Topic: Item Shops will you ever put one ?

i hate item shops allot, i hate the fact some games add items that you only get from paying additional $ to get them and in my opinion a person who pay the monthly fee should have access to all the game content/items whit no restriction. Also i prefer to have a more expensive monthly fee that a item shop ingame.

so devs do you plan to put a Item Shop ingame ?

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

Re: Item Shops will you ever put one ?

that sure is straight outta left field... what sub based game has an item shop?

Definitely no item shop.
In the future we might offer extra services like avatar change or decorational stuff, but nothing that will give you the slightest advantage in game.

why not jus institute that ingame as a nic pay service ? i really dont see a need for it to be a cash transaction out of game. unless ya`ll all need porches then i guess go for it

Demiwar wrote:

Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft (I've been told, never played it.), and a dozen or so smaller ones off the top of my head. Even eve online is adding one in the near future.

Keep in mind a cash shop does NOT have to have items that add bonuses. It just has to sell items for cash that can not be aquired elsewhere.

Dreadnought wrote:

Keep in mind a cash shop does NOT have to have items that add bonuses. It just has to sell items for cash that can not be aquired elsewhere.

I think opening a cash shop, even without usefull item is just as a Pandora box.
Once the mechanism is set up it could be a real tentation to add some slightly usefull items for more cash. And after that...

I hope devs won't even think about that.

DEV Zoom wrote:

In the future we might offer extra services like avatar change or decorational stuff, but nothing that will give you the slightest advantage in game.

avatar change for money is OK to me

but if the decorational stuff are available only on a shop for $ and there will be no way to get that items ingame by loot/quest/etc i will cancel my accounts on the moment you announce that.

i strongly believe that player that pay the subscription should have the guarantee of FREE(no extra charges) access to all game content.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

Avatar changes, bot paint jobs, corp logos on every bot, these could be item shop items.  I really woudlnt mind that, and might just buy them to support the game and get some cool ***.  I would never support it, however, if it actually sold anything that gave you an advantage in power.

Sure, it could be NIC based services, but making it real money raises funds without altering game play.  if they price things moderately enough, I think it could be popular, and certainly a good option for those who just want to support the company and get something out of it.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

I hate shop, even for cosmetic things.
I'm a custo fan and I like change thing or make it different, but I hate to have to pay to do this when I'm already paying a sub.

the only way I can stand this, is when you can buy things in $ and obtain it in game by quests, game currency,...

should come here an in-game shop, I'm gone. I hate those games.
I need this garbage here have not.

Dreadnought wrote:
Demiwar wrote:

Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft (my favourite game.), and a dozen or so smaller ones off the top of my head. Even eve online is adding one in the near future.

This game is AAA quality. But didn't cost me $50 + $15 a month like most mmo's. It was FREE + $9 a month. 

If they want to bring in a little cash with an item shop I have no problem in that.  As long as I don't need to buy the extra items in order to be competitive in game. 

If it becomes, he who spends the most in the item shop wins, i'll have to quit. I'm poor as dirt. 

But if rich kids want to spend some extra cash for a little fluff and silly things that don't really effect gameplay, who I am to get upset about that? Doesn't effect me, negatively anyways.

It would effect me in a positive way. How?  You get tons of extra cash from the rich people with money to burn.  Thats more money for better servers.  More money for Devs time to fix bugs and update the game.  Takes some of the finnacial burden off my poor *** and keeps the costs of future expansions down to a minimum. 

Its a good idea really.  Let those that can afford, pay more.  But keeps it a fair playing field for everyone by not having the items unbalance the game.

Hadouken wrote:

This game is AAA quality. But didn't cost me $50 + $15 a month like most mmo's. It was FREE + $9 a month. 

If they want to bring in a little cash with an item shop I have no problem in that.  As long as I don't need to buy the extra items in order to be competitive in game. 

If it becomes, he who spends the most in the item shop wins, i'll have to quit. I'm poor as dirt. 

But if rich kids want to spend some extra cash for a little fluff and silly things that don't really effect gameplay, who I am to get upset about that? Doesn't effect me, negatively anyways.

It would effect me in a positive way. How?  You get tons of extra cash from the rich people with money to burn.  Thats more money for better servers.  More money for Devs time to fix bugs and update the game.  Takes some of the finnacial burden off my poor *** and keeps the costs of future expansions down to a minimum. 

Its a good idea really.  Let those that can afford, pay more.  But keeps it a fair playing field for everyone by not having the items unbalance the game.

This is totally true, its the fact that all that needs to be in an item store for a sub game is fluff, anything that affects gameplay as big a money earner as it may be, will drive more players away. So i agree with this, and dont see the issue here.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Personally I'm fine with an item shop selling items for decorational purposes as long as such an item isn't unique.

If your robot can get a special "Look at me, I support this game!" logo then that's cool as long as there's also some other logos available through other means ( for example a "Look at me, I completed this and this hard quest" logo or a "Look at me I created 100 heavy mechs" logo )

Gobla wrote:

Personally I'm fine with an item shop selling items for decorational purposes as long as such an item isn't unique.

If your robot can get a special "Look at me, I support this game!" logo then that's cool as long as there's also some other logos available through other means ( for example a "Look at me, I completed this and this hard quest" logo or a "Look at me I created 100 heavy mechs" logo )

so a balance of cash shop with achievement incentives to match?

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Gobla wrote:

totally agree with that.
no only cash shop item, that's the way of a fair good game, and respect for the community.

There has been a considerable and consistent demand for a Hello Kitty skin.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

18 (edited by Neoxx 2010-11-29 04:13:05)

DEV Gargaj wrote:

There has been a considerable and consistent demand for a Hello Kitty skin.

But does that come with cat ears and a tail as well?  If not, f*ck it.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

NEED !!!

lol

I Demand neon glows, spoilers, bumpers and body kits!

Seriously!

Everyone is constantly talking about how Eve is so amazing and how it is so similar to this game. I for one played Eve for a little bit and it was a pretty good game. However it had an item shop that added to the power of players. You could buy PLEX (pretty much a month subscription) and then sell it in game to other players for ISK (real game currency). I really hope this game never goes that route.

hmmm. dunno about this...

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Definitely no item shop.

You just became my hero. But this means we will hold you to it. smile

24 (edited by Dizi 2010-12-01 23:25:32)

Lets make it clear about "item shop".

There are no item shops in AAA subscription based games.
You can pay only for services that are "extra" and do not affect game play. Usually they related only to your avatar and not visible to anyone else. By such "extra" services I call cross server transfer, name change, avatar look change. Those services never exist in MMORPGs for a few years, and they not needed to play, so most ppl call them also "additional payed services". Sometimes one can pay for decorations, but not always. In mentioned above WoW there are just a few decorational items that could be bought for real cash.

In EvE there is no item shop. Mentioned above "PLEX", is just a way to "pay for a buddy". If one got a lot of real money and lazy to grind in-game money, he can offer to pay for someones month of playtime, in exchange for in-game cash. PLEX just made it easy, anonymous and tradable. Mind, CCP do not sell any ISK or anything else of in-game items. They just made and item, that is equal to one month of game subscription, and made it tradable between players.

Item shops, that really affect gameplay, exist only in "free to play" games.

25 (edited by Thufir 2010-12-01 23:48:22)

Dizi wrote:

Lets make it clear about "item shop".

There are no item shops in AAA subscription based games.

EQ2, They have had a item shop since long before extended. And other game come very close. WoW essentially has an item shop now with selling pets and the sparkle pony. You can buy pets in Aion now as well. I think the difference you may be in that they mostly sell fluff items though in EQ2 you can get exp boosting potions.

The question is, does it effect game play. The problem is, lots of things effect game play, how much are you willing to tolerate. Vanity pets, purely cosmetic clothing, dyes and furniture for housing surely falls into the category of not effecting game play. But it never stops there. What about mounts? That effects the game but only really in terms of being a convenience. So you can move around faster in the game with out paying for it in game. Not that big a thing. What about an exp boost potion? in a game like WoW or EQ2 I would say, not a big deal. Everybody hits max level within a few months anyway so it really only changes the time frame of when that happens. The real end game competition happens after level cap there. In a game like Perpetuum or EVE, you never get to a level cap so arguably anything that effects skill gain effects the end game.

EQ2 should be seen as a cautionary tail in terms of P2P games and items stores. All there stuff started off as fluff and 95% of it still is. But now you can also get mounts with stats, cloaks with stats and special abilities and exp potions. Did they cross the line? Did they go too far? Don't know, it is hard to say, for some they did and they don't play any more.

All I would say to avatar creations at this point would be, be careful. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle once it is out and you do have the opportunity, right now, to stay out of the item shop craze as a matter of principle. You also stand to earn some of your customers on the basis of sticking to that principle if you do. Especially if CCP ends up going "to far" with there item shop.