Re: PostPatch - an industrialist view

Arga, I think you were very clear, and I think you are right- recent changes may have been designed to get more players to move to Beta, but in the long run, it might not be the right way to do it.

I think we all understand that the goal is to have more PvP, and more competition in general. But there are a lot of ways of doing that, so I asked the dev for clarification.

If their goal is to have something better than EvE, then they should be interested in adding more depth to the game environment- namely, political and economic competition.

But that would be completely inappropriate if their vision is a fast-paced combat sim, with battles raging across the islands. Right now, this appears to be the goal.

Sometimes these goals can be met using the same mechanic- cheap T1 and T2 gear, or adding Beta-only resources, are good examples. But if they want to have more depth, and make economic and political competition viable, or make the game accessible to a lot of smaller corps or independent players, they will need to reverse some recent changes.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Mara,

I did inadvertnetly use beta corp when I meant beta alliance in a couple places. Also, I did call out the difference in corps like Ecorp and NA that were on beta and had the opportunity to gain the benefit of such before basing operations out of alpha. I'm also thinking abour your corp in general when I imagine an alliance of alpha based corps that could ally to push back and take ownership of a beta outpost, which will actually have some value when EC is put in the game.

I'm not sure that more space is going to solve the small corp issue, but I would like to see something done to promote small corps being more active in PVP, but again other than the PVP itself there doesn't seem to be any upside for them to spend the time and bots beating against the current status quo.

But, maybe with lower server pop now, there is more room for new players to get some pvp time in on beta.

What do you think about small or solo PVP on beta at this time?

Arga wrote:

Entirely possible, I do it all the time and know many others who do as well.  There's nothing stopping people who want to pvp from doing so.

Online now, Live at 8pm PST give or take.

Baphomet - 715,000 NIC
Std Sensor Amp  - 250,000 NIC
Std Laser Tuner -  30,000 NIC
5xStd sm laser -  50,000 NIC

~1,045,000 NIC to outfit for basic offense

Add std repper, LWF, and some type of armor hardener mix to suit brings it up to about 1.1M more or less.

Note the cost of the item that requires Epitron, the amp, is 1/3 the cost of the bot for just a standard item.

its 3.4M for a signal masker and 4M for a detector, so if i wanted to replace the tuner with a masker to help me get a little closer before being spotted, the cost just went up to 4.5M NIC.

For players in a large beta corporation, 4 or 5 Million NIC isn't a lot of money, and they would probably sell me the items for less or even no charge. But I'm not in one of those, and neither are the alpha players I'm talking about.

So, what can i expect to get out of my 4M NIC investement?

A couple of things could happen; first thing is I could get targeted and killed by NPC mobs that are much more aggressive than I am used to on alpha, and die without even seeing another player. Scouts see me moving toward the teleporter and a welcoming party demobs me at the 'porter and kills me in less than a minute, or various other scenrios of instant and worthless death.

The BEST I could hope for would be to find a gate with a single guard and engage in some 1-1 PVP, maybe win maybe lose, but have atleast a chance.

More liklely however, is to be outnumbered at least 2-1 against some Fast fit group, get demobbed and locked down, ECM'd, and killed without really getting any fighting, experience, or fun out of it.

This is, I think an accurate representation of a solo novice PVP'er heading to Beta.

Granted, the more I go the better my chances of having a positive encounter, but really the cost of losing 4M NIC per even for a poorly fit bot (all std T1) is alot of time farming alpha kernels. I spent 2 hours the other day, filled up a sequar with broken parts, fragments, and about 60 kernels worth about 1.3M total. Not too bad really, but that's 7 hours of farming for 1 trip to beta... i just don't have the patience for that.

So, I would disagree, and say the work to reward ratio for a solo player is stopping them from doing pvp; if they are not already proficent at it, the cost to learn is now too high.

Joining a corp and having them subsidize the learning curve is really the only effective way to learn/practice PVP.

Adjust game mechanics so the price of STD equipment drops to something a little more reasonable that a solo player can afford to lose, like 500k for an assult bot + fit, and another 1M if you want to spring for the signal masker.

I would farm 2 hours per bot and not feel to bad about getting blow'd up a dozen times while I L2P.

Maybe my perception of beta is incorrect, this is just what I saw happening while we were in HHO.  While in Infestation no one ever 'visited' us while I was on gate duty.

Arga wrote:

Ah I see what you said, yeah.

I think solo, small group pvp is doable. Just have to keep aware of the blobs like usual, and avoid them if possible etc.

I'd like to do some stalking operations using a stealth mod alt with a good damage back up, then log.

I agree Arga - the scenario you describe can be expensive. An important part in pvp is consequence - not necessarliy punishment for loss.

Now if there were consequences to dying other then the resource loss - and a political faction system that divided players by their player choices (dynamic factions resulting from target choice and fighting zone) there would be no need for expensive basic pvp equipment.

Neocron for example - a game with the most sophisticated pvp/trade char interconnection - suceeded very well on this part. pvp equipment was easy to get, easy to loose - and consequences resultet in a form of required social interaction to cure your pvp blessures by medicals and scientists - also reflecting on yourself with a faction system, giving or restricting access to certain areas, depending on your target choice.

There are probably a good number of alpha players that wouldn't mind forming up a smaller group and going to PVP, but there really isn't any Pick up group(PUG) type of activity or system in place. Its all corp or nothing.

In game voice would be needed though for PUG to be useful, or a way for a squad leader to designate targets and tactics even for small 5 bot groups. Loot .... well, another issue, but if you get to the point where things are dying that's an OK problem to have.

Redline --- yeah, I don't see anything that ties player corporations to the world, they can basically do anything without any penalty. As Alex mentioned, if a corp owns an outpost it would seem that they should have neg standings with the other two factions.

hey arga - it sounds like theres one thing missing on whole alpha island, that would change the loss penalty a good bit: some npc spawns that drop standard sensor amps on regular basis.

everything else you mentioned, except the bot itself, is standard loot from DPS-fitted assault bots. (2nd star Cremator, Warrior Ram, Patrician Executioner)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

hey arga - it sounds like theres one thing missing on whole alpha island, that would change the loss penalty a good bit: some npc spawns that drop standard sensor amps on regular basis.

everything else you mentioned, except the bot itself, is standard loot from DPS-fitted assault bots. (2nd star Cremator, Warrior Ram, Patrician Executioner)

So far I've only found amps on green NPC's but I didn't look very hard. If they started to drop on alpha island or at least more beta NPC's the prices would drop hugely.

The Game

Ann/Alex

Yes, I'm able to fit out my asault box from most drops quite easily, if the sensor amps dropped it would help alot with fitting.

Medium items still don't drop on alpha, because of the lack of mechs to shoot.

Lack of mech gear isn't really a hindernce to pvp, but it does make it difficult for alpha corps to build up any kind of 'army' to make a real attempt at any beta target.

If we look at taking a Beta Island like a 'King of the Hill' type scenerio, there is typically some negative associated with holding it while the aggressors have some bonus, so eventually the king will fall. As it is now, once you have the 'hill', you get stronger while your non-hill owning oppenents get weaker; basically there is no chance once you established on the hill that you can get overthrown.

Not that the game itself is out of balance, because the other beta island alliances can still unseat the hills, there just isn't much opportunity for corps or alliances that are not already on beta to break in.

Again, that will change when more land appears, so its more observational then a call for any change.

Back to the modules, it would go a long way to make PVP more affordable if it was possible to farm all the standard modules on alpha; with some review and rarity checks for electronics based modules also for EW fits, even if it was just standard items.