Topic: Mines

This has probably been mentioned before here or in other threads but im all for churn so here goes.

Mines - various types e.g. Drains Acc, gives damage etc
Minelayer bot/module
Mine detector bot/module

Give please.

Re: Mines

was stated in the previous blog about AOE weapons but no more sign of it in the recent blog about the future of perpetuum sad

i stated already in my EWAR topic - that interference module is a type of mine-layer. And i know at least one of the DEVs agree's with me on that.

which means - the interference patch introduced the game mechanic for mine-laying
the sensoring patch enabled to have mines that are not visible from 1km
the AoE Patch will be necessary to have mines with AoE effects.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Ranged or static "step on this and die" weapons are a very bad idea in this kind of environment.  As soon as something like this comes out, then the lead alliance on a beta island will heavily mine every single chokepoint so that going there without an alliance ticker will be pointless.

Now if mines end up being introduced as something that can be deployed in a radius around a POS, then I'm all for it, but just being able to litter the landscape with mines will be very game breaking.

Also, AoE ranged weapons are a terrible idea too.  As soon as the first one is introduced, then all other weapons system for PVP become obsolete since you can now hit multiple targets with one shot instead of just one.

On the other hand PBAoE (Point Blank AoE) weapons are perfectly balanced.  Turn it on and it pulses energy out from your bot/mech and damages anyone too close... could be used as a suicide bomber or what not.  Now that's fun and not too game breaking.

If they are able to introduce AoE ranged weapons, they can also introduce the Bomb-Bouncer shield from SupCom2, or similar anti-artillery game mechanics.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

6 (edited by Kalsius Dakalsai 2011-02-16 18:36:37)

Whilst I like the idea of mines, they have to be balanced against being technically implementable. This was a hot topic back in the stEVE beta and into live. The main issue is that if you put something in game which is easily accessible and deployable, you can end up with an overload of resources on the servers.

Now I am not professing to know exactly how such features would impact performance, but as the poster above states, if each alliance can deploys thousands of these things, the server suddenly has a lot more stuff to constantly track and update. Now if there were mines which cost a lot more, but had the AoE effects etc, then this could be much more implementable and definitely require a more tactical approach than just spamming thousands of mines everywhere.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

the existing mines - the interference probes have high costs, low hitpoints, short lifetime and you can't place them within x meter of each other.

the system can handle them imho pretty well - look at a farming spot with 100s of container laying around.

This would be a good place for Dev input, as Annihilator has said, the devs are working on this. If they give us some specs before implementing, the community may come up with something they didn't think of. We can certainly give more focused feedback other then speculation; on a feature that is known to be coming.

Arga wrote:

This would be a good place for Dev input, as Annihilator has said, the devs are working on this. If they give us some specs before implementing, the community may come up with something they didn't think of. We can certainly give more focused feedback other then speculation; on a feature that is known to be coming.

Just like they did with Insurance. big_smile

The Game

I see what you did there... big_smile

Yes, like that, but the new and improved feedback/input.

I'm certainly not asking Dev input on all threads, because nothing derails a good thread faster than a dev post, but if we are just flundering around, some directed input can also rerail a thread just as quickly.