1 (edited by Shadeless 2011-03-19 13:10:24)

Topic: pve raids

For pve content it would be sweet to implement some kind of raid.  Something a new player can run into 1 day, get killed by and say to himself, damn i want to take that huge bot down.

To take a raid down, u need alot of planning and many players. U would need a system to prevent it being farmed by high EP and module equiped people. (wich will be the hardest part). And players have to fail the first times, even when they have enuf people (as in it should be realy hard, and u would haveto know the raid first befor being able to kill it.)

Raids would add some realy nice pve content, and mining toons could remote rep. Would need some kind of making mad module (aggro module, pve only) So a tank could be created, almost every indi toon can haul, so it would be perfect agro machines.

It would give some people reason who are not into pvp to join corpses or to coorporate with 1 to be able to raid.

As always people want targets, targets is why people play.  Targets dun always need to consist out of better modules/weapons bots.  So shinies that drop raids, could be funny stuff, or just existing materials(just a load of em, to say if all those raid participating people would have mined the same time the bot took to take down, they would not haved gained that ammount of materials, wich can be used by indi toons)

The hardest thing of raids is, how do you prevent the big corps farming em 24/7. a once a week able to take it down mechanism, wich counts for a whole alliance. Once an alliance engaged the raid, no others can get in that area. (no instance, but some shiny fence suddenly pops out protecting the enemy base).

Maybe from a certain spend ep ammount, people cannot participate in the raid anymore. Or other hard and dificult mechanisms like above.

But a raid could look like an enemy base (bots guarding a base, where u attack a bullding, destroy it, or something different, and then the big bad boss bot pops out.

Re: pve raids

Nice idea but you provided all the arguments against the idea in your post. No matter what you do, there will be an optimum way to take the raid down and once it's figured out, it'd just farming again.

The problem with stuff like this is one it's beaten everyone whines that there isn't another new one to do and everyone is just grinding out on the ones that are there. This is a sandbox, we need more tools to make our own raids and content, not more static 'grind' to beat.

How about this?

Give me a structure that when I put ore in gives me a perfect refine + x% over say 6 hours. This would be in a dead end valley such that there is only one approach say 500m long. I have to capture it, similar to pve raid, once done I have to put the ore in and I can also supply other things, like turrets and missile launchers. The amount of these I put in determines a number of NPCs I can spawn. This is the balance. If I think I can hold the area for 6 hours with players, I make a large profit from the mechanic. If I think I need help, I can bring stuff with me to provide helpers.

Off the cuff idea but you get some pve raiding and then a PvP raid which has to be defended, have some global notification when one is being activated and then you can get your group together, and come raid me instead of mindless NPCs alone smile

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Kalsius Dakalsai wrote:

Nice idea but you provided all the arguments against the idea in your post. No matter what you do, there will be an optimum way to take the raid down and once it's figured out, it'd just farming again.

The problem with stuff like this is one it's beaten everyone whines that there isn't another new one to do and everyone is just grinding out on the ones that are there. This is a sandbox, we need more tools to make our own raids and content, not more static 'grind' to beat.

How about this?

Give me a structure that when I put ore in gives me a perfect refine + x% over say 6 hours. This would be in a dead end valley such that there is only one approach say 500m long. I have to capture it, similar to pve raid, once done I have to put the ore in and I can also supply other things, like turrets and missile launchers. The amount of these I put in determines a number of NPCs I can spawn. This is the balance. If I think I can hold the area for 6 hours with players, I make a large profit from the mechanic. If I think I need help, I can bring stuff with me to provide helpers.

Off the cuff idea but you get some pve raiding and then a PvP raid which has to be defended, have some global notification when one is being activated and then you can get your group together, and come raid me instead of mindless NPCs alone smile

Sounds good to me, but here again u will have the fact that it will be done by the alrdy based powers.

But something like this sounds pretty fun to me big_smile.

Large alliances will pretty much have it locked down. Perhaps different tier structures for smaller corps to fight over. It's easy to say that larger corps fight over better refining bonus and smaller corps fight over less bonus. But in a way, it's unfair because then smaller corps will never catch up to larger corps.

Just thinking out of the blue here, but what if these structures would deploy mobile turrets that lasts a set time for protection. I.e. Camp for 30min to secure structure, turret lasts for one hr. Would give players who can't spend hours upon hours a day something to contribute to

Also, along with the topic, perhaps there can be a pve event for individuals with group search capability. Doing stuff with other people (not just Corp) is always the funnest way to play a game. I played lots of mmo"s where the game sucked but I stuck around for my friends and guild.

For incentive to participate with others, perhaps "titles" or "achievements" can be introduced based on number of npc killed, minerals mined, or items crafted

I think the idea of having more types of pve events is a great idea, but Raids as you speak, will not work out well, if ONLY for the fact that in perpetuum, a very well informed and skilled player should almost never die in a pve situation, only to other players, because of the risks involved. In games that have raids, dieing incurs an arbitrary penalty (a small amount of currency, or a small loss of experience), and thus, causing the players to die repeatedly just to complete the raid provides a challenge, without significant loss.

In perpetuum, this wont work out, as if you cause players to repeatedly lose the bots they are flying in, people will not be able to afford to continue, unless the rewards are game-breakingly massive...

We could do with community led roleplay events supported by AC on a regular basis.  I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would happily write some stories that could work within the tools the devs give us

The social ingame tools need to be upgraded before this will work.

One thing I noticed specifically when I was out and about, was the lack of an 'area' based chat, or just the ability to 'say' something in the local area.

"Hey, can you help me out with this mob?" or "Want to squad up to do this assignment?" or just "Hey, hows the mining going?"

Things that aren't worth the effort to open a private window about.

A chat window that broadcasts to everyone within 100 meters would go a long way to making this game more social, and encourage more cooperation between random players.

...They came from nowhere. They teleported to unpredictable location where miners deploying their operations. Tonnes of metal, and strange but brave souls in it. They coming once per week, for reasons we dont know. Is it worth to loose twenty highly equipped grophos for pointless fights? Perharps we will never understand nians...

Syndicate logs.

Im requesting: observer intrusions:)

One of the biggest issues I have with pug type raids in this game, would be the lack of mechanics for ninja looters.

It isn't an issue with corporation squads or even groups of friends, but grouping up with 10 random players around an alpha outpost to defend against Observers is going to result in alot of conflict over who gets the kernels; and just the 'style' of game player in PO means someone will ignore the battle and just gather loot.

This is not a suggestion for an ingame loot system, but the 3 or 4 mechs that undock on alpha would be doing most of the repelling, while the newb arkhe's cleaned up the loot. Result; I don't undock for the event.

I love the idea, it just needs some more thought/tool to implemet properly.