Topic: why I still have to look forward on autorun?

1. why I still have to look forward on autorun?

Since, combat in PO is mostly about kiting mobs, not tanking them, in typical situation I run from mobs on my bot. Normally I run into empty area. So it would be logical to have an ability to face my camera the way I like and keep going on autorun.

About half year since release passed, and we still don't have correct implementation for this.
There is a "mouse look" button, but I can't asssign some mouse button to it, and it needed to be held pressed, to work.

In all other MMO when I press and hold right mouse button and rotate mouse, I turn myself the way mouse looks, while keeping moving on autorun. Here in PO this works same. But in typical MMO I can press and hold left mouse button as well and rotate camera around, while, running on auto in previous direction. And thats for MMOs where I can't shoot backword.

I've tried to hunt some bots after a break today - it's still very unconvinient. There is no hotkeys to remember and change speed, and there is no way to look back while kiting mobs.

2. Multiclient.

I did not tested recently, but since it does not mentioned anywhere, I suppose it's same bad.
A few months ago, like two, two clients on one PC were working not so good, performance and FPS was bad, and crashes/freezes happens not so rare.
Since game obviously oriented for multiclient play (in PvE) I wonder when this part of game will be fixed and improved? I'd like to hunt with one bot and ferry loot with another, or seek artifacts with something fast running, while having another heavy bot on backup, or have another bot as energy pump and so on. So far all those scenarios are unplayable. Two clients works well only on station for x-account trade. Even traveling on follow is risky - one client if not both can always crash, and you'l get killed by mobs.

Re: why I still have to look forward on autorun?

hmm, why do you need to use "autorun" for kiting mobs?

as long as you dont autorun you can rotate your camera free.

so you got two option to let your bot run the other way your looking - either use the normal control, or just use approach

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Dixi We 2011-04-24 19:20:38)

Yes, I know that I can run manually. But thats unconvinient. Since I'm moving like 95%+ of time I'd like to be able to control speed and direction, instead of holding a key on keyboard.

In EVE there is no problem about this part. Even in most MMOs controls are better.

Are you lazy or physically challenged so you can't hold W/S and right mouse button at the same time?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic: Yeah, but he's probably using the keyboard hotkeys for the head-slots, weapons, and leg slots. If you're running backwards and using your right hand on the mouse, you will have to take at least one finger off of movement to be able to activate or de-activate something. It's not a HUGE problem, but a bit more control on auto-run or being able to double-tap S to auto-run backwards would be nice.

This is probably the wrong section for it, and I'm sure it's been suggested before, but it is a valid issue (Again, not a HUGE issue) for those that primarily use the keyboard hotkeys.

Multi-client works fine for me. Run in windows mode.

I agree with Dixi We to camera problem. I said a similar thing to the developers. It would be good many times.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Aid The Lemon wrote:

Syndic: Yeah, but he's probably using the keyboard hotkeys for the head-slots, weapons, and leg slots. If you're running backwards and using your right hand on the mouse, you will have to take at least one finger off of movement to be able to activate or de-activate something. It's not a HUGE problem, but a bit more control on auto-run or being able to double-tap S to auto-run backwards would be nice.

This is probably the wrong section for it, and I'm sure it's been suggested before, but it is a valid issue (Again, not a HUGE issue) for those that primarily use the keyboard hotkeys.

On the surface your post makes sense Aid, but lets look a bit under the hood...

Head slots that need activating: Sensor Amps 80% of cases, 10% for the population that actually uses detectors/maskers/EW, and 10% that uses NEXUS modules. Most of the time these modules are on for large periods of time with periodic turning off for cap-regain, or simply perma-running.

Chassis: space or F1 F2 F3 etc. Its not a big deal. Important thing to keep in mind is that while you rotate the camera with RMB, holding RMB+LMB actually moves you in the direction you point in.

Legs: now these modules are most often triggered... Repairers, hardeners, injectors, you name it it's being turned on and off like a christmas tree. Default keybinds are 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Now maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but I have no problems holding RMB to scroll the camera around, keep W pressed, trigger repper/hardeners on. Another thing to keep in mind is that all of these keybinds are rebindable, so everyone can rebind what suits for themselves.

Im sorry but it just sounds like the guy wants the Devs to remap his keybinds for him so he doesn't have to bother.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

9 (edited by Bawdrick 2011-04-26 09:47:16)

I just tried this and I can run away from and still shoot at enemies. If you want to be able to turn the camera while moving select a distant reachable tile and approach it. This frees up the camera.

Not sure why you'd want to do this when you could just press the S key and have spacial awareness or zoom out.

I'm not saying it's impossible to perform combat with the current set-up. I have no issues with it, personally, but I can see where the OP is coming from, especially if you want to auto-run while typing something in a chat channel yet have your camera faced looking behind you, so you can get a better look at what's going on before switching back to a "normal" view.

Is it high up on the list? No, I don't think so. There are other pressing issues that need to be addressed first, but I would like to see this future sometime in the future and do not think anyone who would use (Or request) this feature to be "lazy or physically challenged."

So you mean "toggle free look"?

12 (edited by Arachnix 2011-04-26 17:35:20)

Toggle free look: Options>Keyboard>Free Camera Rotate>Set random Key, i have "<" as free rotate key. Taadaa you can use 2x w or Num lock ( Auto walk ) and look all around you.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

the Topic starter probably wants to have the "toggle free look" key and the "rotate camera" switched as long as he is using double-tap autorun.

switched from:
- RMB alone to control your driving direction
- "free camera toggle"+RMB to rotate the camera

to
- RMB to rotate the camera
- "free camera toggle"+RMB to control driving direction

If that is implemented, then please only as option!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

you cant have everything your way... Now.. LIVE with what you have. and get me a new island experiance :> nom nom

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

new islands are so close now... I am however prepared for devs to say it wasn't quite ready for the next patch

sorry for the thread hijack )

double click forward, double click reverse.  Is all i would ask for.  But i have to throttle some to break target lock without disengagement. I often shoot one while dancing around some bushes with his friends.. i never see my target, except  on radar when this happens. I am lucky to be able to use 9 keys, that i map. Anything past that,,,O sorry i have 11. I am really liking the camera ten feet behind my bot.. almost like fpv. My only complaint is the rez on zoom in on the radar map, is not focused...

17 (edited by Dixi We 2011-04-29 00:47:14)

DEV Calvin wrote:

So you mean "toggle free look"?

Oki, I'll try to be more specific.

Holding left mouse button down, should put camera in "free look mode". So moving mouse while left button down should turn camera, while robot should head same way.

Tile selection should happen only on left button release, if that was a click on same place on screen.

There should be a switch (#1) "no camera return" (ether in interface, or just hotkey "toggle").
By default, on left mouse button release, camera should return to "forward" direction like now.
If named above switch #1 is turned on, then on left button release nothing should happen - camera stays in position I left it. It returns to "face forward position" on right mouse down.

This will change control to more common way, like in many others MMOs.

About speed. This is not as much needed as camera look change, but might be good to have. One, better two pairs of hotkeys to remeber current speed, and to set speed to one in memory.
Like I can assign Alt-3 to "remember current speed" and "shift-alt-3 to change robot speed to one I've memorized before. Hotkey to set speed to maximum should also be assignable.