Re: New/Low EP Starting players weekly Light Bot Tournaments - 62nd

This sunday was one of the most fun tournaments i've had in awhile.

We had TEAMS of people against one another with the one rule:
No two same color on the team

It was awesome seeing the different colors go against each other and the teamwork would work. Very fun imaginative fittings. In addition, we had prizes donated by Lucius Marsellus from TDK. Lucius donated 3 ewar mechs. I decided we'll hand out 1 per tournament as a prize when we get enough for a team tounament!! This was excited, also was handed t4 em guns as a constellation for the winner.

Here are the rounds and to be honest I hope to do this next week it's VERY REFRESHING:
( oh i had a partial list because well I was having so much fun lol wink ):

1st round:
[21:08:26] <Balfizar> tux & alex vs orbelea & storage This was
tux/alexadar ( prometheus/castel ) vs orbella/storage solutions (castel/yagel) -- The match was fun to watch because the castels would immediately put distance, however I did notice that some groupd in these cases would keep close distance and try to lure out one of the opponents.

orbella storage hit up a strong formation, spreading out and taking some terrain.
tux/alexadar played it good and kept their distance, and managed to pull one out.

The actual fight had orbella and storage trying for the right side of the terrain which imho lacked bushes, so their move to hide wasn't that well.

[21:08:57] <Balfizar> snow& karis vs why & inda

snow/kair (castel/prom) vs why/inda ( prom/yagel)

This match was awesome to watch! Snow or karis had a shield and used it with their castel, while their offensive tried to lure in why and inda. A fair bit of damage was done to inda. Amazingly when inda pulled back why's was able to get in and take advantage of one being low and make the offensive push to eliminate snow or kara, while inda could heal.

why & inda won that round and it was pretty neat.

[21:09:25] <Balfizar> mara & bag vs avalon & jean mi raquelle

mara & bag ( castel/yagel ) vs avalon & jean ( castel/yagel )

In this fight I pulled bag down on coms, we immediately primaried the close range ship to get rid of dps. I used my range on the castel to help eliminate the yagel. Once yagel was down we eliminated the castel. We used terrain to weave in and bam done. Very good fighting from my opponents though and I appreciate the fight.

[21:10:04] <Balfizar> last team is balf & kangi who will fight who ever comes out with all

I wasn't watching this as I was moving the ewar mechs!! LOL!!! sad sorry guys. Balf and kanogi won.

Round 2 match ups that I remember watching:

Ah my own:

mara kaid/bag vs why's inda  ( castel/yagel ) vs (prom/yagel ): At the beginning of the match we called why primary, and i used very long distance range weapons to shoot at why's. However why hid behind a bush and that made me do 0 damage, and I kind of paused there and gave inda a bit to move in demob me/or whys demob me, and i went down fast. Very bad manuevering on my part. From bags view why had too much hp from a plate, so indeed we picked the wrong primary and should have cycles between both targets rather then one... oh well

why's/inda won!!

Last winning match was:

balfizar kanogi vs whys inda:

in this match up, i noticed that whys and inda did some nice posturing and movement up onto balf and kanogi. I think in the end kanogi was eliminated by the two, with balf doing well in the fight. It was nice to note that at the beginning they were spread out then they just got down and had a good slugfest. Eventually why's was killed and inda using long range lasers tried to keep distance form balf, but balf succedded in killing inda, and the winner was the team of:

balf/kanogi.

They won 5 mil in nic, and a ewar mech which kanogi gave a zenith to balf. Left is the ictus/vagabond for next time.

Runners up got an arbalest with t3 em guns. Why's kindly gave the reward to inda since he showed up for fun.

We did see DOOB show up and watch! smile was fun to see him come.

Again, this is open to anyone in game regardless of politics etc and I encourage new players to come watch / participate.

I'm sorry for spelling/reading errors but honestly I do a lot and have fun, and well I keep this simple. Thus I wont get a headache over this.

Next week same time and we try teams again! Very fun play. Someone wishes to have teams of 3 with 3 different colors but i am not sure based on attendance. smile . We only get 11-15.

I very much like the events hosted by 62nd and we had a few enquires in our Corp about rules on this event to participate. Upon reading your post, rules apart from bring T1 fittings where not clear, as of yet.

We wanted to push your event on our website as well, for more puplicity, so I asked If you had a defined set of rules to this event, or even better, an article for promoting incl. screenshots etc... However, after speaking to Baglodush (is the name spelled right?) it was made clear, that this event is basically only interessting for high ep veteran players. Which is a shame, for all the work you spend on it.

For new players, its just a matter of being canonfodder, correct me if I am wrong.

The main objective should be the fun, however, as a new player wanting to participate in the tournament, there is no chance of winning at all, trying to compete against someone who has an old account, with i.e already basic robotics at lvl  9-10, weapon skills, Mechanics etc.... Its more of a situation if one can alpha hit his opponent or not. It´s not even a matter of, well its fun and you can try your fittings against others.

I was under the impression, that there would be for instance, different "EP classes" to compete in. So newbie players can have fun, competing within their EP range and therefore have a realistic chance, of a successfull effort.

But looking at the players competing, this doesnt seem to be possible. Sure, give it another year or so, the EP gap for the players who have started now, will become unrelevant. But for know, unfortunatly I can not encourage our Corp troopers, with lets say a month old account, to participate in this event.

As sad as I find it myself, but the NIC is rather spend into common open pvp. As even a T1 fitted Yagel will probably still be around 400.000 - 1.000 000 NIC, depending of the choice of fitting. A lot, for a new player and for a sure loss. And demotivating, if their is no realistic chance anyway.

Maybe you will consider the thought of introducing competing "classes", to gain more participation of interessted new players.

Thanks for your good work,

MoBIoS

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

62nd events are pretty regular now, and could be attractive for all players, so i advice Devs and GMs to put in general chat MOTD link to the forum post for a while, so this event will be advertised to the game comunity, and lot of players will join to participate in a weekly arena.
Also i want to see something like an corporation tournaments in 3v3 boxes, and after few weeks of regular events: mechs tournaments.

MoBIoS wrote:

*SNIP*

For new players, its just a matter of being canonfodder, correct me if I am wrong.

The main objective should be the fun, however, as a new player wanting to participate in the tournament, there is no chance of winning at all, trying to compete against someone who has an old account, with i.e already basic robotics at lvl  9-10, weapon skills, Mechanics etc.... Its more of a situation if one can alpha hit his opponent or not. It´s not even a matter of, well its fun and you can try your fittings against others.

*SNIP*
MoBIoS

This is correct. 

It's still fun to go if you can afford the loss, but arena fights won't teach newbies much about real pvp anyway since all the fittings and strategies are different from actually going to beta.  It is very dishonest to call it a New/Low EP Starting player tournament, the way it stands though, and makes it look like an Eve style scam when viewed from that angle.

I suspect it's a catch 22 as newbies don't want to sign up knowing they will get 2 shotted, so they don't have other newbies to fight as a result.

I know MORTE was offering to pay for bots and entry fee for people who wanted to go yesterday, I'm not sure if anyone went.  Perhaps having parent corps sponsor newbies so they don't really lose anything is the way to go.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

SK has thoughts of planing a "Perpetuum Academy" where the main aspect will be to guide new players with the various aspects of the game. This will be i.e. aspects of mining, production, pvp etc... and the priority to extentions for a certain player role. Also there are considerations of sponsorship for scholars, to provide them with basic equipment, etc...

As said, this is still put under the aspect of "we having thoughts about it" and we have to yet figure the details, what will be in our responsibility to achieve this. It will consum a fair bit of time and the responsibility of the "Tutors" to be able to attend on a regular basis, for the newbies, who are attending. At the end there will be rewards of some kind, after sucessfully accomplishing certain goals within the persued player role.

Within these awards we are considering sponsoring of players for i.e. those tournaments. But this will neverteless be pretty useless, if those attending players have to compete against a veteran player from week one after the Beta. This surely needs no further discussion.

The challenge within this is, how can we achive i.e. to run tournaments within a giving EP range. It will not be enough to check players neurointegration - as this is set to the day of respec. So it will be +/- 45 days of skill points. What will a range of EP ´s be? One month or 3 month to still have an even fight?  Basically, we don´t actually now yet.

If we come to conclusions, on how we can pull this thing of, with the commitment of the responsibilty towards guiding new players, we will let you now.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

31 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-18 18:04:16)

MoBIoS wrote:

However, after speaking to Baglodush (is the name spelled right?) it was made clear, that this event is basically only interessting for high ep veteran players. Which is a shame, for all the work you spend on it.

Not true. There are several factors which put this beyond an event for just veteran players.

The most improtant factor is that...

I invite new players to come, to get a chance to experience combat in the game. We are NOT interested in wiping them out first round, we want them to get a chance using the overview, using terrain and learn, and I have asked the tournament players to respect this when matching up with them. It's up to us as a community to show a new player a fun round of combat. It's for free as well, so what's the risk? If they can't accept humility in a loss then sorry...

Again no, I match up less skilled players agianst the new ones, and if none exsist I ask mature players to show the new player the ropes and let them have fun. We know the person is new, and that brings up a second point:

The second advantage of comming to the tournament as a new player is that you get to meet a lot of different corps that will work with you to learn the game, and show you how they view the pvp in game. In other words it's a social event. You actually get to speak with players and expose yourself to newer corps. We invite the new guys on our coms so they can ask questions ( I have ). Mixing players together is an important part of getting exposed to the game, and it's great in an environment like this.

In a nutshell yes, the newer guy could be rolled, however that's not an attitude I will have the tournament goers give - as much as within my power wink . They are there to help introduce people to new corps that do pvp, and match them up against similar skilled players. It also introduces them to a social gathering where they can communicate with older players and have fun - both on coms and in chat. I really would hope that new players would come and maybye go off to other corps on islands or alpha like domhalarm, hokkogaros, nwar etc.. by meeting the folks there.

You have to get out and do pvp in a fun environment to begin learning it. By doing that in a good environment you'll build up more guys that want to pvp and have lots of fun. We will provide this for new players. Holding back and waiting till you have light bot 10 is just stupid and robs you of a rich game experience.

MoBIoS wrote:

The challenge within this is, how can we achive i.e. to run tournaments within a giving EP range. It will not be enough to check players neurointegration - as this is set to the day of respec. So it will be +/- 45 days of skill points. What will a range of EP ´s be? One month or 3 month to still have an even fight?  Basically, we don´t actually now yet.

Just keep it simple.

That's the rule I follow. We as players have so much to do in game, and running a tournament takes a bit out of that. By keeping it simple, we make it so we can run the tournament again and again.

for younger players you match them up agianst a lesser skilled ep opponent if possible. Otherwise we have a older player go in a match agianst them and show them how it's done in a nice way. also we can have the newer player keep comming back if he likes.

Too much work makes it a lot to plan, and when we have intrusions/defense/markets it's just safe and healthy to say "ok that's enough, I'll keep it simple."

If I had 10 new players coming,then I will bracket them myself. Even with 5 we'd bracket, but honestly we get maybye 1-3 new guys showing.

33 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-18 18:19:58)

Within these awards we are considering sponsoring of players for i.e. those tournaments. But this will neverteless be pretty useless, if those attending players have to compete against a veteran player from week one after the Beta. This surely needs no further discussion.

Please sponsor people. Please give them money so they get a chance to meet others in game and get a healthy respect for people's creativity and fun(I love seeing everyone's different fitting). A light bot + t1 fittings and the chance to experience some fun pvp is a great thing everyone should offer in the game.

but arena fights won't teach newbies much about real pvp anyway since all the fittings and strategies are different from actually going to beta.

Arena fights aren't a substitute for going on an island, nor are they meant to. All pvp in different aspects are a part of a bigger picture. It's naive to assume that arenas would replace pvp. Learning pvp is an ongoing process, and it's not found in a textbook nor is it all found on the battlefield, nor is it found in one game wink.

Btw check that thread where mongolia jones complains about me dodging him in a cameleon. I got them skillz by being in a light bot on sundays wink.

INFO:

This week we will NOT be holding a light bot tournament due to easter in America.

ie 4/24/11 will not be a day for the tournament ( sunday ). Next week we'll gladly have one.

Thank you all. I do realize that other easters have been celebrated in other countries on different dates, however the people who run it have theirs on sunday.

35 (edited by Balfizar 2011-05-01 20:49:53)

Tournament sunday may 1st 20:00:00 in game time
2v2 t1 fit Light bots
400k entry fee per team
no two same bots on a team...no ewar ( castel and castel or prom and prom or yagel and yagel)
there will be Prizes! Any prize donations welcome
Hope to see lots of people there always good fun all welcome!!

5/1/2011
Whys & Doob win arena

First i would like to thanks all the people who came

i would love to see more and more people coming maybee one day we would be able to do 3v3 prom+castel+yagel vs the same and we will only see skill of people on how they use their brain to setup their bot and use them on the land.

and if some people want to participate but can't afford to loose a bot and is fits just ask me i can help you and cover your fee  for enter and bot+module.

37 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-05-06 01:01:32)

--NEW ARENA IN PATCH FOR LIGHT BOT FIGHTING!!!--
It's an amazing announcement but today we're going to use a new arena on the island of ShinJalar ( red new island ). I've taken photos of the new arena setting, and we're pretty excited about using this!!!

We still need some trees/or obstructions there but we'll ask for that. Although there is some just outside.

--UPDATE: Obstructions Added!!
Thanks!

Thanks again to the community(and others :DD) for being supportive of this event.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq18 … arena1.jpg
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq18 … arena2.jpg

38 (edited by Balfizar 2011-05-07 02:38:18)

Tournament sat-day may 7th 20:00:00 in game time
2v2 t1 fit Light bots
400k entry fee per team
no two same bots on a team...no ewar ( castel and castel or prom and prom or yagel and yagel)
there will be 10mil Prizes! Any prize donations welcome

sat arena Canceled got tied up with  real life.....

This weekends tournament was canceled due to organizers having stuff to do irl, will pick up  next week.

40 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-05-12 15:06:46)

This saturday we plan to hold another tournament @ 20:00 same rules as above:

Tournament sat-day may 14th 20:00:00 in game time
2v2 t1 fit Light bots
400k entry fee per team
there will be 10mil Prizes! Any prize donations welcome

Please come fun prizes, and great for new players to meet people.

Please put me in the notification list for these contests.

Mara Kaid wrote:

This saturday we plan to hold another tournament @ 20:00 same rules as above:

Tournament sat-day may 7th 20:00:00 in game time

I think its the may 14th.

Tuna Sammich wrote:

Please put me in the notification list for these contests.

Hi tuna, i'll make sure to contact you this saturday.