. We've countered the groups,several times, so you're kind of drawing up a scarecrow there.

Oh malakain, yesterday m2s gang, 4 kains 2 cameleons etc, no other support. Got you there. lol. Note that wasn't the only gang of m2s I saw, I saw other varied smaller groups over the day as well wink But that was e=mk^2 inside of m2s.

Also this thread isn't about everyone using kains to roam in, it's about kains speed.

Malakian wrote:

Since we keep getting the same strawman arguments against this, I've templated responses. Mongolia jones had a good argument there, and the issue in the end was is the speed bonus too much.

I'm templating responses now, since I keep posting the same responses and get the same criticisms to the problem we've presented:

Template Response 1 "There are no organized gangs countering them/if only there were": The reason for asking for a small adjustment to kains is not due to the fact people are unorganized or can't counter them. The individuals within the groups asking for the adjustment are organized, and use specific robots to counter them ( very easy ).

Mara Kaid wrote:

Oh malakain, yesterday m2s gang, 4 kains 2 cameleons etc, no other support. Got you there. lol..

First of all, I'm really impressed by the name pun; malakain instead Malakian, so damn brilliant, so on the spot. I never stated that M2S never fielded a 100% Kain plus tackle squad, I said it's not common, if you want to discuss the usual squad set ups with a pretty active M2S member, is up to you. E=mk^2 is no longer , and some of their members are actually M2S members, so maybe it's my problem, Im not used to seeing differences inside coalitions, alliances or corps.

I don't think the problem around speed fit kains is about the design of the mech itself, it's more about metagame, no need for speed nerfs ¿nexus velocity revamp? Looks like a good way (making the bonus no linear and mass/weight related, maybe) ¿Kain nerf? Imho is a nono.

And btw, Mara, beepbeep I was your jeep tongue

Spam

115 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-05-01 00:43:33)

Ah sorry I read your name and thought malakain or malakin from HON. no insult intended at all

MALAKIN *HON ANNOUNCER*

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 … 52AeIJqeLO

BEEP BEEP IMA JEEP

OH YEAH!!!!

WOOOOOOO!!!

* '''Change:''' Increased the locking range of assault bots (Waspish, Arbalest, Baphomet and their Mk2 variants).
* '''Change:''' Increased the base accumulator of assault robots (Waspish, Arbalest, Baphomet and their Mk2 variants).
* '''Change:''' Increased the speed of non-EW light robots (Castel, Yagel, Prometheus and their Mk2 variants).

Being a waspish commander i thank you... the 10 meter lock buffer between range did not stop me from running with three weapon tuners. This will let me use some EP on DPS until the range catches up with the lock...you are dears.

The speed for the castel is awsome news, I was fitting and burning EP to put two med missile launchers on a Troiar.. Talking about Castels....can we have a compact light missile.  This bots lock is perfect for that.

dankie

118 (edited by Ember 2011-05-04 20:10:15)

I have to disagree with you Mara..

My T1 fit kain with a T4 frame goes 79kph... So assume I could get that to low 80's with T2 gear.  I agree this is a big advantage when considered by itself, but isolating a single advantage to the exclusion of all other counter-advantages and disadvantages is nonsense.

When we go out in a mixed group I put a range extender on... after that I need TWO sensor amps to boost my locking range to match and even then I'm only effective out to around 425m (375 optimal + .5 * 100 falloff).  I know I could optimize my skills better and run tech gear to compensate but from a practical standpoint 425-450m is max range, so I'm still standing in front of everyone else.

Alternatively I could go with less range but that would put me way in front of the rest of the pack, a prime target, and dangerously close to demob range.

While standing at the front of the pack, I still need to maintain LOS unlike the greens and I have no bonus to resists like the yellows. The defensive bonus to active armour tanking is in NO way viable (we'll see what the new armour plates bring).  Finally, the blue's DPS advantage is slight when compared to lasers at any kind of range. We are as Syndic says glass cannons.

Without a speed advantage, allowing you to dash in and then retreat, the Kain is SERIOUSLY gimped. That is the day to day reality of a kain pilot.

Your argument against speed really only holds water in the very specific and isolated scenario that you allude to.  A pack of speed fit, DPS kains on a cavalry charge...

It is a very specialized blitz offensive tactic, that is extremely effective against an unsuspecting target but that may be easily countered in several ways...

Without going into too much detail,
- Plate up and demob
- Use your range and terrain
- Don't engage when unprepared
- Focus fire (they're very squishy)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Since the assaults are getting some love, it's a good time to remember that after you figure in the extra turret slot 5v4, the dispersion modifier to DPS and the horrible range of EM... assault bots hit about as hard as kains at any kind of range... So, what advantage is the more expensive, more EP intensive kain left with when you take the speed advantage away?

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

nothing changed ember, you can still do your kain magic...

It's just lights are faster... and let's see how much by!!

PRAY TO THE YAGEL GODS!

fast kain got huge nerf to close combat because arseplosions.

Being flimsy thing going in close don't really suit well when you might get 5k explosion damage in your face...

121 (edited by Ember 2011-05-06 12:32:00)

What kain magic?

If you let a glass speed cannon susceptible to demob close to within 50m of you, it's not magic that killed you.   

They're a little bit faster so people like to bring them on speed roams... It is completely offset and more by the limitations of their racial weapons... why else would so many people give up the bot bonus to EM to strapping lasers and autocannons onto blue bots? It seems like a fail fit to me... but still kind of illustrates the limitations of EM in general.

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

122 (edited by Alexander 2011-05-06 17:49:05)

Short range pewpew kains are purely roaming and less defense robots. I like this.

With all the other balances it's now worth fitting the right robot with the right gear and is hugely important.

If you're getting a lot of light robot fights it's now extremely easy for one mech to kill 5 or so but it will require anti-ewar. I care not the speed of lights and ewars anymore. 5 vs 1 should always, no matter what, end in one solution.

However all too often I've seen 5 light robots meet a mech and 3 lights bugger of, 1 dies and the others GTFO's after his friend dies. There is no team work, no support. If you can't figure out the solution to a problem then you're not flexible enough for ANY MMO.

The is still powerful but its role may have changed. It's sometimes going to be good at what it is known for but not always.

The Game

123 (edited by Campana 2011-05-06 17:39:21)

I would actually prefer not to have a balancing system where one faction is preferred over another for roams. We do take green and yellow mechs on roams if that's what people can use, but most of the time people don't want to, and the ones who do always complain about being slower than everyone else. Or get laughed at for eating kain dust and missing out on the trophies.

Missile bots may shine in intrusions, but it seems a bit hard on them since we get to participate in those less often...and where does that leave poor old laser mechs?

But given that kains are close range, I don't know how you would change them to make the artemis and tyrannos an equally popular option as a roam mech. Maybe reducing the speed just a teensy bit to make the gap between them closer?

This is why I don't like systems with that use speed to balance things - it's simply too crucial in open world pvp.

(As an aside, seeing as I hear Dev Alf wants to make base detection and masking attributes different for each faction, I bet he wants to give kains higher masking and lower detection values. Which would make them even more popular for roams...)

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Campana wrote:

I would actually prefer not to have a balancing system where one faction is preferred over another for roams. We do take green and yellow mechs on roams if that's what people can use, but most of the time people don't want to, and the ones who do always complain about being slower than everyone else. Or get laughed at for eating kain dust and missing out on the trophies.

Missile bots may shine in intrusions, but it seems a bit hard on them since we get to participate in those less often...and where does that leave poor old laser mechs?

IMHO the impact of a LWF on speed is far to much. compared to a bot without it, you have about twice the speed, no matter what you equip.

Campana wrote:

But given that kains are close range, I don't know how you would change them to make the artemis and tyrannos an equally popular option as a roam mech. Maybe reducing the speed just a teensy bit to make the gap between them closer?

This is why I don't like systems with that use speed to balance things - it's simply too crucial in open world pvp.

dunno why, bue there seems to be a bit imbalance between the damage that those glass cannons can deal, and the damage their counterpart can apply to them (Artemis)
Yesterday i had a little comparison - my Artemis and masters Kain vs. npc Mesmer.
with similar extension and equip - one of masters standard med. EM guns dealt the same damage as a full volley of my  four standard medium short range lasers.

Campana wrote:

(As an aside, seeing as I hear Dev Alf wants to make base detection and masking attributes different for each faction, I bet he wants to give kains higher masking and lower detection values. Which would make them even more popular for roams...)

nah, as a counter, laser bots would get a good sensor detection.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

125 (edited by CrepitusAntiPettyPeople 2011-05-06 20:58:50)

Annihilator wrote:
Campana wrote:

IMHO the impact of a LWF on speed is far to much. compared to a bot without it, you have about twice the speed, no matter what you equip.

Campana wrote:

dunno why, bue there seems to be a bit imbalance between the damage that those glass cannons can deal, and the damage their counterpart can apply to them (Artemis)
Yesterday i had a little comparison - my Artemis and masters Kain vs. npc Mesmer.
with similar extension and equip - one of masters standard med. EM guns dealt the same damage as a full volley of my  four standard medium short range lasers.

Campana wrote:

nah, as a counter, laser bots would get a good sensor detection.

What about extensions?  What about range?  What about you shooting each other (he'd have no chance I'd wager)?  What about ammo type?  What about crits?

There are a lot more factors it seems to me.