Re: I have bad feeling about future success of this game... :-(

Didn't you read the future plans? Everything is comings. At least they didn't do like Warhammer online where they only started with 2 cities to siege and took them a year and a half to get more.

Me and a buddy came to this game yesterday, I hadn't heard or seen anything about this game till he said he had spotted it.... We checked out the forums and then watched some vids and thought the game looked pretty f-in cool and subbed straight away!.

I'm really liking the game to be honest and am already looking forward to the exploration update which is coming WOOT!.

The only downsides to us stumbling on this game is that  YOU didnt market this game properly..... If it wasnt for my bud I wouldnt have even known about it and the fact there are no free trial (dont forget new players cannot even reply on forums without subbing so those freind invite key codes and not up to it tbh, why not just implement and bog standard free trial code for all ?

Anyway just thought Id point out that NEW PLAYERS are trickling through the doors and are looking at the game but its a very close call wether noobs will pay first without getting a trail.

Liking what ive seen in the first 24 hours of gametime smile

The proper communication of the game is planned to start along with some of the new features and the new zones described in the dev blog. It will also include granting a trial period for new users.

DEV Calvin wrote:

The proper communication of the game is planned to start along with some of the new features and the new zones described in the dev blog. It will also include granting a trial period for new users.

Thats awesome man, Thanks

55 (edited by XB63C 2011-02-22 04:39:46)

Coming™

Sounds a bit familiar.

The plant cycle count change cost P an account. I have a specilized harvestor, that account will expire. Harvesting is now less fun than a root canal. I know, have had eight. sad

I will maintain my combat account for now. I will collect and distribute my EP. I may even occasionally leave the terminal and do something.

For those poo pooing Rift, did you play any of the beta? It is the best of that genre that I have played. I have played alot of them, including WOW. Rift is fun, engaging and addictive.

Now to the topic. When I started playing P, I was not expecting Eve in robots. I was expecting something better. Rougher yes, Eve was much rougher in its youth, but better. The developers appear they have played Eve. So I assumed that they would have looked at CCPs long history of expansions and mistakes and learn from them. It does not appear that they have.

It is great to have a niche game. But you need to attract enough people to pay the bills and grow. Carebears are the key to financial success. I believe over 80% of CCPs income comes from carebear accounts (those that live almost exclusively in hisec). PVE combat content, interesting resource collection, profitable industry and the ability to play happily without unwanted PVP combat are all things that make the carebear heart happy.

The upcoming feature list in the DEV blog does bear some promise so let's give this great game a chance.  Perpetuum is one of the very few decent sandbox games and is still very young so let's bear with the growing.

its a bit of a pity its become a two side war on the betas. With the new folks coming you might see some break in that but i doubt it.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Dude, coming from you I find that a bit strong. You have an alliance that makes half the server population .. what did you expect would happen?

Annihilator said: Walking careless onto hokko without masking is like jumping into a bathtub with the hungry 30cm piranhas (infestation)
GLiMPSE™'s CoolPoints™ Leaderboard

This always happens regardless of prior numberas or factions - its group dynamics.

Greetings all.

I’m new to P.O. but old to MMORPGS, and from my helicopter view point I can see some flaws in the game with regards to catching new customers.

There is a verily explained storyline and a total absence of a quest line. Unless you have been through the site and forums you don’t know where you are and why you’re there. Naturally the first question that comes to one’s mind in such a state of utter confusion is: “why do I care, let me go back to WoW”.

At least very early on players will hook onto a well written storyline. I fell that the “RPG” part of MMORPG has been truncated. When you get in the game for the first time you ought to fall toe to toe with a 3D female top model called RUBY telling you how well you did during you preliminary training on earth and how amazing you are and how much they count on you to save the world on this spectacular world called Nia. The tutorial should kick in after that.

After your 10 tutorial missions you’re still bewildered by this new environment and open hearted like a child in a new house, then comes the cold shower: here’s a Castel now go grind. Barely one hour after opening the P.O box you’re thrown into the work like environment of grinding. Kill the 10 robots at location X or deliver package to station Y, rinse and repeat. You were just getting into the game and now you feel like your back in your office chair.

Hardcore gamers and genre loving are still hanging on at this point because they know there is more to it, but the rest have dropped out before getting that precious 1.0 standing with some or other faction.

Once the tutorial mission line is over you should keep on being basket in a world of robot lore and technological mumbo jumbo that really makes you feel like you are a robot pilot. Better yet you ought to feel like “THE ROBOT PILOT” who is going to save the WORLD, or at least the corporation for which works the marvelously pixeled 3D super model called RUBY that welcomed you when you first created your avatar. So after receiving a virtual pat on the back and a digitalized compliment from a flirty immaterial npc, you ought to be sent to another station where they absolutely need YOUR EXPERT help to recover the holy hand grenade or something of such.

For a number of hours too great to fit in a normal gaming day, the player should be kept in a chain of very varied missions, and he should have a greater sense of purpose than trying to NEC and EP for the next robot and the reputation for the lvl 2 agent down the line.

Once you’ve settled in the game nicely, the incentive of getting a bigger robot and waiting for an “OP pwning EP skillset” is sufficient to keep you going. In the first gaming hours it’s not the case for anything short of the hardcore gamers.

PS The recruitment channel should be open per default on startup and it should flash RED and makes jingle tune when someone posts a recruitment add. It should be so visible and emphasized that it be impossible for someone to have retrieved the holy hand grenade before joining a corporation and feeling as a part of the community. Give the channel a big heading like “UNTIL YOU JOIN A CORPORATION RUBY WILL NOT SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN”.

Just waiting for POS. Everything is meaningless in the meantime.

Although the blogs have been great and I'm liking some of the new featurs being brought into the game, the devs are doing a nice job. smile

Plz no robot save the cheerleader save the world. EP progression/bot progression should not be leveling in a same *** - different package.

Its enough that EP gives advantage to whoever started playing first, not necessary to have advantage for who started playing first & has no life to grind "levels".

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Well wrote syndic. Agreed, at this point a good game of online poker is as much attraction to a lot of people. Next patch will make or bury the potential of this game.

XB63C wrote:

It is great to have a niche game. But you need to attract enough people to pay the bills and grow. Carebears are the key to financial success. I believe over 80% of CCPs income comes from carebear accounts (those that live almost exclusively in hisec). PVE combat content, interesting resource collection, profitable industry and the ability to play happily without unwanted PVP combat are all things that make the carebear heart happy.

Unfortunately, this is all true. Carebears rule all games whether we like it or not. Now PvE in Perpetuum is just as bad as it is in EvE. Newcoming PvP'ers on the other hand will always be at a disadvantage of being forever behind in terms of EP. It is not possible to fix those issues anytime soon. What's left ? Let's hear it again:

Marketing.

So the "hardcore" PVPers with the DEV's ear won? dont give up so easily, we could adapt and make a change?

66 (edited by Campana 2011-02-22 20:17:24)

JeanMi Requile wrote:

I fell that the “RPG” part of MMORPG has been truncated.

This is a good point. You completely spoiled it by following up with this:

When you get in the game for the first time you ought to fall toe to toe with a 3D female top model called RUBY telling you how well you did during you preliminary training on earth and how amazing you are and how much they count on you to save the world on this spectacular world called Nia. [...] So after receiving a virtual pat on the back and a digitalized compliment from a flirty immaterial npc, you ought to be sent to another station where they absolutely need YOUR EXPERT help to recover the holy hand grenade or something of such.

If you want to be THE ROBOT PILOT who SAVES THE WORLD you should be looking for a single player game or a highly instanced mission-based game like Guild Wars (or SWTOR). The whole point of like Perpetuum is that no-one is guaranteed heroism or success. You make your reputation within the community. You might succeed, you might fail. That's the lure, the thing that makes the game worthwhile.

Also, constantly running around a game and being told how great and heroic you are is cheesy and annoying. As if I need a bunch of pixels to tell me what I know already.

JeanMi Requile wrote:

After your 10 tutorial missions you’re still bewildered by this new environment and open hearted like a child in a new house, then comes the cold shower: here’s a Castel now go grind. Barely one hour after opening the P.O box you’re thrown into the work like environment of grinding.

Agreed, the PvE is seriously lacking, and that's something they are going to fix.

Just remember PvE doesn't have to involve your own personal dev-created storyline to follow. I personally think it should introduce, explain and expand the background story without over-emphasising the player's role.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

We know you don't need it Camp ... but you are kick-ass heroic, and the best Kain dancer around!

Annihilator said: Walking careless onto hokko without masking is like jumping into a bathtub with the hungry 30cm piranhas (infestation)
GLiMPSE™'s CoolPoints™ Leaderboard

68 (edited by Ember 2011-02-22 21:49:56)

Hourglass wrote:

This game is without a doubt an EVE copy.  A single persistent server, no instances, skill based, the vast majority of skills have an exact EVE equivalent, economy is player driven, mechs are fitted with modules, accumulator = capacitor, CPU, Powergrid, Armor shields, mechs have weapon and other bonus's, weapon systems are lifted completely from EVE.... the comparisons are nearly endless.  Anyone who says this isn't a copy of EVE either hasn't played EVE or is a slobbering fanboi trying to distance this game from one they don't care for.

[praise and positive outlook edited out]

The EVE comparisons are wearing me out.  I get that the interface is similar, but the laundry list of comparisons here and elsewhere are not unique to EVE/PO.  EVE wasn't the first and PO won't be the last, and once you pile in the handful of other games like SWG what your looking at is a genre, not a copy.

WASD control, LOS, varying terrain maps, lack of transversal velocity, faster pace of combat... I would also argue that missions in EVE were as close to instances as you could get without leaving the main server pop... No war decs, No autopilotm I could go on but why bother.  Once a week there is a noob screaming in help chat because they can't find an EFT and can't wrap their brains around the idea that what worked in EVE may not apply here because the mechanics and play styles are different.

This is not EVE... same feel, same genre, different game... Approach it with an open mind rather creating expectations around the things your familiar with... If you can't do that then surprise!!! EVE is better at being EVE than PO, but PO makes a better PO then EVE ever will herp derp.

P.S. - Most fantasy MMO's are not WOW clones either, but the convo always pops up anyway

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

This game is unique compaired to the other MMO's ive played except for the grining at the start which im finding a bit dud. In other games you still get the chance of gaining uber loot drops to fund your progression but here its hours and hours for the same couple of low value items farming 1st star havocs and those items they drop.

EP wise i dont mind the wait but more nic for running missions or hunting would help me faster into afford some noob pvp to split the grinding up or buy uprages and weapons to atleast try to farm the higher level npcs.

Apart from this I still like my first couple days on the game big_smile

Free trials are coming? Get ready for the farmer invasion.

Purgatory wrote:

Free trials are coming? Get ready for the farmer invasion.

Put restrictions on trading, use of field containers and use of the market?

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

syndicate noob training island. chat-connection only to dedicated chat channels,
and a free forced respec at the end of the training.

Trial user cant skip training, paid accounts can.

something like that should be implemented.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Can you imagine the amount of work that would be?

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

allot, i know.

the alternative would be a thight GM observation of the chat channels and whats happening around the terminals to catch spambots or goldfarmers.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

with the changes to alpha resources, less ore and lower prices on kernels, its already difficult for new players to earn NIC, I would assume NIC farmers would have the same problems. That is, they have to earn X NIC/hour to make it economically feasible to farm, and they need to have a large enough player base to try to sell the NIC to.

For instance, if they make 1 Million NIC/hour they would have to sell it for like $5 us dollars per Million to make any money at it. Don't know about anyone else, not that I would buy NIC, but if I did I certainly wouldn't pay $5/M.

If they can somehow break 10M NIC/hour, like they were probably doing prepatch with 10 miners on alpha, than they may get more takers at $1 per 2 Million... but again, combat kernel farming is too user intenive to run multiples, and there just aren't the same volume of ore's to AFK mine with 10 arganos .... not to mention they know this trick and banned those accounts before.

Not that someone couldn't find a way, so just DON'T BUY NIC and they will go away. smile