Re: Root Issue: INCENTIVES TO PLAY, INCENTIVES TO FIGHT

Syndic wrote:
Redline wrote:

The points still stand. Why should one class of bots be free to dictate fights and do the fighting? The demob thing doesnt do anything.

Youll need a gang of diverse mechs to cope with gang of dps fit EW. The latter is easier to achieve, cheaper and your still free to roam anywhere.

Who is dictating fights? The ewars who run away because they can't kill anything BUT a lonely mech/group of noobs who dont know wtf they're doing,, or mechs who stand wherever they wanna stand and ewars have to run away from them?

What exactly do you want? 120kph base speed on mechs (for a start)?

Of course faster mechs doesnt make sense. But EWs should either be able to use their max speed with EW eq only - or when using guns (which) they arent meant for - be slower as lights.

or b) have their max speed be a temporary ability to still be able to tackle and scout - but not to rush in and out and evade enemy fire while being capable of returning fire, which makes them op for that small amount of money/ressources and setup requirements.

A temporary speed aterburn that overloads interference and last for until interference level isnt up would work on all families independant of accumulator, bring a negative element to them so reduce their offensive capabilities and would time base the afterburn effect until interference reduced again back to 0.

202 (edited by Tiggus 2011-02-20 18:22:21)

I think I get your point pretty clearly, you want a level based MMO where the next bot type is better in all ways than the previous bot.  Unfortunately(for some), this isn't that type of game and many of us are glad for that as even the beginner bots have a useful role to fill and diversity in endgame.

No i dont want that - but see - EW arent primarily being used for EW tongue and if you dont want any progression at all - then alle vehicles should have the same price.

Redline wrote:

No i dont want that - but see - EW arent primarily being used for EW

Mine is. It's very irritating to watch everyone else pile up kills whilst I'm stuck demobbing, but oh well.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

So, we both meed in the middle and demobcontest?

206 (edited by Campana 2011-02-20 19:45:59)

Redline wrote:

So, we both meed in the middle and demobcontest?

Not sure what your point is?

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Me neither hmm

Redline wrote:

No i dont want that - but see - EW arent primarily being used for EW tongue and if you dont want any progression at all - then alle vehicles should have the same price.

How so? Ewar bots are ambush-bots. They are ganker, Player Killer bots designed EXACTLY for what they're doing now - light roamers who pick off easy targets / support heavy DPS bots.

If EW bots should only have EWar, why do Industrial bots have weapon slots? Why can demobs & plates guns& & shields be fitted on them? They're harvesters and miners, not fighter bots. By same analogy, why should assault/Mechs have head slots? They're DPS, surely it would be only right they can't use EW devices.

No offense bro but you were in MO and you're not that stupid. Same rules apply, if you can't be bothered to form coherent thought process and realize walking around solo in a Mech on a Beta island is not a smart idea, then you aren't going to last on Beta.

There's a place where people CAN walk around solo without danger, Alpha islands. If you don't bother to take precautions and assume you'll get gankers on your tail, you can't really complain when you get ganked.

And complaining about "player progression" is complaining in the wrong game. There's no "levels" here to be gained, except skill. While it's nice to flex the epeen and walk in a mech, its sure as hell nicer to gank a newbie who rushes into a mech with just a light bot. Or an EW bot.

Its a simple rule - don't pilot what youre not prepared to lose, don't pilot what you're not ready to pilot effectively.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Its a simple rule - don't pilot what youre not prepared to lose, don't pilot what you're not ready to pilot effectively and don't whine when you break this rule.

Fixed.

210 (edited by Redline 2011-02-20 22:43:40)

I know Syn, im doing it that exact way - but - its monotoniuous(that speeeeled right?) to have a dedicated ganker bot.

The overall setup abilities are quiet limited in this game and the role assignment like you put it, limit variety even further. Its not really sandboxy.

Its an ill hybrid atm with a limited setup choice but assigned roles. Hybrid issues have always been the balance killer in mmos.

So either put up more variety for all bot classes or limit the ones that benefit the most from the hybrid.

Redline wrote:

I know Syn, im doing it that exact way - but - its monotoniuous(that speeeeled right?) to have a dedicated ganker bot.

The overall setup abilities are quiet limited in this game and the role assignment like you put it, limit variety even further. Its not really sandboxy.

Its an ill hybrid atm with a limited setup choice but assigned roles. Hybrid issues have always been the balance killer in mmos.

So either put up more variety for all bot classes or limit the ones that benefit the most from the hybrid.

I completely disagree mate. I feel the only limit to the fit setup and the sandbox is human imagination (besides the obvious EP limit).

I've seen Termis kill light bots, Sequers demobbing a guy who just finished killing 5 Baphs solo so the surviving Baph could survive, Kains demobbing & raping an entire EW group solo, dedicated EW pilots laying down a network of lock-breaks and demobs to prepare 10+ kills for 2-3 fast DPS mechs, Arkhe Mk2's obliterating Termis, entire mining fleet outrunning a light-bot gank squad until more guards arrived. Pure EW mechs, pure DPS light EW running around an island locking down mining operations for 6+ hours.

It's all out there happening... All it takes is 1 guy with the balls & idea for a lulz-worthy setup to pull off something very effective and suprising. Ofc you can get stuck in the "EW should be EW, DPS should be DPS, RR should be RR" heal-dps-tank mindset, but thankfully this game DOES step out of the box when it comes to viable setups.

Theoretically speaking, every bot in the game is a hybrid, the degree of which is entirely left to the player himself. Besides, since we share the same background I'm sure you can agree the variety & sandbox effect is much better then 99% of the server being the exact same race & exact same build, with 5% variation in skills if someone is an archer-mage or a melee-mage.

And its only been out for what, 3 months? A year down the line, can you have a server-stable, no lag, no invisible players fight in that Other Sandbox Game? Give em time, more variety is already coming. wink

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

212 (edited by Redline 2011-02-21 00:30:47)

Yes thats good for a laugh, like those rocket-powered arganaos ;P but these are occasions decided by luck on what you fit - you dont here of the occasions where something didnt work obviously.

If you fit your stuff it later on depends on what you encounter. And if your fastest you always have the means to withdraw. Thats not quiet an i-win button - but a dont-loose button.

And, calling several modules diversity is strange: if you equip your bot with a fork, yes youll be the winner when you encounter someone who equipped pie.

Thanks for the discussion all, let's wait and see what the new features bring.  Could be some improvements to incentives to grind NIC and EP/bot progression.