1 (edited by Deadmeet 2011-02-08 22:45:39)

Topic: Feedback to DEVs after some times playing

After some times playing, I decided to make a post about my and my corp feedback about the game.

First, I want to say that I'm an old EvE player and all my corp too. So I will probably make some comparaisons with that game, but we can say that this game is a EvE-like. It's not a bad thing, there are quake-like, wow-like and now, EvE-like.

So, after some times playing, I will continue that game, some of my friends too, but some of my friends no. I can understand why they stop and I'm quite agree with their argument. It's not enought for me to stop because I hope to see a lot of improvements in the future, but I understand them and that's why I decided to create that post.

On the first connection, the game seems wonderful, you like or not, but when you like, you love. This is acquired that all eve players are naturally attracted by the game. Complex and interesting production system, player driven market, complex eve fitting system... All the good things of eve with a more dynamic mouse-keyboard combat system. You made a lot of dreams true with that concept.

BUT there are some critical missing points to make that game fun in the long time.

First, we need more island, far more island (especially for beta). Actually, the game is made to be dominated by few powerfull corporations. A lot of players are micro corporation of friends that wants to play together. But there are no places in beta island for this kind of players (don't know if you have some stats, but it's probably the majority of your players).

So, either you stay in alpha by farming the same boring mission, either you mine (but will never be able to produce something interesting because some of things can only be mined on beta island), either you wait some improvements (what I do), either you stop (what some friends did).

One solution to that problem is to create more  more more island (especially beta). The game have to be so big that even small corporation, with small scouting could find their little eldorado on beta. We need this feeling to discover an huge world and to conquest it. It must have a place for all players gamestyle and not only for big military corporations.

On the other hand, travel in one island is so boring, we are so slow (or, to be precise, we have a so slow feeling!) we need to be able to go between 2 points faster with modules, with jetpack, with whatever, but faster.

Another big problem is related to PvE. A lot of players are not ready for PvP in arkhe with syn-tech turret. Some players prefers to discover the game with a long PvE time, the time to have enought skills to have the ship they want for PvP. And the PvE content is way too repetitive to keep that kind of players.

First, PvE mission are not balanced. In 3 hours of game I found a technic to make money easily. Go Asyntech take Luna#1 and Cyrus#1 (Geology) and farm them with you arkhe and some geoscanner charges. Each travel = 40k NIC for about 3 min.

And, just beside that, you have some fight missions that will take you 30 min to complete, that will give you 12k NIC, that will cost a lot of ammos... Ok you will have kernels, but believe me, the travel missions are more profitable (and if you have alts, it's jackpot). And what about lvl 2, lvl 3, lvl4 missions that requite to travel a full PVP island for a little more than 200k. (I do 10 time the geology mission with my arkhe to do the same)... So, after discovered that trick, all the corp mates began to farm it. Really boring, but it was the best way to make money, so you continue and you become crazy... big_smile

I have a lot of hope in this game but there are a really lack of content to make it works in the long time. I hope, DEVs, that you are aware about that because, without that, I don't think you will have the same success story than CCP whereas you could because the game base is really great (but it's just a base).

Thank you for reading.

Re: Feedback to DEVs after some times playing

/Signed

TBH: Last month i'm feeling playing OBT,....but with payment.

Thanks, you pretty much summed up the most important parts that we're aware they're lacking and intend to improve on: more islands (both PvE and PvP oriented), incentives for PvP, more interesting mission system and additional PvE mechanisms.
Planning and development is continuously going on for all of these and if it's possible we roll out the smaller improvements as soon as they are ready. The bigger expansions (like additional islands) of course need more time, but they'll come smile

Auto generate some terrain, place some spawns and later make them so you can build on them. No buildings, no structure. Just landmass and plants. A few mineral locations placed around as well for good measure and have them move slowly or grow.

Let us terraform them later when the mechanic is done and change the mineral locations during their revamps. When structure building comes in they can change a little again. Saves doing it all at once.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Auto generate some terrain, place some spawns and later make them so you can build on them. No buildings, no structure. Just landmass and plants. A few mineral locations placed around as well for good measure and have them move slowly or grow.

Let us terraform them later when the mechanic is done and change the mineral locations during their revamps. When structure building comes in they can change a little again. Saves doing it all at once.

Also, put them between the beta and alpha islands and interconnect them with double or triple the amount of current teleports allowing for multiple routes between each and from them multiple routes to each beta island/alpha island.

7 (edited by Alexander 2011-02-08 23:49:20)

GLiMPSE wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Also, put them between the beta and alpha islands and interconnect them with double or triple the amount of current teleports allowing for multiple routes between each and from them multiple routes to each beta island/alpha island.

The island connection point doesn't really matter too much. They should connect between two beta island and one alpha island.  5 teleports in total. One from alpha, two from each beta.

Expand the map and move things as required as the islands are at those exact locations (as we know because we can't see one island from another).

The Game

I think a lot of people are just upset because this patch brought so many changes its difficult to know what to do, especially if you do production or mine.

smaller changes more often are best imo.  If eve released a patch that made this many major changes I think the whole server would *** a brick.

LethalRose wrote:

I think a lot of people are just upset because this patch brought so many changes its difficult to know what to do, especially if you do production or mine.

smaller changes more often are best imo.  If eve released a patch that made this many major changes I think the whole server would *** a brick.

The patch that caused strife and discord amongst the Napfest of Norhoop.

I could write a novel on this very premise.

I believe that the idea of waiting to add more land when you have more subscribers is inherently flawed.

I think the size of the game has determined the size of the population, not vice-versa.

Slap down some raw land with resources, add stuff later :-x.

Euphoric wrote:

I believe that the idea of waiting to add more land when you have more subscribers is inherently flawed.

I think the size of the game has determined the size of the population, not vice-versa.

Slap down some raw land with resources, add stuff later :-x.

I agree, we need to do this before no hope splits up because of lack of resources on norhoop with all those nap corps chewing up all their epitron!

12 (edited by Deadmeet 2011-02-09 09:11:37)

I'm quite agree with Euphoric. It would be better for the game to quickly release lot of new deserts island that release one by one beautiful and detailled islands.

The problem by releasing few island each time is that you let big corporations prepare themself to take control of the new islands as soon as they are released. We need, don't know, maybe 20 or more island soon, in one patch to make it impossible, even for biggest corporation, to be prepared to control them all and lets some smaller corps take a part of the cake.

I would prefer 20 more deserts by month, than 2 high-detailled island. In addition, with player vegetation, terraforming, players building... maybe most details would be added by players themself. So you could concentrate your efforts by creating a good terrain generator and be able to release new island really often. To give the feeling to players that we are dominating a new earth, not a new resort islands.

or one (or more) beta island bigger than the actual we have if possible, without oupost to make them more "open" to small entities
a maze more or like island to make it very strategical pacman style gameplay could be interesting

Seems most of us agrees, we need more islands even if they are just barren worlds with a few points of interest.
Not having outposts is a good idea too, just make many entry points to the new islands, both from beta and alpha islands so they are more accesable. I think it's a good thing that resources are not equally distributed and the new lands could have more and less valuable regions: the more valuabled will be crowded and dominated by the large corps anyway, but smaller corps/solo players could find relatively safe spots even in pvp enabled area.

I think the latest patch has destoyed this game.

I know many people have left the game for now until something major changes.

The devs need to sort out new land and islands immediately not months from now - the longer they wait the more players they lose - the clocks ticking on perpetuum...

16 (edited by BigCountry 2011-02-09 15:05:01)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Thanks, you pretty much summed up the most important parts that we're aware they're lacking and intend to improve on: more islands (both PvE and PvP oriented), incentives for PvP, more interesting mission system and additional PvE mechanisms.
Planning and development is continuously going on for all of these and if it's possible we roll out the smaller improvements as soon as they are ready. The bigger expansions (like additional islands) of course need more time, but they'll come smile

Convert 2 of the 3 Alpha islands into "neutral" PvP islands. At the moment, you have 100 people playing your game for crying out loud, we don't need 3 dedicated PvE islands for new players to "learn the game"...

On the converted 2, leave the hubs there for trading purposes. Maybe less tax for incentive for the brave to haul goods out there. Leave the outposts NPC controlled (that way no one "controls" the islands - everything stays neutral). Upgrade the spawns just a tad here, more spawns with only 2-3 bots per spawn, not 298492874 - that way players can solo if wanting. Level 3+ missions from Alpha should take people to these converted 2 neutral islands, NOT Beta islands.

On the converted 2, add something to fight over or something. See Shadowbane/Darkfall (mines, money etc) for some ideas.
big_smile

17 (edited by BigCountry 2011-02-09 14:47:30)

Vortigon wrote:

The devs need to sort out new land and islands immediately not months from now - the longer they wait the more players they lose - the clocks ticking on perpetuum...

It did not destroy the game? wtf? It just did not do much to keep people playing who were thinking about leaving.
sad

BigCountry wrote:
Vortigon wrote:

It did not destroy the game? wtf? It just did not do much to keep people playing who were thinking about leaving.
sad

Big, they lost their outpost. The guys that left used the patch as a scapegoat to jump off of a sinking ship.

That is all.

Canadians....

"Control" of an outpost is not based on possession its based on if you can defend it. If you can live out of it.

Additional feedback:

I logged in last night and the world felt empty and deserted.

It was really great seeing trains of sequars and bots going about their business at launch. Some of my impression from last night could be the reduced visual/radar ranges from the last patch but I think it was just because there was just very few people online, spread out over 6 Islands.

More space is not the answer. I think the steps that were taken to force people to the PVP islands were attempting to increase player density, which is good and neccesary to make the game more exciting. The problem is PVP changes only move PVP players around; and starts the call on the forums for more space so non-pvpers don't have to run into the pvp players.

More players is the answer.

Maybe additional PVP mechanic changes like artilllary and tanks will retain the current player base, but it won't be enough to entice new players to stay or bring back those that left. Changes in the motivation for PVP will be needed for that, things like Player owned structures and more content.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the first real content update patch can revitalize the game.

more space is the answer to the population problem.

right now you have black and white - protected and unprotected zones. second last patch removed the last small transition on beta island.

if they are bringing back the police tower system on alpha island, with gray zones around the coast, and no political system, they will piss of the last few PvE based players and the population will get back to closed beta level (~100-200 active player) with the all the implications.

They must expand the game with more islands, with the current beta islands beeing the transition between open PvP and no-PvP.

where do you want to place those "player owned structures" ? one by one, in radar range of the the others? right now, you can make hevy mechs and any industrial bot visible at more then 15km range (note: the maps are 20x20 km). Add an artillery there and you can control any island with three scouts and an artillery emplacement in the middle.

the landmass is to small for the recent changes.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

if they are bringing back the police tower system on alpha island, with gray zones around the coast, and no political system, they will piss of the last few PvE based players and the population will get back to closed beta level (~100-200 active player) with the all the implications.

I think it's headed there already. Lately, every time I log in, some industry guy is leaving, and plenty of the players I know have told me that they'll let their subscription run out.

I can't say I blame them- there's nothing wrong with the last patch, it just makes the direction of the game a lot clearer. Just as Annihilator mentions, there's no political system, no changes to the market, nothing at all that would have held an industrialist's interest or balanced the recent changes. What's happening now is the realization that a lot of us had ideas about the game that the devs have no intention of pursuing.

On the plus side, the PvPers get more action, so they'll stick around, right? The game won't die, it will just solidify around a small group of like-minded people.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

GLiMPSE wrote:
BigCountry wrote:
Vortigon wrote:

sad

Big, they lost their outpost. The guys that left used the patch as a scapegoat to jump off of a sinking ship.

That is all.

Whats an outpost got to do with the incessant grind the game has or the complete lack of freedom and space?
When half the server is on your back trying to do everything they can to ruin your fun you wonder why ppl are fed up and leave.

If the 3 beta alliances stay as they are this game will lose 80-90% of its player base as no one else will have access to beta.

If you want the game to fail keep on blobbing up and destroying any1 that comes onto beta.

The setup now is not just the devs fault but the beta alliances as well.
It wont be much fun when most of the pvers leave the game out of sheer boredom and all you have left is a napped alliance covering the 3 pvp islands.

Makes no difference to me I shall be leaving the game shortly anyway.
I play games for fun and with 50% of the content inaccessible cos of shoddy game mechanics on beta islands its just not worth my time anymore.

Savin wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

I think it's headed there already. Lately, every time I log in, some industry guy is leaving, and plenty of the players I know have told me that they'll let their subscription run out.

I can't say I blame them- there's nothing wrong with the last patch, it just makes the direction of the game a lot clearer. Just as Annihilator mentions, there's no political system, no changes to the market, nothing at all that would have held an industrialist's interest or balanced the recent changes. What's happening now is the realization that a lot of us had ideas about the game that the devs have no intention of pursuing.

On the plus side, the PvPers get more action, so they'll stick around, right? The game won't die, it will just solidify around a small group of like-minded people.

Thats my take on it as well, Savin.  Many of us have been guilty of projecting our own hopes on to the games future. I know I am. This last patch made the Dev's objectives much clearer. As I mentioned, PvP is a lot easier to code and design for.  Unfortunately, that also limits the potential profits to be made, but understanding the reality of that is usually beyond indy companies on their first game.

As I stated, this game needs either a Dev, or an experienced, well connected CM to handle dealing with the player base, and providing information and insight into the Dev's vision for the game. Absent that, most people will assume the worst, and thats not good for the games business model.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.