Topic: License Agreement Loophole?

From the license agreement which just came up with the patch:

It is forbidden to use any kind of third party application or tool that interfaces with, mimics or interferes with any part of the game system in any way, including the use of macros, control scripts, bots, system time manipulation tools, memory access tools or reverse engineering tools;
* It is forbidden to use any trick, hack or exploit that allows the player to gain ingame currency, or anything that an ingame monetary value can be assigned to, or any kind of unfair advantage over the other players.

So, what I'm going to bring up doesn't effect me personally but I know it will effect a lot of players because they are pretty popular in the MMO scene as a whole.

Does this bit of the agreement stop people from using 3rd party macroing hardware, software or in many cases both (as the hardware has software apps that allow programmed macros to be saved on the device)? 

Here are some examples (personally I'm against using hardware like this):

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards … vices/5123
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_G15
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gamin … px?pid=102

If so, how can you possibly enforce it?  As far as I can tell you'd have to have your game checking hardware and memory for both parts.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

2 (edited by Steeldragonz 2011-03-12 01:16:30)

Re: License Agreement Loophole?

true it can be hard to tell when these sorts of things are being used. But when the macro is just doing things that player needs to oversee there is no difference it just saves button pushes, its when the macro's automate a process to the point that the player is absent that the problems arise as this was brought us before in the beta forums and during the cbt.

If i could find the post i think it was zoom or crm that said as long as full automation and player interaction is completly removed from the activity thats when they have an issue with people macro'in

Edit: those keyboards still require the user to be active in pressing buttons and what not, they are automated software for id of things on the screen and clicking around the user environment [thats the issue i was trying to clarify above]

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Steeldragonz wrote:

true it can be hard to tell when these sorts of things are being used. But when the macro is just doing things that player needs to oversee there is no difference it just saves button pushes, its when the macro's automate a process to the point that the player is absent that the problems arise as this was brought us before in the beta forums and during the cbt.

If i could find the post i think it was zoom or crm that said as long as full automation and player interaction is completly removed from the activity thats when they have an issue with people macro'in

Edit: those keyboards still require the user to be active in pressing buttons and what not, they are automated software for id of things on the screen and clicking around the user environment [thats the issue i was trying to clarify above]

Perhaps, but it explicitly also says anything that gives an unfair advantage to someone else.  If i have the keyboard and you don't have I only have to press 1 button to do 10 things and you still have to push 5 or whatever, I have the advantage.  I mostly think they will be used for mining and whatnot though but I can see where there are implications for combat as well since that doesn't necessarily require mouse movement.

It also doesn't address things like hotkeynet for multiboxing or multiclient single box macros (I run two accounts but control them individually myself)

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

The thing is when you look at the game and how it plays, there arent really any activitys like that they will require presses like that other then maybe lock-on>primary. That is the same for miners as well, because they still need to click the locations to lock/targets[if the macro reads the info fromt he screen then its an illegal prog as covered before]

so the ex. above is basically RF, thats an instant press unless you have issues pressing buttons, macroin that to a single button has no benefit. but individual button presses cut down to a single press again has little benefit but i can understand people not liking the precieved disadvantage, because timelimits/input constraints ect.. all apply in the same way so it still takes the same time to do the actions in the end.

But at the end of the as long a botters[lol] are kept out of the game im happy, as its when they run riot that game loses its intigrity and appeal.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS