Topic: Bounty Hunting assignments and "kill hijacking"

In the typical bounty hunting assignment, you have to destroy X amount of type Y NPC. Contrary to tagging a kill (to get loot rights), you need to have the final blow on an NPC, or otherwise it won't count for your assignment. So you don't have to be the one who tagged the NPC.

This leads to a rather annoying problem. People running around, trying to get final blows on NPC's who were tagged and shot to low HP by other players. The person who tagged them does get the loot ofcourse, but it can be an extreme pain to complete an assignment this way.

It's slightly annoying in the really crowded areas (a problem which happened mainly because a lot of people started at the same time with the tutorial missions today), but it gets worse when there's fewer players involved, especially if most of those only shoot the NPC's they tagged, and one or more people walk around trying to get those final blows.

People end up killing up to twice the amount of NPC's they have to kill for the mission, and effectively do the mission for the other guy who only fires a single volley at each NPC.

In my opinion it would be more logical that once you tagged an NPC, that kill counts for your assignment as well, regardless of who gets the final blow. That way you don't have to worry about the kill ninja's walking around.

Re: Bounty Hunting assignments and "kill hijacking"

+1

ninja kills is bad thing and need to be fixed

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

+1

Yep, this problem needs to be fixed imo.

4 (edited by Ulviirala 2010-11-19 00:37:49)

I, too, was wondering about wether this was really intended to be this way or not.

Until I noticed this, I was eager to tap the NPC (and of course, continue shooting it), but then I couldn't be bothered anymore and explicitly used this game mechanic in my favour to get the assignment done already. When I was done with the tutorial assignments, I went mining instead ;)

Bakers trade recipes on a knead to know basis.

noted

The issue being if this is changed then assignment can be almost instantly completed in a squad and an assignment exploit would be created.

The only change that wouldn't create this exploit is if you, not your squad, tag the target first. Then you're back to being griefed by taggers. If someone has a smaller lock time than you you'll get a kill. Swings and roundabouts.

The Game

I agree that this is annoying, but the issue right now is everyone is doing the same missions. Once the population starts to spread out I think the problem will be less severe. Once people are in the pvp zone you can just blow that ks *** up.

I think an eaiser short term fix maybe increasing the amount of mechs spawned for the missions so people will spread out more because the most people I've seen camping the same spawn is 5. If there was one or two additional spawn spots the 5 people will be split up and the percived need to ks will be lessened.

Alexander wrote:

The issue being if this is changed then assignment can be almost instantly completed in a squad and an assignment exploit would be created.

Not sure if I follow. Currently the player who accepted the squad must get final blow and the mission reward is split right? How would a new exploit be created?

Embolism wrote:

I agree that this is annoying, but the issue right now is everyone is doing the same missions. Once the population starts to spread out I think the problem will be less severe. Once people are in the pvp zone you can just blow that ks *** up.

As pointed out in the OP, the problem actually gets more annoying if the assignment area is not very crowded.

In the very base case, you are shooting an NPC, and a ninja is waiting right next to you, until the NPC's HP is so low he can single volley it. If you don't fire it, the ninja also won't, but if you do, odds are high your kill gets stolen.

My idea is not the end all solution, just a short term solution to a supply problem. If the person was hijacking kills he was probably bored and locking whatever spawned no matter who is or is not shooting it. If there was more supply of robots, the hijackers will be able to find things to shoot and kill and they do not have to resort to DB stealing.

Granted there are some duchebags out there that would do this just to grief you. I don't believe that one persons experience can sum up what every hijackers motives are. I think the issue is coming up because there are so many people trying to finish missions with a very low supply of killable bots. Again, this is a short term solution that (I imagine) could be easily implemented.

I agree that the current tap system for loot should be applied to DBs but that may or may not involve signifigent development time. I am also confused how squads can exploit this can you please elaborate on why you believe there is a potential exploit?

this thread should be closed because this is fixed

'''Change:''' Assignment objective kills will now count for the player who tagged the NPC, not for the player with the killing shot.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard