Re: Gate Camping Perpetuum endorsed sport

Best way to curb all this is add 20 PVP land masses NOW. Then when it starts up again add more land.

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

Yup, add 20 more PVP land masses and you'll kill PVP. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

hmm, how so?
can your blob-force not cover 20 islands?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Syndic wrote:

hmm, how so?
can your blob-force not cover 20 islands?

If you participate in PVP on a regular basis then you shouldn't be asking that question.

20 more PVP islands would bring us up to 23 PVP/lowsec/nullsec islands. The existing population would be so thinly spread out that it'd be one corp per island, and there would still be empty unused islands.

I'm personally not a fan of roaming for 10+ hours to find one person in-game.

CIR Complaint Form

80 (edited by Kciredor Nov 2011-02-28 01:33:16)

OK 5 more PVP islands or one big land mass as big as three beta islands. I can't imagine a world that is made up of all islands. If you make more Terminals to get into beta areas, the more spread out campers will be, and add an extension to scan the area at the terminal you are hopping to, say it will scan 200 meters around.

How about if you camp within 200 meters of a Terminal and you kill, you go onto a board in all the terminals showing your crimes and rewards are posted and your corp. and alliances are not allowed to get rewards and if you quit a corp or alliance to get the reward, you are banned from getting back into said alliance and corp for 3 months.

EDIT: When they put in alliances!!

PVP should not be shooting fish in a barrel and not looking around for 2 hours for targets.

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

Kciredor Nov wrote:

PVP should not be shooting fish in a barrel and not looking around for 2 hours for targets.

says who?

How about not move after you jump and jump out if there are campers?

83 (edited by Celebro 2011-03-03 16:11:43)

Syndic wrote:

Then most probably mechs will be king as solo pvp will be much more likely, I actually like the idea but I know its not going to happen.

Though I must stress that this will move more to the industry side of the game, which is how the game needs to start off imho. First game needs a healthy economy, with players capable to produce first then more intense PVP will finally come and there will be "real stuff" to actually defend like POS etc. Thats how EVE started. PO is moving to the end game too soon, the chicken must come before the egg, if you catch my drift. There is no linear progression just join a beta corporation and enjoy end game.

Where is the sense of reward in that?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Then most probably mechs will be king as solo pvp will be much more likely, I actually like the idea but I know its not going to happen.

Though I must stress this will move more to the industry side of the game, which is how the game needs to start off imho. First game needs a healthy economy, with players capable to produce first then more intense PVP will finally come and there will be "real stuff" to actually defend like POS etc. Thats how EVE started. PO is moving to the end game too soon, the chicken must come before the egg, if you catch my drift. There is know linear progression just join a beta corporation and enjoy end game.

Where is the sense of reward in that?

Nop, mechs will become extinct in PVP and the "FOTM" will be ewar gangs with 1 scouting light bot with a signal detector to "point" them to targets.

More land does need adding; but not too much too soon, especially not too many Beta islands. Gamma islands with terraforming & player-built bases... by all means, add 300 of those islands. Let everyone find their own little piece of land to build in.

CIR Complaint Form

85 (edited by zigZag 2011-04-09 15:56:15)

The posters that suggested varied spawn sights are right on.  I have played this and it works.  They were talked over, ignored, and they will be soon gone from the game anyway, or doing pve stuff until someone gets a clue.

The game is probably not able to use varied spawn sights.  This leaves gate busters.  If players camp gates, they need to get nerfed, in the sense, they need to be blown up. A bomb carried by a player bot, that gets credit for all the kills, maybe even has time to pick up the loot. Camps at gates should be discouraged to the point of the game griefing campers, within 1k meters.

I know,,,,,We got this rock, and its ours, and we have alliances with almost everyone that pvps, and now we want to cry about "there is nothing to do" until they let us shoot the sheep. And now half the peeps that helped us take this rock are at their end game, and in another game taking another rock, for some "I WON" fanatics.  The risks on Beta should be everywhere, not just spawns.  The risks for both attacker, and defender. Small groups should be able to inflict damage to large groups. Gate camps don't enable this part of the game form being common place. If demand, demands loss, and risk=reward, then balance needs to not favor gate camps.

P.S.  jumping in and out of a spawn sight because of a timer is cookoo.  Sitting in a safe zone facing the foe, even running around in the zone, or forming up for a attack, is what the zone is for.  If you don't want anyone jumping into your part of the world, ask for a lock on the spawn.  This part about shooting anyone that jumps into "our" zone of control before they can blink, is a "win button" if i ever saw one. Or am i just crazy..

zigZag wrote:

The posters that suggested varied spawn sights are right on.  I have played this and it works.  They were talked over, ignored, and they will be soon gone from the game anyway, or doing pve stuff until someone gets a clue.

The game is probably not able to use varied spawn sights.  This leaves gate busters.  If players camp gates, they need to get nerfed, in the sense, they need to be blown up. A bomb carried by a player bot, that gets credit for all the kills, maybe even has time to pick up the loot. Camps at gates should be discouraged to the point of the game griefing campers, within 1k meters.

I know,,,,,We got this rock, and its ours, and we have alliances with almost everyone that pvps, and now we want to cry about "there is nothing to do" until they let us shoot the sheep. And now half the peeps that helped us take this rock are at their end game, and in another game taking another rock, for some "I WON" fanatics.  The risks on Beta should be everywhere, not just spawns.  The risks for both attacker, and defender. Small groups should be able to inflict damage to large groups. Gate camps don't enable this part of the game form being common place. If demand, demands loss, and risk=reward, then balance needs to not favor gate camps.

P.S.  jumping in and out of a spawn sight because of a timer is cookoo.  Sitting in a safe zone facing the foe, even running around in the zone, or forming up for a attack, is what the zone is for.  If you don't want anyone jumping into your part of the world, ask for a lock on the spawn.  This part about shooting anyone that jumps into "our" zone of control before they can blink, is a "win button" if i ever saw one. Or am i just crazy..

No offense, but you sound very jaded.

87 (edited by Crepitus 2011-04-13 17:55:27)

zigZag wrote:

I agree.  It is an "I WIN" button, and even more so now because you used to have a damage immunity timer that went along with the one that stopped you from jumping back so if you didn't move you were safe for almost the entire CD of the jumping one aka most people jumped back and got away.

That spawned tons of QQ from the gate campers saying "wtf it's a pvp zone we should get the kill".  Once again, the devs listen to big corps over anyone else and in at least one confirmed case is a member of one.  They're not impartial, so changes often favor one side.

I would MUCH prefer the ability to hit a TP that goes to an island, have your map pop up and be given crosshairs and be able to teleport in to any point on the island not impassable terrain.  This would leave you stuck there til you can get back to, say, an internal gate that doesn't allow that or an external one that lets you jump out with the obvious exception of transport mechs like sequers and lithuses. 

In doing so, it also nerfs the viability of gate camping and would offer alternatives to giant blobs all moving in a scared herd since people could coordinate to jump at different places and converge on a point or something and get a chance at surprise.

This would really open up the islands to attack and give small groups and individuals at least a chance to be tactical without getting hit with demobs and murdered at the gate before their client even fully loads.

Thanks to the unlimited trial accounts on top of people's already eye-alt accounts the gates to all islands are nearly perpetuually (yep.) camped.

here come the flames smile

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Crepitus wrote:

:Summary:

Have you even stepped on a Beta island?

It's always fun to see players that obviously haven't played on beta islands complaining.

If you went to see instead of reading trash here, you'd see that getting on and off beta isn't that difficult most times. Many find ways and get by fine. Play with others and you may be surprised at what can be done.

"No offense, but you sound very jaded."

Damn, someone smacked me on the back of the head..ouch, I guess i did. Blame it on the vid that was posted, please. I have payed with gate camps, not here,,,yet. I accept Toku and Cookie Monsta's statements as true.  With three spawn points for each island, this is acceptable. Beats the hell out of 1.

Just for reference, gate mechs can include, ejection of spies in a random direction 500 meters from the gate, inflict armor damage on a clock, include a 1000 meter pvp zone on both sides of the spawn for intrusions.  Nukes to clear a 500, 750, 1000 meter zone for beacheads.

If spawn points are going to be centers of conflict, whats happening in the vid is not what i want to play.

Toku wrote:

It's always fun to see players that obviously haven't played on beta islands complaining.

If you went to see instead of reading trash here, you'd see that getting on and off beta isn't that difficult most times. Many find ways and get by fine. Play with others and you may be surprised at what can be done.

Just because the game is a failure and there's not enough people to gate camp all gates does not mean it will forever be that way.

Better to nip the problem in the bud than to let it flower and send this game even further down the ***.

I summon yee old thread to the front page!

How have things been ?

Is there still tons of camping of teh gates?

Just camping of unkillable gate scouts....and Unkillable undocking scouts.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Kciredor Nov wrote:

I can't imagine a world that is made up of all islands.

You obviously haven't read enough science fiction.

Or even real science.

The other day scientists discovered a star made entirely of diamond.

Trap Card wrote:
Kciredor Nov wrote:

I can't imagine a world that is made up of all islands.

You obviously haven't read enough science fiction.

Or even real science.

The other day scientists discovered a star made entirely of diamond.

Or played enough Civilization or Alpha Centauri big_smile

Only nubs play Civ on islands so they can spend 200 turns building up then steamroll enemy with stack of doom. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Mmmm stack of doom. Sounds like all-you-can-eat pancakes with butter and blueberry syrup... maybe I'm making them wrong though, because they aren't very useful for steamrolling big_smile

Stacks of doom were definitely an issue up into civ4.  However civ5 basically killed that problem, so island based maps can be substantially harder than continent based maps because even a *** ai setting can defend against an attack much easier because there are generally less tiles to spread a death machine onto.  Also: cities can strike vessels.

Arga: I'll take your blueberry syrup and raise you boysenberry syrup!

And to answer the question posed by the above necromancer: teleport nonsense abilities are at an all time high.

-.-

Well played... I fold.

Just to point out how insidious exploits are, in the original Civ it was possible to move/attack save the game, quit, restart and move/attack again. You can get the spaceship launched by 1500 that way. I tried, really hard to not use it once it was known, but when you lose a city to the hordes and your nearest unit is 6 turns away ... I also blame Civ for my c average in college hmm  That and boysenberry syrup.

I cba to read all of this ancient thread but I really think the DEVs have made the right choice here.  Gate camping was always faggy in EvE and detered people from going out and actually finding an enemy squad to fight.  Nothing was gained from it except that everyone used to go around with a trial account scout 1 jump ahead of them.  I think it would be even worse if it was introduced in perp.

or did i just fall for some kind of troll tongue

+1
-Confucius