Topic: New Trial Limitations

First off all, I very much appreciate the new trial member option, upon registration of a new account.

My concerns are about the new limitations. Whereas I think there should be limitations in a sense of prohibiting NIC sellers, etc..
But what expecially came to my attention, is the limitation to join a corp.
I find that joining a corp, if it is an alpha or beta, is one of the core aspects to get players integrated and starting to enjoy the game. As corps can be guidance and help to new players to get startet right from the beginning.

Imho, you are putting limitations on exactly that element, which gets players integrated an finally subscribed to the game.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

Re: New Trial Limitations

If we allow trial accounts to join corps, they have hangar access and the whole item trading and NIC transfer limitation become useless.

I'd suggest also blocking trial accounts from typing in general chat.  As experienced today a not very good troll (I should know!) was trolling general as he had nothing else to do

Trial accounts are easy made spyes for enemy corps. So that's the right decision. Wanna play at full? Pay.

2 weeks is actually just about the right amount of time for a new player to get a sense of the game, run though the beginning assignments, and start to realized that joining a corporation is a good thing. They also join with a basic understanding of the game, which makes them better corp members. Not to mention it is an incentive to subscribe.

Blocking trial accounts from the social chat aspect though is bad. There is typically a GM in general, they can moderate. Maybe if they had a "Trial" in thier chat name, so we could target them for scams... I mean for corp recruitment.

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Trial accounts are easy made spyes for enemy corps. So that's the right decision. Wanna play at full? Pay.

Put a [TRIAL] tag and let the corps decide...

Natasya wrote:
Kristan Delorian wrote:

Put a [TRIAL] tag and let the corps decide...

The issue isn't with them being spys, its that they can bypass the trade and NIC limitations if they are in a corporation.

The reason they don't allow any transfers is to prevent farming on free accounts, in this way they can make as much NIC or farm as many kernels as they want, they just can't do anything with it unless they pay the subscription fee; so opening 100 free accounts to mine with isn't cost effective if you have to pay for 100 accounts to free up the procedes.

Then they need to disallow squads and squads missions for them as well.

Well, at the moment, po is doing a great way to turn the trial players off.

As if we had money farmers as the most important problem atm.

I think most people that are getting a trial account understand they come with limits.

Keeping 'trial members' seperate from the persistant world is the only way to keep it balanced, but it still allows them to get a feel for the game play.

Depends. Without my corp, they now would have 18€ less.

Now your just trolling me.

Nope, im caring about the game and see (its obvious) that we need new players.

Allready we seem to have lost another fellow due to the trial restrictions (he wanted to give feedback, but he even cant post on the forums/theres no trial forum).

And thats about a player that stays and pays ... want to talk about the silent quitters ?

Anyways, the devs will see the problem in their conversion rate. After waking up, here are the reason to be read.

13 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-03-22 11:44:32)

For help for newcomers there is Help chat channel. Ask and you will be heard.

What corporation gives to you? Equipment? Most of newcomers in corps dont have access to corp hangar anyway for a week or two. Help and conversation? There is chat channels for it. Team? Use chat again. Beta access? What could a new player do on the beta islands? If players want some PvP they could form a squad with each other or pirate corps as cannon fodder.

There is no need in corp to be socialized in PO. Even trial players can do so.

I know you read the forums, there are many many things in the game that are more frustrating than the trial restrictions, so all you get by lifting restrictions are players that still leave the game but also the subset of people that use those 15 free days to 'grief' the game. Yes, there are people out there that just join these types of games just to do as much damage as possible.

The player that is going to stay is the player that gets really interested in the game and is willing to pay to unlock the restrictions.

Trying to 'buy' people into the game by giving them NIC and robots isn't a good long term strategy, and as Kristan said, the only social barrier is they don't have access to the offical corp chat, but can be part of a squad and be included as much as you want them to be.

15 (edited by Natasya 2011-03-22 20:16:51)

@Arga ..i wholeheartly agree that the game has bigger problems at the moment.

Thats why im even more suprised they took the time to fix "goldfarming accounts" rather then fix the real problems.

You're also right, that new players shouldn't be "nannied" too much.

But often its about a first experience. In fact im talking about a RL dude i know who i told "stories, how much fun the beta pvp can be" and so on. Thats the pictures he has in mind and says "hey, lets try that cool stuff out!".

But wonder ? Hes not getting to see the beta pvp stuff without a corp (with rl mates).

Nope, newbie experience starts with "Go to those 4 far away points for a boring mission".

Give them two days of that boring stuff without showing them the cool stuff and tada ... you just lost another customer.

Its hard to show on the one hand the endgame prophecies, how cool it all will be, and then on the other, you log into the trial and ... boooring transport missions, boooring scout missions and so on.

I must admit that stEVE has the same problem. I must admit that its also typical for sandboxxy things. But stEVE has the "power" (in terms of playercounts and reports, press coverage and so on, beside a much more better new player introduction), to just ignore those problems.

Players will stay, they have to, they see all the cool stuff on websites, reports, reviews, youtube. They also have faith that it will be cool since 100-thousands are playing it.

PO is new, its fresh, its cool (!). But it needs players.

Players that take a look likely will fall into these categories :

1. The stEVE vet -> Everythings fine, he knows he can/must wait. Hes familiar with the stuff, has not that high learning curve. But perhaps hell just head back to stEVE.

2. The passing by -> Will take a look at the tutorial, will leave. Why ? Its okay its sandbox, but hes not told. Perhaps he ran around looking for an ? above a mech to give him a quest.

3. The guy who knows someone who likes PO, but walks alone -> Will take a look, will think "Wheres that cool stuff he mentioned". Will tell him next day "LOL, you still play that go to 4 points thing ?"

4. The guy from 3. but with a corp and some newbie help -> Will probably have a higher chance to stay...

In eve i was leading a corp section that did nothing else then introduce new players to the game.

I agree its not only the trial restrictions, there much more thats a problem currently, since guy nr 3 should find the way into the game on its own. But since we are currently facing problems on that part, why do we take away solution nr. 4 ?

I also agree, that a game, that has settled a bit, has to counter chinagold, metagaming spies and so on. But why, at this time, we restrict trials even more. The time should have been used to improve the new player experience.

I have corp buddies that work their *** off to get new players into the game. Posting on forums, mouth-to-mouth (how i came here), talking to stEVE buddies. And they allready had to overcome the poor new player introduction, now they cant even trade their light mech after the tutorial for the right one the player needs...

Instead of supporting such people to get players in the game, they made it harder for them.

Its like opening a new shop in the cities. No one comes shopping since of a poor windows dressing. Instead of improving that, you nail some planks on the windows...

edit: 50% of spellings removed, rest still there for you to enjoy smile

DEV Calvin wrote:

If we allow trial accounts to join corps, they have hangar access and the whole item trading and NIC transfer limitation become useless.

And a direct-quote feedback :

At the moment €>NIC. Ive not seen one gold seller yet and i dont think theyll bother with a game with 200 players online.

As access to corp hangar and the like :

It took me to get hangar access (low lvl) even with RL buddies around. I dont have access to the wallet.

If you tag trials, corps will be more carefull than they even should be with every subscriber.

And closing note :

Subscribing is the latest thing that goldsellers fear. Those 15€/month .. theyll laugh in your face, that account will be making hundreds.

You need other anti-goldseller mechanics.

Only thing thats really annoying about trials are "haters", "spammers", "kiddies".

You have GMs to take care about that and they should be able with the current online players count.

Are you guys really paying 15 Euros a month?  Considering I'm paying 10 dollars (or less with multi-month deals), and 15 Euros is ~21 dollars, that seems...expensive.

18 (edited by Natasya 2011-03-22 21:04:24)

Ral wrote:

Are you guys really paying 15 Euros a month?  Considering I'm paying 10 dollars (or less with multi-month deals), and 15 Euros is ~21 dollars, that seems...expensive.

We're used to be ripped of that $=€ sad

But for 2 accounts its around 15 .. was it 16 ? €

I dont care if the game rocks smile

Oh ok if you're talking about two accounts then that's almost exactly the same per account as USD.

Ral wrote:

Oh ok if you're talking about two accounts then that's almost exactly the same per account as USD.

Right .. and that why we Q.Q :

1 US-Dollar = 0,703630735 Euro

big_smile

Kristan Delorian wrote:

For help for newcomers there is Help chat channel. Ask and you will be heard.

What corporation gives to you? Equipment? Most of newcomers in corps dont have access to corp hangar anyway for a week or two. Help and conversation? There is chat channels for it. Team? Use chat again. Beta access? What could a new player do on the beta islands? If players want some PvP they could form a squad with each other or pirate corps as cannon fodder.

There is no need in corp to be socialized in PO. Even trial players can do so.

Goals, Achievments, Equipment, Help, Conversation, Integration into the corp because they can fit a role, Beta Access, a glimpse on the "cool endgame".... and more ..

Yeah, trial players can do so, buts its harder.

I think trial users should be able to join corps with a trial membership. No access to Corp storage, nic transfers, etc. The issue with spies is only a problem if they are allowed to join intel chat, or intrusion events. Corp members will decide if they want them trial members to join in operations. It would be nice to have Corp vs Corp arkhe battles, might spark that coolness factor for new players to want to invest time to pvp in a better bot.

Nope. It's fine the way it is.
They spend a few days getting a feel for the game, if they like it then they sub.
Letting them join corps etc straight up just screws everyone around, including other people in the corp.
Most people who have played for a couple of hours have made up their minds whether they like it or not.
I can just see Natasya leading 15 trial corp mates in Arkhe's onto a Beta Island to show them how it's done, no thanks.

That sounds great to me tbh

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Suey wrote:

I can just see Natasya leading 15 trial corp mates in Arkhe's onto a Beta Island to show them how it's done, no thanks.

Do not underestimate Arkhe's, they are deadly in numbers.