1 (edited by Campana 2011-04-12 19:07:40)

Topic: What are your top 5 UI fixes/changes?

What are your top five small changes or additions you would like to see made to the UI? I don't mean anything to do with balancing or major changes to content, just little things that improve how you play the current game, such as clicking on things or keeping track of things.

======================

TOP CHANGES/ADDITIONS MENTIONED IN THREAD

• Sortable storage and containers - 4 votes

• Add multiple marker circles of specific sizes around waypoints, rather like the marker circle on the radar (as described below) - 3 votes

• Revert back icon selection to row in top right corner (adding keybinds to toggle things on and off seems to be the best solution in response to Dev Zoom's post, or alternatively have the extra icons as a detached window themselves that you toggle on and off. The issue seems mainly to be lack of an instant LOS indicator) - 3 votes in favour of previous arrangement, 2 votes in favour of current

• Some way of keeping track of which targets you have applied your ECM/ewar/rr modules to, available both on the targeting computer window and the landmarks list - 3 votes

• Multiple distance markers with customisable colours - 2 votes

• Relationship status displayed on player dots on radar - 2 votes

• Option to get back old mineral overlay (the cubes) - 2 votes

FIXES/BUGS MENTIONED

• Landmark Refresh - It's very, very buggy. Most of the time the corp of someone who's just come on my landmarks will not be displayed, sometimes the standings colour, their name, bot type. Friendlies often bug out and appear on the landmarks when they shouldn't.

• Fix "random sorting" in assignment lists etc.

• If i scroll up in a chat window to read back chat, don't have it auto scroll down every time a sentence gets added squad window settings arent saved, you always have to re-activate it between playing sessions

• My pet peeve is that the squad window settings arent saved, you always have to re-activate it between playing sessions. Also, if I want to turn the distance OFF then it should bloody well stay OFF.

======================

My list:

• The target list should not re-sort itself (or allow an option to prevent it doing so). It should always be sorted in the order in which I targeted my targets. Alternatively any other way that gives me some way to keep track of which module is being applied to which target (e.g. ECMs, sensor suppressors, remote armour repairers etc)

• Remove waypoints by right clicking on them on the landmarks list

• Add multiple marker circles of specific sizes around waypoints, rather like the marker circle on the radar. This is to help with triangulating artifact scans. So you select a waypoint, right click, set waypoint marker range of e.g. 3241m and it appears on the map (or the radar).

• Sort storages by name, type, faction, level of repair etc.

• Relationship status displayed on the player dots on the radar, as well as just corp and squad.

Please add your own list as per this template:

• Item one

• Item two

• Item three

• Item four

• Item five

And then feel free to comment/agree/disagree with items on other people's lists.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

2 (edited by Styx 2011-04-11 19:18:45)

Re: What are your top 5 UI fixes/changes?

• Revert back the icon selection in the top right corner. The new incarnation is absolutely terrible and shows just how little the person who made it plays Perpetuum.

• Name Plates - They're useless in anything over 20 vs 20 engagements, all they do is block parts of the screen. I used to solve this problem by turning them on and off quickly in order to judge LOS however with the new icon selection as stated above this simply isn't possible.

• Landmark Refresh - It's very, very buggy. Most of the time the corp of someone who's just come on my landmarks will not be displayed, sometimes the standings colour, their name, bot type. Friendlies often bug out and appear on the landmarks when they shouldn't.

• Multiple distance markers on the radar with customizable colours would be handy.

• When locking someone you should be able to see the effects that are currently on them such as ECM, Energy Warfare and Remote Repairing. You should also be able to distinguish which ones are yours should you be applying one of them. This should be on the landmarks as well as the targeting computer. Optional of course.

3 (edited by Arga 2011-04-11 19:25:01)

Item 1 - Ability to Change font Size
Item 2 - Marker Circles as described by Campana
Item 3 - Sortable containers
Item 4 - Landmark window: Show/Hide NPC's by type (same as for Agents)
Item 5 - Right click select menu to select destination container for items or groups of items

The ability to set my radar's passable terrain to different slope abilities.

Pvp flag should show on overview.

• Let corp set standings that apply to all in the corp. All in corp should auto be friendly to one another.

• Multiple distance markers on the radar with customizable colors.

• Yes revert the icons on top right corner.

I will think of more.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

6 (edited by Kruachan 2011-04-12 08:12:26)

The first item described by Campana applies also to large groups of items (modules, resources, etc ...) in a container.
They are reordered when one (or several) of them is moved out of the container.
It is particularly painful when manipulating large groups of items (repaire/recycle for example).

• Refreshing inventory after that a assignment have been completed would be helpful.

• Order items in a container by various criteria like stack size (for resources in a field container), repair status (at least group red/yellow/green together), technology level (T1/T2/T3/T4), regular list order of modules (like the one shown in market).

• When attempting to move more Units that a cargo allows, the system rejects the transaction. Could we have the option to fill the cargo and have the exceeding part back in its container ?

• In-game calculator please smile

• I want to target the members of my squad using the squad window

7 (edited by Krupp 2011-04-12 08:45:56)

• Fix the random resorting of the targeting computer, assignments list, storages, inventory, basically remove that failing random auto sorting ingame. It seems to invent a new kind of order of things every time you touch a line/item

• Remove the snapping back to top in the scanner window

• Add multiple marker circles of specific sizes around waypoints, rather like the marker circle on the radar. This is to help with triangulating artifact scans. So you select a waypoint, right click, set waypoint marker range of e.g. 3241m and it appears on the map (or the radar).

• Alternatively any other way that gives me some way to keep track of which module is being applied to which target (e.g. ECMs, sensor suppressors, remote armor repairers, miner/harvester mods, etc)

• If i scroll up in a chat window to read back chat, don't have it auto scroll down every time a sentence gets added

8 (edited by Alexadar 2011-04-12 09:14:08)

• Separate filter for tactical and overview window plus new filter options: "Corporation" and "Squad"

• Devs, reflect please tactical colors and icons on radar also, with "enable" and "disable" option

• Ability for squad leader to highlight targets on oveview and tactical screen: alpha target, beta target, gamma target, delta target

• Distance labels, smaller size and smooth movement for player plates

• Buttons "Lock closest agent" "Lock closest target with negative standings" "Lock closest npc"  and similar primary target selection buttons

• Target squad members using the squad window

• "Storage stack" for field containers

• Fix "random sorting" in assignment lists etc.

• Order items in containers/storages by various criterias (tech level etc.)

• Revert the top right Icon-Menu

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Revert back the icon selection in the top right corner.
The new incarnation is absolutely stupid, shows how the person who made it does NOT play Perpetuum.

The only white dots I want to "see" on the radar are Newts.
Everyone else should have a colour ... blue should have blue dot, green a green dot, etc and yes, reds should have a red dot, change the NPCs to pink wink

smile

11 (edited by Kari 2011-04-12 11:51:20)

Some of these are small features as well, but they might as well go here.

• Change the target marker to also give a big indicator for the squad using the module (giant arrow or something), (Could have it force the squad to secondary target this person if they can but that may be a bit too powerful)

• Remotely placing waypoints + radius of objective, much like how assignments look, and an easy way to relay this to all squad mates, (anyone who has played rift should know of the waypoint feature, something somewhat like that)

• Show Squad Accumulator capacity (Been suggested before somewhere)

• Shield Hue/Visual change based off percentage of remaining accumulator (one of the big advantages of shields currently is that there is no way for an enemy to tell if they are anywhere near breaking it)

• Abilty to have multiple squad sub-leaders that could invite people to the squad, maybe in addition to sub-groups and some sort of squad ranking system.

Kinda off topic in regard to UI changes, but related to my last idea - would be nice if in terms of subgroups, if we could have a way to manage more that 3 nexus's between them, for example having Ewar nexus only affecting an Ewar subgroup, Assault/Crit nexus only affecting a Combat subgroup, and Repair Nexus only affecting a Support subgroup, though i haven't fully thought out how it would be implimented, or if something like this would be considered "overpowered".

Styx wrote:
  • Revert back the icon selection in the top right corner. The new incarnation is absolutely terrible and shows just how little the person who made it plays Perpetuum.

not revert, but let me choose between condensed and expanded version. actually i like the change

• Name Plates - They're useless in anything over 20 vs 20 engagements, all they do is block parts of the screen. I used to solve this problem by turning them on and off quickly in order to judge LOS however with the new icon selection as stated above this simply isn't possible.

hmm, i would like to have more control over that too.
    wasn't there a keybind for that?

• Multiple distance markers on the radar with customizable colours would be handy.

where comes the change of heart from?

• When locking someone you should be able to see the effects that are currently on them such as ECM, Energy Warfare and Remote Repairing. You should also be able to distinguish which ones are yours should you be applying one of them. This should be on the landmarks as well as the targeting computer. Optional of course.

that would be a nice improvement

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I don't mind the new icon listing at the top corner really. I almost always have all items up I need all the time and don't think it should cover a half screen. Perhaps give a toggle option in settings so we can have it either way?

My pet peeve is that the squad window settings arent saved, you always have to re-activate it between playing sessions. Also, if I want to turn the distance OFF then it should bloody well stay OFF.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

15 (edited by Annihilator 2011-04-12 12:03:34)

Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

The ability to set my radar's passable terrain to different slope abilities.

hmm, i like that.

actually, with almost all bots of the same size sharing the same slope capability, it would be nice if you could modify the terrain overlay to a different color for each slope range that matters.

thing to add:

• option to get back the old mineral overlay (the cubes)

• slider for slope overlay opacity

• "Predator" like different HUDs for different tasks (travel/combat/mining/artifacts)

• indicator for secondary sort criteria (its hard to set up a secondary sorting without that)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

thing to add:

• option to get back the old mineral overlay (the cubes)

For a comfortable mining, i vote for it.

If a single target is locked, or is being locked, it should automatically be the primary target.

Squad window should not disappear whenever you dock then undock

Should be a toggle button for showing containers on landmarks. I want to shoot without having containers visible, when targets are dead, I loot, then return to shooting.

18 (edited by Kari 2011-04-12 15:40:23)

Some more ideas that i have heard before:

• Container colour to indicate loot rights and status:

• Green - Your/Squad rights, Unopened

• Blue - Your/Squad rights, Opened

• Red - Someone else's rights, Unopened

• Yellow or Orange - Someone else's rights, Opened

• Opening a PVP loot container should flag you for PVP, or at least give you a 1/4 or 1/2 flag. (Should give a warning similar to turning your PVP flag on from the robot info UI)(Not UI Related but i'd like to mention it anyway.)

• Some sort of LoS indicator, i'm kinda sick of thinking i have LoS on something, only for my weapon to fire into the side of a hill, etc.

Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

I don't mind the new icon listing at the top corner really. I almost always have all items up I need all the time and don't think it should cover a half screen. Perhaps give a toggle option in settings so we can have it either way?

The change was necessary because with the introduction of the storage button on the terrain too, lower resolutions couldn't fit all the buttons anymore, so it can't be reverted.

Someone should enlighten me though how this is such a gamebreaking issue, are you guys changing your window configuration every minute?

20 (edited by Kari 2011-04-12 15:06:29)

^

For me its mainly the squad menu being in there, as it doesn't seem to stay there when you restart the client.

I'd recommend moving that, and maybe the intrusion UI out of that grouping.

Maybe its time to use F5-F12 to switch between this windows?

Well it's easy to introduce keybinds for them too.

23 (edited by Styx 2011-04-12 15:39:48)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Someone should enlighten me though how this is such a gamebreaking issue, are you guys changing your window configuration every minute?

Styx wrote:

As I said in the second post of this thread I used to turn the name plates on and off every couple of seconds when determining LOS in large engagements.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The change was necessary because with the introduction of the storage button on the terrain too, lower resolutions couldn't fit all the buttons anymore, so it can't be reverted.

Yes! now I need 2 clicks to do the same thing, as long as my mouse stays active on the drop down menu to do so. You try change something while in a fight. hmm

If you "need" to know what you have in storage while deployed, stick the button on the left and have all them, not so used buttons while deployed, in a drop down button. tongue

I added a summary of the discussions so far to the OP.

• When attempting to move more Units that a cargo allows, the system rejects the transaction. Could we have the option to fill the cargo and have the exceeding part back in its container ?

• If i scroll up in a chat window to read back chat, don't have it auto scroll down every time a sentence gets added

• Opening a PVP loot container should flag you for PVP, or at least give you a 1/4 or 1/2 flag. (Should give a warning similar to turning your PVP flag on from the robot info UI)(Not UI Related but i'd like to mention it anyway.)

I concur with all of these.

Kari wrote:

Abilty to have multiple squad sub-leaders that could invite people to the squad, maybe in addition to sub-groups and some sort of squad ranking system.

Kinda off topic in regard to UI changes, but related to my last idea - would be nice if in terms of subgroups, if we could have a way to manage more that 3 nexus's between them, for example having Ewar nexus only affecting an Ewar subgroup...

In That Other Game don't they have some kind of hierarchical squad system? So you can have sub-squads making up larger military units. I think it would be an excellent thing to have here. It would help with nexuses, dividing up remote repairs and so on, as well as tactical movements on the field.

Tiger Tiger wrote:

If a single target is locked, or is being locked, it should automatically be the primary target.

I would actually prefer not to do this. Secondary locking someone, but not primarying them until the last minute is a tactical decision best left to the player. However, I do think if you click on someone's icon and then press primary target, it should start targeting and automatically primary once lock is achieved.

Legedric Warstrike wrote:

Target squad members using the squad window

I added this to the OP because it got 2 votes. But can't you double click on the player in the squad window and it will target? I haven't rr'd for a while, but pretty sure this works...can someone confirm?

With regards to the icons/los issue, there are 3 solutions. One is to implement a los indicator. The other is to have keybind options available. The third is to have all the icons displayed as another moveable window on your UI, and pressing the arrow icon in the top right hand corner toggles this on or off.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978