1 (edited by Tiggus 2011-03-26 15:00:29)

Topic: Perpetuum's endgame

I haven't been active in PO for a bit but I still think about how much I like this game's direction and setting quite often and thought I would voice some hopefully constructive feedback to the devs about why a lot of my corp has gone inactive.

Currently it seems for an organized corp the game has around 2-3 months of gameplay before there is very little to strive for and PvP begins to lose it's value/excitement to most players I've talked to.  When you first start out there is so much to do it's fantastic, you need to build your corp up in members, find a home, organize logistics and production, get involved in PvP and so on.  The problem is 3 of the 4 things here only take about a month and then all you are left with is PvP that currently has very little point and is easily avoidable by most of the population.

I think you understand this as the future plans around gamma islands and capturable outposts/objectives will go a long way towards helping and I think you will see a nice chunk of players return when they are implemented.  The problem right now(for me) is that logging in every day to do roams and gank some newbies isn't very appealing, and neither is waking up at odd hours to do intrusions(although they can sometimes be fun when the sides are even).   There's simply nothing to do that is interesting once you have a decent industrial backbone and have played out the basic fun of meaningless pvp skirmishes.  Best case you get some decent small fights now and then, worst case you make your enemies leave beta islands for good reducing your fun even more.

More than anything I just wanted to say I hope this game continues to evolve and if you take it to a state where there are things to do on a daily basis for those who have "won" and you will have a great game on your hands.  Persistant high level daily objectives are needed, both PvP and PvE, or many newbies that do come and join a organized corp will only stay for a month or two before they reach this point as well.

2 (edited by Jita 2011-03-26 15:17:46)

Re: Perpetuum's endgame

These facts very nearly caused me to leave the game. Thankfully I looked around and saw people just like me and we decided the best way to keep us in game was to shake up the mix and try something different. So far its been good and i'm sure we'll need to do it again at some point but I would say its the static nature of your gameplay thats the problem and not the game. Change up. Failing that I hope to see you in the future, was fun o/

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I see it like this (and yes we've lived on betas and on alphas aswell, as a corp)
in the beginning was "way to easy" to catch an outpost, to make NIC and generally every aspect of the game, people who started playin during the beta, as early access or even just like me (early december) got to the "endgame" (i hate this word) pretty fast.

When a 2nd wave of players came in game they either joined the already established corps or tried to form up their own, thou the endgame was already in the hands of early comers.

Then a 3rd wave of players joined, thou in the while lots of the 2nd wave had already left the game and some of the early ones started quitting aswell
Still the people "holding" the endgame were always the same..as hey r right now more or less.

In the meantime the game added some new content (not very much), modified some mechanics (like the resources/industry patch), but no real change concerning the endgame.
All this changes, imo, made the game  harder for casual players and beginners, and boring for the vets.

I'm not pointing my finger (whinings?) @ anyone specifically, DEVs have their "problems" players aswell,fact is the game is slowly "dying".

What can we do as players besides speaking our minds to the devs? well try and change our way of playin the game, a fine example is the 62nd arena, or again, the idea of not nesting on some half forgotten beta outpost for months.
Will this be enough to "save the game"? no idea honestly but at least, the guys who ,like me love this game might try and play it a bit longer, waiting for the new patches DEVs r working on.
cya

p.s. for new guys, join a corp or create one yrself, don't wait weeks, do it asap, your experience of the game might change drastically.

I've tried to extend my enjoyment of games beyond their expiration date before, it doesn't really work in my opinion if you have to try.  I also don't feel like my gameplay experience was static, I did everything there is to do in PO from industrial to PvE to PvP and the one thing that was the most interesting was the PvP, so when that got stale it killed the game for me.

Games that have the X factor I am looking for are games like DaoC where every day I was excited to login and RvR with my guild and there was always an objective to attack or defend all hours of the day.  Shadowbane was another good one, you could almost always find a fight and the city sieges(and building) were hands down the best I have every experienced.   I understand what a sandbox is and respect that SOME of the content needs to be user created but we need more tools to create that content and some more canned activities tossed into the box.

I have a 6 month sub on all my accounts so I am definitely keeping tabs and interested to see what happens.

Tiggus, i miss you, arent you level 50 yet??

Nobody besides M2S has reached the end-game in perpetuum simply because no one else maxxed out the entire tech tree.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Jebus wept, guyes, game haven't been out for 4 months and you talk about end game?

Treat this as a beta, and you are closer to truth. From indy dev team this is wonderful sandbox game, it need more sand and islands but it is going in good direction.
If you want your epic mount end game, don't let the door hit on your way out. IE: GB/2/WoW.

There is reason why this game is not heavily advertised, its not ready for that.
EVE experienced identical curve, it took them 5 YEARS before they reached the point in content that heavy advertising could bring them lasting revenue... and ruin the game for vets big_smile

Ive played EVE for 9 years, Ive seen it trough and trough. When it was slow little indy MMO, gradually growing, but even then, main content creators were players. Devs just gave us toys. Only after the devs started to force game content down our throats, IE amusement park like agents and useless wormhole space, i said, *** this *** and left.

Frankly, the wormhole space was the last nail in coffin. If WH space would be a free land that you can turn in to your own empire... but noooooo, all it was is glorified instance.

Now i am sitting in perpetuum, waiting for new islands and transforming, so i can make my fluffy bunny shaped monument to my awesomeness!

*edited - DEV Zoom

Jelan wrote:

I never made it past 30 before I was bored enough to quit tongue

I'm moving this week(bye nyc!) but may be around more after that to hopefully see these new islands.

Wait, back it up.

Perpetuum has an endgame?

Not until Thursdays ...

Tiggus wrote:
Jelan wrote:

I never made it past 30 before I was bored enough to quit tongue

I'm moving this week(bye nyc!) but may be around more after that to hopefully see these new islands.

Hope to see you back soon Tiggus!

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I still just want my "Fembot".

I got to level 34, than realized that I got a lot more satisfaction from grinding NIC than I did from grinding XP; and then turning around and buying ore with that NIC to make bots that people actually want, instead of bags and wands that nobody wants.

Arga wrote:

I got to level 34, than realized that I got a lot more satisfaction from grinding NIC than I did from grinding XP; and then turning around and buying ore with that NIC to make bots that people actually want, instead of bags and wands that nobody wants.

I'm was thinking the same thing. Might resub and see whats up in Nia smile

Its a great time to resub, the new Islands are due out in a couple, three, weeks; time to get the wallet and inventory stocked up for the mad land grab!

I agree with Tiggus' post. I don't have a lot to do. If I need a robot or money for extensions I just need to ask for it and lo! my corp provideth. I occasionally log in and do some mission running to grind up my faction ratings. And I'll log in for pvp events or when I think there might be pvp happening.

The other day an M2S pvp gang spent half an hour hanging round a teleporter to Norhoop while chatting about random stuff on TS. What have we come to?

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Campana wrote:

I agree with Tiggus' post. I don't have a lot to do. If I need a robot or money for extensions I just need to ask for it and lo! my corp provideth. I occasionally log in and do some mission running to grind up my faction ratings. And I'll log in for pvp events or when I think there might be pvp happening.

The other day an M2S pvp gang spent half an hour hanging round a teleporter to Norhoop while chatting about random stuff on TS. What have we come to?

We were just enamoured with your voice campana, its like music to our ears wink