1 (edited by Calio 2011-04-01 20:43:50)

Topic: Some questions about kernel research

I have a couple of questions:

1a) Say I'm researching T2 light kernels from a specific faction and get some T3 lights from the same faction. If I use them, will they add to the T2 research before (or while also) starting T3? If so, will they add to T2 at a higher rate?

1b) If I then get some T2 assaults and use them will they add to the research from T2 lights (both yield small mods) or start to research different items?

In other (more general) words, I'm asking what, if any, redundancy there is in kernel research.  There is some. I've started a new type of kernel in the past and with the first use I've added to existing research.  e.g.: first use of a new type gets me 20 (+x) where x <20

2) If there are 5 tiers of bots/kernels and 5 tiers of tech to research, what do observer kernels yield?

Thanks

Re: Some questions about kernel research

Research is a progressive tree. Researching higher level kernels before you're ready to access the higher tiered equipment will only reward you with lower tier research.

Some research will only come from larger but lower tier kernels. Most medium modules will only come from mech kernels. The best idea is to start with Rank 1 NPC kernels Lights and work your way up until you can't use then anymore of their research return drops. The more you research the smaller the return for that level of kernel grants you and thus when you start getting less return from the kernels you're researching it's time to move on until you are only gaining research from the highest tiered kernels. T2+ research gets much harder to achieve and requires many thousands of kernels.

Observers yield a lot of research but have an increased chance to fail it seems. This may have been corrected but they used to either gives lots of research or give research you've already achieved and thus gave nothing.

The Game

Re: Some questions about kernel research

Many thanks for the clarification Alexander.