26 (edited by Drahkar 2011-02-17 09:57:43)

Re: The Truth behind Insurance Fraud - Dev. Misconduct & Player Injustice

Jita has a good (obvious and old) point :

Is it also an exploit to have PvP tournaments between friends, or duels, involving insured bots?

Is it only an exploit if the bot that gets destroyed has no modules fitted, and if so, is it also an exploit if all he has is a syntec sensor amp? If syntec gear counts as having nothing due to their near-zero cost, what if he has a single tier 1 laser, is it still an exploit?

Is it an exploit if a noob genuinely has cheap gear to the point where he unknowingly makes a small profit from the insurance payout? Will this evildoer be banned?

If I insure a single bot then walk it into mobs, is it an exploit? If not, what if I do it with 9 bots? Still not an exploit, but 10 is considered industrial scale, what's the magic number? Does it start being an exploit when the economy is affected? How do you determine if it has been?

Also, will innocent people be compensated for all the trouble you've caused in examples like in the following quote (from this very thread)?

Herp Derp wrote:

yes, styx and all cheater should stfu because obviously they got their nic removed but not all the they have done with this exploit as stated in the eula, and they took enormous advantage over the player base over the months and still do (who can sell 800 sequer....) no doubt that without all this insta money trick they would not be the "good" pvper they are now
we know now that you are not so good, unfortunatly with all the money you still have from this exploit you will still brag for this title until the money you have accumulated will run out (eventually.....)

and all your apparent effort to help the game as now laughable because it look much more like helping to get more people in a game where you ghave the upper hand because you found how to exploit the system

The Perpetuum Team should do a counter interview on Massively (if it's not undervay already)

let see if you continue to promote the game that now it's no more your own little private farm

So I'd like to ask the dev team a few more questions.

The smart thing to do would've been not to name anyone, but since it's too late for that, perhaps naming every individual would help. You don't seem to care that half the corps in Infestation are ENTIRELY innocent and of the ones that aren't entirely so, most members are innocent aswell. Although Norhoop Alliance is not affected nearly as much by the bad press, the same could be said for them. Did you really think Herp Derp in the above quote would read your blog and then tell themselves that less than 5% of 2 corps in Infestation are "guilty"?

Also, do you deny the fact that someone could've mistaken this for an unintended yet allowed mechanic? How do you explain the fact that there were no clear rules on the matter even though it would take you all of a few minutes to let everyone know (ahead of time) that it was an exploit?

Do you realize that of all the other games I know that have an insurance mechanic similar to this (there's only one, Eve Online), ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of them consider this a legit means of converting a bot into currency?

Can you confirm that despite knowing this (let's not kid anyone, you know about Eve Online as do a huge portion of your players) you believe it fair not to specify that in this game insurance fraud is an exploit?

Didn't you think someone would eventually come from Eve Online and unknowingly use a mechanic that is very familiar to them, sincerely believing to be innocent? Which is exactly what seems to have happened.

If you can't answer these questions in a satisfactory manner, don't you think the people you punished are innocent? If so, shouldn't you do right by them and at the VERY LEAST clean their name? Are you not worried that uninvolved people (like me) and uninvolved corps (like mine) will be extremely worried about the future of this game if you cannot treat your customers fairly despite the fact that the fault is entirely yours?

EDIT : please do the same thing to my post and quote the questions one by one, then adress them. Good luck I guess. roll

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

27 (edited by Jelan 2011-02-17 12:08:08)

It's interesting to read from both perspectives.  Everyones reality of the world is different, as far as I was concerned we did publicise this to the devs and although it can be considered taking advantage there wasn't any nefarious cloak and dagger on our part.

We quite openly told the devs we were doing it, so no one was 'caught'. I even joked with a GM in general chat one day about it.

Obviously it was a broken mechanic that anyone could use and we did, in good faith.

Now the way it has been handled is shockingly bad, if the devs had approached us we would have worked with then, as it is they have told us off like controlling parents and created a lot of anger and frustration across the community.

All i can say is try talking to us as adults In the future Devs, you might be surprised at the result

Drahkar wrote:

Jita has a good (obvious and old) point :

Is it also an exploit to have PvP tournaments between friends, or duels, involving insured bots?

Is it only an exploit if the bot that gets destroyed has no modules fitted, and if so, is it also an exploit if all he has is a syntec sensor amp? If syntec gear counts as having nothing due to their near-zero cost, what if he has a single tier 1 laser, is it still an exploit?

Is it an exploit if a noob genuinely has cheap gear to the point where he unknowingly makes a small profit from the insurance payout? Will this evildoer be banned?

If I insure a single bot then walk it into mobs, is it an exploit? If not, what if I do it with 9 bots? Still not an exploit, but 10 is considered industrial scale, what's the magic number? Does it start being an exploit when the economy is affected? How do you determine if it has been?

From today's changelog:

* New: Reactivated robot insurance with revised calculations. We'll be closely monitoring price changes, and insurance fraud (deliberately using insurance to gain any unintended benefit) is now officially considered an exploit, and as such punishable by account suspension according to the EULA.

Drahkar wrote:

Also, do you deny the fact that someone could've mistaken this for an unintended yet allowed mechanic?

No, that's the reason we didn't call it an exploit. This was explained in my post.

Drahkar wrote:

Do you realize that of all the other games I know that have an insurance mechanic similar to this (there's only one, Eve Online), ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of them consider this a legit means of converting a bot into currency?

Can you confirm that despite knowing this (let's not kid anyone, you know about Eve Online as do a huge portion of your players) you believe it fair not to specify that in this game insurance fraud is an exploit?

Didn't you think someone would eventually come from Eve Online and unknowingly use a mechanic that is very familiar to them, sincerely believing to be innocent? Which is exactly what seems to have happened.

This is not Eve Online, this is Perpetuum. You have to know the rules just like you have to know the law when you travel to a foreign country. Not knowing the rules is never an excuse.

nice read ., ethical discrepances at most, or also "Rookie Dev team meets Mmo shark".
Seems Devs had a naive behaviour on this subject, but good comunication can fix all, and its good to hear some apologies (rare response to a common situation).
Players where told insurance was legit, and some decided to prove how wrong Dev´s where, get used to that. Some ppl play games to find their flaws, they are entitled to do so, but imho Dev´s works is too to perma balance game and even make adhoc rules to correct imbalances caused by large escale frauds. Insurance had no problem at all itself unless u make it you main activity in game, why do so, because you gain more billions? pls, ethical issues indeed.
life working as intended

30 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-02-17 14:07:48)

It's a shame, Zoom, that you could not be bothered in the previous thread to have had as considered response as here, instead of riding on someone trolling my posts to you.  I find it amusing that now the term is balancing the economy, when in the other thread it was removing illegally obtained wealth.

Edit - And yes, you did call it an exploit in the previous thread, and used it as justification for removal of NIC, even if that NIC was obtained via legitimate means not related to insurance.

Second Edit - And yes, if you go to another country, you need to know the laws there.  But those laws are published, anyone who makes an effort can look them up.  What is needed here is a forum or sticky thread with an Exploit List, inclusive not exclusive, that allows a player to know what the known issues are and Avatar's stance on their "legality".

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Every game has these type of bugs.  It's well known to anyone who plays mmo's.  It can break the the game in a day if left unchecked.  Anyone who uses these exploits knows its not part of the games intened play and has a chance of getting banned.

Its the same in every game.  Toon gets banned for exploiting:  QQ a river on the forum.

"I didnt know it wasnt allowed"
"Everyone else is doing it" 
"I only used it 1 time" 
"Im going to call my lawyer"
"Everyone petition the GMs for me"

Just feel lucky they only took your nic.

32 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-02-17 14:14:06)

DOA wrote:

Every game has these type of bugs.  It's well known to anyone who plays mmo's.  It can break the the game in a day if left unchecked.  Anyone who uses these exploits knows its not part of the games intened play and has a chance of getting banned.

Its the same in every game.  Toon gets banned for exploiting:  QQ a river on the forum.

"I only used it 1 time" 

Please reread some of the above post - if you had read them carefully, you would have seen that not in every MMO is this considered an illegal activity.  As stated, EVE allows such activity as part of game play.  So you statement is incorrect.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

33 (edited by Redline 2011-02-17 14:25:14)

A little common sense helps a lot. It is the responsability of the players to ensure that theyre not doing anything unwanted - and of course the scale at which things happen is a quiet important point.

The mechanic can work as intended and still it can be misused. To insure against unwanted loss is the intention - to insure against wanted loss is not.

edit: if yure tried to be on the safe side and asked the DEVs about the mechanic, you should have asked: "is it ok to use insurance to gain money in large scale?" - and not - "is insurance working as intended?"

The intention is a different one - and this is about intentions only.

34 (edited by DOA 2011-02-17 14:24:59)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:
DOA wrote:

"I only used it 1 time" 

Please reread some of the above post - if you had read them carefully, you would have seen that not in every MMO is this considered an illegal activity.  As stated, EVE allows such activity as part of game play.  So you statement is incorrect.

Any action that destroys a games market or game play is an exploit.  If it gives one side an unfair advantage its and exploit.  They knew it wasnt working as intended and took full advantage.

Typical respose: In another game this action is allowed.

This is not EVE.

NOW you see what you've done? server is broken...IT"S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Have a productive day, Runner

36 (edited by DOA 2011-02-17 14:34:08)

Ive seen similar variants of this bug in many game and never once was it consideder legal game play. 

I buy and item from one npc and truck it cross map and sell to another npc for 10% more. 

On a small scale there isnt an issue and this wouldnt be a big deal.  Working as intended.

However, there is always the one guy who figues out a way to exploit.  Well if i get 20 trial accounts i can do this 20 times every trip.    Not working as intended.

If there is a will there is a way.  Dosn't mean its legal.

IMO, both sides of this issue are right AND wrong. 

Devs:
Wrongs:
"Naming & Shaming"
"Passing judgment prior to warning that this act was indeed an exploit"
"Neglected a broken element for far too long, to the point that it became a serious problem"
Rights:
"Finally took the time to fix this broken element"
"Accepted responsibility for some of their mistakes"

Players:
Wrongs:
"Overly used this broken system, which they clearly felt was wrong since they continuously felt the need to question GM's and DEV's about the legitimacy of this behaviour"
Rights:
"Overly used this broken system to force AC to pay attention to the problem; so that it could be fixed before the game becomes too old to be fixable and maintain it's player base"

Both sides argued over moot points, this happens when people become defensive.  It's a natural reaction when someone feels attacked.  Once someone is in defensive mode they are far less likely to come out of it for a while.  They will continue to defend their actions regardless of being right or wrong. 

So to everyone involved I say to you, for the love of gaming and humanity, "Please, take a step back from this 'event' and take a breather.  We're all here because we enjoy this game.  None of us want to leave, but we all want a little respect.  Respect that WILL NOT be given while throwing around rediculous propaganda and finger pointing.  I recommend we all apologize, shake hands, agree that this was handled poorly (on all sides), and move on, because if we can't, or won't, this will get much worse and a lot more aspirin will be needed. 

PEACE!

Common sense is the least common of all the senses.

Jita wrote:

hell if i want to lose 100 bots in around two and a half hours all i have to do is fc an intrusion ... i'll be rich!

This...

I love all the haters/jealous posters who still dont get it.

So i'll put it in simple terms you can understand, sitting comfortably?

• We told them about this issue

• We then confirmed that it was still open to abuse and told them we were going to use it quite publicly

• When the light finally dawned and they realised *** people can make a lot of money out of this abuse they stopped it.

• The point being that they havent handled it well at all.

• It categorically wasnt illegal and wasnt an exploit and therefore open to be used as intended.

Now i'll agree that Rule 7 may have been broken and if we'd only blown up a 100 bots a week no one would have done anything about it.

However the positive out of this is that Insurance was removed briefly which is what we always wanted and hopefully the new insurance system will mean there is real loss in this game for a change, rather than easymode pvp for everyone

40 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-02-17 14:59:58)

DEV Zoom wrote:

You have to know the rules just like you have to know the law when you travel to a foreign country. Not knowing the rules is never an excuse.

It's bad game design if the rules aren't apparent and require someone doing forum research to figure out that they may be violating the rules.

Fix the system.

Publish what's changed in the mechanics, let's review as a community and figure out the best way to make insurance work if you're hard set on having it in the game.

DO NOT put it back in and say it's now an exploit as you'll have things slipping through the cracks and then we'll be back here revisiting this thread in a week.

Jelan wrote:

It categorically wasnt illegal and wasnt an exploit and therefore open to be used as intended.

lol you mean the devs intended insurance to be a money printing machine? nice troll lol

guys u're acting as if it was your only way to make NIC's

Sad Panda wrote:
Jelan wrote:

It categorically wasnt illegal and wasnt an exploit and therefore open to be used as intended.

lol you mean the devs intended insurance to be a money printing machine? nice troll lol

We told them it was a cash machine, they knew it would be used to make withdrawals, we told them we would.  That sounds to me like they didnt really understand the mechanic, every game has features in it.

Not once did they say, "please dont", "wtf?", "wait, let us look at this first" or similar.  If at anytime in one of the many opportunities had they said something like that people (i like to think the best of them) wouldnt have done it.

This one we've fixed now.  You can all thank Infestation for that, we'll keep looking for other broken mechanics and highlight them to the Dev team in the most effective way possible

viva la revolution

This had to happen. 

The sooner we all realize it, the better.

If M2S told the devs that insurance, as implemented, would cause a problem and they ignored or denied it, the next logical step is to prove it and that's exactly what happened.  It was proven.

Now it can be fixed and we can all move on, or not, as the case may be.

45 (edited by Line 2011-02-17 15:33:33)

oh now it's "bad DEVs are banbaited us" lol wtf. if you know that was unusual and maybe wrong, and even said DEVs about that, wtf did u used it and wtf r u whinning now?

Line wrote:

oh now it's "bad DEVs are banbaited us" lol wtf. if you know that was unusual and maybe wrong, and even said DEVs about that, wtf did u used it and wtf r u whinning now?

No one has any issue deep down with the money being reclaimed silly boy, its the way it was handled, keep up

47 (edited by BigCountry 2011-02-17 15:48:48)

Line wrote:

guys u're acting as if it was your only way to make NIC's

M2S generates NIC in multiple ways. It's a large organized corp residing in a large organized alliance.

Insurance was the easiest, most organized way to make NIC for a large group of players. Especially when 3/4 of our members are bored to death because there is no one ever online to PvP us anymore...

Majority of you guys playing this game park on Alpha and AFK mine all damn day. Then you sell the ore back to M2S - BTW IS THIS AN EXPLOIT???? What a joke this all is...

You guys should thank us. We were responsible for buying all of your ore and items on the market. This is a sandbox, with what 2 hundred players online? 1/2 of which are alts. WTF would of bought your stuff, if not for us.

Everyone needs to think about what happened and grow a set.

Devs, fix your damn game and give us something to PvP over. Don't punish your customers for things your responsible for. And hire someone with a college business degree please.

-Big C

i saw a big goddamn letter to DEVs from your CEO somewhere on the forum, you'll keep posting here your posts full of insulted nobless...yes, everything is OK and noone whining around.

just stfu and keep playing guys. don't think you've lost too much.

We lost very little actually, just some NIC.  I guess you just dont get it, but thats ok, anyone of differing life challanges can play games.  You keep going kiddo, dont let them tell you otherwise

I'm kinda curious what would happen to the political climate of this  game if Infestation just up and left it one day.