Topic: I have bad feeling about future success of this game... :-(

At the begginnig everything looks wonderful, with lots of potential.

Perpetuum was looking like semi-close copy of EVE game technology in a new setting.
And we expected that it will move in same direction like EVE was evolving:
- adding more land mass;
- adding bigger robots;
- adding better missions with instances, like "caves", maybe scannable;
- adding player build structures for mining and land protection.
- More interesting PvE encounters were expected also, and that part to our suprise is somewhat implemented (roaming mechs, Observers and etc).

But instead, developers starts to modify economic part of the game in wrong direction. They made all T4 stuff near impossible to make... They introduced more resource troubles (like solid epriton, and 12 units plants on alpha). They cut Kernel buy orders from NPC to 1/2 and so on. All those actions were taken, while game population was not healthy growing but, decreasing.

Modifying existing stuff in a game, making it worser, or much harder to make is always a bad thing to do. Sometimes it's really needed, like in case of Light EW bots, or insurance fraud. But making whole tier 4 of technology much harder to create was really bad idea. Creating T5, witch require what-ever-you-like could be a good step. Since it's a new thing, you can easily fit in any crasy materials.

T5 also fits logically in T* line. T1 - standard. T2 - easy fit, same stats. T3 - better, but harder to fit. T4 also better then T3 but also harder to fit. T5 about same good as T4 and easy to fit as T2 looks logical.

There are already too few pleople playing. Several months since start passes and market does not looks filled with goods. There are a lot of useful equipment positions, no one is crafting. Almost no competition in many equipment branches and so on.

I'm still playing, but if developers will continue to change the game, like they do it now... I afraid population will drop more, and it will become so few populated MMORPG, that won't worth a monthly fee.

Re: I have bad feeling about future success of this game... :-(

I prefer chicken tbh hmm

3 (edited by Ember 2011-02-14 22:07:01)

bah, they moved from a seed economy to a sustainable one... and I feel the pain too the same as everyone, but making enough nic every week to pay for an endless supply of the best gear the game had to offer was ultimately moving towards a dead end.

Do you really want to play a game where people drop mechs like holloween candy, assaults are very capable and T3 gear is very effective, stepping up to the mech/heavy and putting on top tier gear for the first time should feel like a real accomplishment and a REAL loss when it goes poof in combat.

The game is changing, and despite a few rage quits and resentment over things suddenly getting harder, I don't think it's dieing. Under the old model the devs would never had been able to add new content fast enough and everyone would be running around maxed out after a couple months of play, how boring is that.

I think those that stay, can adapt and evolve and still have a great experience, for the new ones coming in... well they've never known anything else, I spread around the wealth I have and when it's gone I'll find a new way to squeeze the markets for nic.

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

Ember wrote:

bah, they moved from a seed economy to a sustainable one... and I feel the pain too the same as everyone, but making enough nic every week to pay for an endless supply of the best gear the game had to offer was ultimately moving towards a dead end.

Do you really want to play a game where people drop mechs like holloween candy, assaults are very capable and T3 gear is very effective, stepping up to the mech/heavy and putting on top tier gear for the first time should feel like a real accomplishment and a REAL loss when it goes poof in combat.

The game is changing, and despite a few rage quits and resentment over things suddenly getting harder, I don't think it's dieing. Under the old model the devs would never had been able to add new content fast enough and everyone would be running around maxed out after a couple months of play, how boring is that.

I think those that stay, can adapt and evolve and still have a great experience, for the new ones coming in... well they've never known anything else, I spread around the wealth I have and when it's gone I'll find a new way to squeeze the markets for nic.

Well said.

Yes, good post Ember.

It's a mistake to think of Perpetuum as a copy of EVE. Yes, they are the same genre of game, they are not the same game with a different skin. The devs have some interesting ideas for the direction they want to take it in.

The game population has certainly decreased. I had about a week of inactivity when I didn't feel like logging in, because nothing interesting was happening. But then more pvp started up...and right now there are some really good fights going on. The people who stuck around are the ones who are in it for the long haul. MMOs have a 25% retention rate, and so the current population is about what you'd expect compared to release.

The devs are working on more pve content, which I think will help bring people back, or encourage new people to try it out. Right now the population is mainly made up of pvpers or industrials supporting pvp, and beta islands are as busy as alpha ones.

Providing they do keep introducing a little bit more content with each patch, the population will start to build up again.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

with Games like RIFT around the corner? Dream on lol

7 (edited by DTC 2011-02-15 09:43:09)

RIFT is not the same game genre at all. A lot of people don't like it and it doesn't take players away from Perpetuum.
I don't worry as well, I remember in EVE when 1000 simultaneous players was like a new record...

All will be fine, if core players will continue to play. DEVs are awesome guys. Im sure that in next year they will create awesome cookies: player created structures, new types of bots, destructible modules and so on.
For steve-side holy-warriors: go play your space) we have nice game here.

To be honest if any thing the DEV's have picked up the pace of updates since release compared to Beta.  The T4 material changes are great, I always disliked the range of materials and having 90% of them available every where.

With the hints that we are going to see more pve changes and the dynamic roaming spawns the game is certainly improving very quickly.

While people may look at perp and think eve inspired, some of the decsions are blatently not interferance for example how long have CCP been ignoring blobing? because i beleive that they have been unable to come up with a solution AV came up with a great start allmost over night.

Lheomuh wrote:

with Games like RIFT around the corner? Dream on lol

Rift is already doomed - its just a clone, there are enough of them out there - they have no unique market.

wait a CLONE where you kill npc and fight other people? You can built up your char and collect Loot from npc?  lol
(and what can you do in perptuum? tongue)

Rift is great, and will suck up many many online rpg fans...sure the sword and magic hater will not play..(all 1000 yarr)

Hm you can do lots more in PO already now - playing alone of course can be a very limiting factor in mmos.

those who play perpetuum for it beeing not an elf vs. orks game, wont leave for something like RIFT at all...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

those who play perpetuum because it was  a new game some months ago will...

those already left tongue thats the 25% - standard playerbase offset

Dromsex wrote:

those already left tongue thats the 25% - standard playerbase offset

This is natural selection)

This game is without a doubt an EVE copy.  A single persistent server, no instances, skill based, the vast majority of skills have an exact EVE equivalent, economy is player driven, mechs are fitted with modules, accumulator = capacitor, CPU, Powergrid, Armor shields, mechs have weapon and other bonus's, weapon systems are lifted completely from EVE.... the comparisons are nearly endless.  Anyone who says this isn't a copy of EVE either hasn't played EVE or is a slobbering fanboi trying to distance this game from one they don't care for.

That being said, this game also has enough different to make it a new and exciting game that will be very successful in my opinion.  The game mechanics are just different enough to make it feel like you are more in control of your own fate in combat rather than simply clicking orbit and waiting for your damage to calculate.

If a niche game like EVE can not only survive but continue to grow steadily year after year, then, then taking EVE and modifying it for the better can only mean good things for this game as well.

I'm so confident that this game will survive and work through it's current issues that I'm paid up several months in advance on two different accounts. wink

Great work devs!

Dizi wrote:

T5 also fits logically in T* line. T1 - standard. T2 - easy fit, same stats. T3 - better, but harder to fit. T4 also better then T3 but also harder to fit. T5 about same good as T4 and easy to fit as T2 looks logical.

That which you name are T4 prototypes.

I think its more appropriate to say Eve and Perpetuum are in the same MMO genre.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/World- … 12174.html

While talking about Wow, he says ""It is a touchstone," Zeschuk told the audience. "It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO."

I would ammend that and say they set it for the fantasy based MMO. And respectively Eve has set some standards that Perpetuum is adhering to. This makes the transition between games smoother and more natural, such as retaining a lot of the look and feel of the UI.

There are enough differences however to make the game play unique, it doesn't feel like you're playing Eve on the ground.

I think Perptuum would have been better served to wait a little longer for release, which would have given them time to add more content and retain a larger % of the initial subscribers and launch momentum; although I'm sure there were finanical and logistical reasons for launching when they did.

The game APB was the biggest budget MMO to fail, in just 72 days operation. Perpetuum could probably run for a year on the rounding error of APB's budget. Low operating costs means this game has plenty of time to build back a player base and reach sustainable levels.

As long as AC continues to support and develop, the game isn't going anywhere.

Why are people talking about RIFT? It's not even on the radar.

Perpetuum's biggest competitor is EVE, followed by games like Xsyon and Earthrise, or even Minecraft.

Bernard Suits, 1978

Hourglass wrote:

This game is without a doubt an EVE copy.

That's like saying WoW is a copy of EQ.

People do say that, but all they mean by it is that WoW is the same genre of game. We throw the word "clone" around a bit carelessly.

Having more games of EVE's genre is a good thing.

Bernard Suits, 1978

The reason its relevant here is that a fairly large group of Perp players are part of gaming guilds, which are always looking at new games to play.

Rift is going to be very attractive to a larger audience than just wow and ex-wow players because its not just a Wow clone ( I'm in the Rift Alpha and have many many hours of game play to substantaite). Its the 'friends' of current players that go to something like Rift, and 'pull' other guild and RL friends over from whatever else they are playing.

It was the same when Perp released, Eve players came over then convinced their friends to 'Come Check it out'.

In the long term however, Perp will develop its own player base, its just going to be very quiet around March 1 when Rift goes live.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the game, ya there will be bumps but it happens in every game.  At least we have a responsive DEV team that want to do the right thing and are working their *** off to make PERP happen.  I'm staying subbed.

Libby

Arga wrote:

In the long term however, Perp will develop its own player base, its just going to be very quiet around March 1 when Rift goes live.

I think you're right, but maybe we differ in our reasons. I'm not sure that Rift will pull many players away from Perp- they seem to be two different types of player, although with some overlap.

My point is that the game is already very quiet- a lot of people stopped logging in after the last patch, and despite the interesting additions promised in the latest dev blog, I don't think the next patch will be enough.

In other words, when Rift goes live, it's going to be very quiet, but just a little more quiet than it already is.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

a few days later it will be even less for playing Duke Nukem Forever.

its just a pitty that certain individuals will stay here to the end, or until the first raid-instance is opened.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear