Re: PvE vs. PvP - the endless discussion

BigCountry wrote:

This game is suppose to be a crush all command and conquer mmorpg.

Says who? i think the pve islands are fine as they are, we need safe zones for new players BUT we need to give them opportunity to leave these islands. Now there is only one way: to join an existing alliance, what they either can't or don't want to.
The solution is what me and others keep saying: we need much more land. places to explore to look for new resources, places to own, places to hide. Even if you would just copy the beta islands-two copy of each and put them into the game-> 3 times more land to play on. (Ok, I actually hope we can get better than copies smile ).
Ideally we need much bigger land, I say with much sparse resources which are not equally distributed (last patch is a good move in the right direction)

227 (edited by BigCountry 2011-02-07 18:59:42)

Seridur wrote:
BigCountry wrote:

This game is suppose to be a crush all command and conquer mmorpg.

Says who? i think the pve islands are fine as they are, we need safe zones for new players BUT we need to give them opportunity to leave these islands. Now there is only one way: to join an existing alliance, what they either can't or don't want to.
The solution is what me and others keep saying: we need much more land. places to explore to look for new resources, places to own, places to hide. Even if you would just copy the beta islands-two copy of each and put them into the game-> 3 times more land to play on. (Ok, I actually hope we can get better than copies smile ).
Ideally we need much bigger land, I say with much sparse resources which are not equally distributed (last patch is a good move in the right direction)

More land is not the solution if you leave the existing mechanics in place (nothing to fight over). That just makes the game even more boring and less desirable to play (wtf wants to drive a seq back and forth 20 hours a week). This is not a PvE game. Games like WoW are PvE games. We have 1/2 the map dedicated to PvE, where it just needs to be one island. 3 islands are way too much. 1 island is PLENTY of space/content for a new person to learn the game. With 3 you trick them into thinking this game is something that it is not.

We are talking about different things now:
1, I think safe islands should remain in the game because new players need a place to establish themself, their corp. Especially later in the game  a new corp wouldnt have any chance to take a hold in pvp area untill weeks or months and then they couldnt grow in an overcrowded small island.

2, I think adding more land may not be enough, but it is absolutely necessary for this game to grow. why would anyone want to go back and forth on the whole map? logical comparsion is eve, players don't fly through he whole map too often.
If we want the players to leave the alpha islands we have to give them at least some chance to survive outside-and on the other hand these players would give more to the pvp -ing pool, so those on beta islands wouldnt be as bored as they are now.

229 (edited by BigCountry 2011-02-07 21:24:05)

Seridur wrote:

We are talking about different things now:
1, I think safe islands should remain in the game because new players need a place to establish themself, their corp. Especially later in the game  a new corp wouldnt have any chance to take a hold in pvp area untill weeks or months and then they couldnt grow in an overcrowded small island.

2, I think adding more land may not be enough, but it is absolutely necessary for this game to grow. why would anyone want to go back and forth on the whole map? logical comparsion is eve, players don't fly through he whole map too often.
If we want the players to leave the alpha islands we have to give them at least some chance to survive outside-and on the other hand these players would give more to the pvp -ing pool, so those on beta islands wouldnt be as bored as they are now.

Far as a new corp taking control of a beta area, small or large maps, I am not sure that matters - it aint gonna happen.  Everything implemented at the moment is "Alliance" controlled, as it naturally should be due to the game mechanics. If the devs wanna give us some "resource mines" or other forms of player owned non-dockable structures where small corps could obtain via skill alone, then yeah I would agree. But we do not have that yet. And if they add those PUT THEM ON THE converted 2 "alpha to pvp" territories....dont drop them on beta or else Alliances will naturally control those as well and it would be a useless patch...we would be right back where we are at now lol

Like you said, in EvE, players warp, they do not manually drive the ships. You can afk auto pilot that mechanism as well if you have safe passage. So you have to be careful adding more land to this game...it could back fire and you could run off even more people if you do it wrong, or do it now without adding anything else to support it.

I think if the devs would convert 2 of the 3 alpha islands to pvp islands, with no player controlled outposts, and then add some sort of "resource mine" mechanism similar to Shadowbane/Darkfall to these areas, that would provide plenty of opportunity for small corps to leave the 1 alpha island and experience pvp. On the flip side it would provide large alliances motivation to take small groups out and pvp with purpose.

In other words we need a middle tiered purposely driven form of PvP for small groups. Right now it's Alliance versus Alliance, and that's our only option. And it's driving players away because that is boring if you play the game on a daily basis.

I think the devs really need to think this through regardless of what happens. Need to patch in something that says "AWESOME I WANT TO RESUB"....not "hmmmmm let me think about resubbing"....hehe

You can easilly lure players in Beta if rewards there are valuable enough to outweight the risk of open PvP. Right now you make more profit by staying in Alpha, why would you go to beta if you're not a PvP fan ? 

The mining outposts are an interesting idea. One may also take example of DAOC, where PvP was the high-end of the game with ranking and special bonuses and abilities. The keeps were really fun to attack/defend with their guards and siege warfare. And don't forget the relics which allied people and influenced the whole world through bonuses and relic-related areas.