Topic: A word on the launch-day rollback

We felt it necessary to sum up the events of the launch yesterday, including the very first rollback in the history of the development of Perpetuum.

Going live and enabling everyone to play the game is a very unique set of challenges for any game, that can't really be tested ahead of time - and so glitches happen. The glitch we encountered happened in the Extension Point calculation system, resulting in unfair advantage for some and unfair disadvantage for others. The server team jumped on the problem instantly to keep our strict level playing-field policy - however some players have already taken advantage of the excess EP resulting from the glitch, which also had to be addressed. We looked at our options and after careful consideration came to the conclusion that to keep the system clean and free of any repercussions from these glitches and to preserve the level playing-field we had no other option than to roll back the server to the point where the glitch started.

To avoid tainting the player progress we're not reimbursing anything lost due to the rollback, instead we have extended the validity of each account in the game at the time of the rollback by two days. We hope this makes up for the time you lost.
The basic thing we took away from this experience was to be even more cautious when it comes to such changes and not to try and fix these sort of issues on the fly. We hope that the speed of our response to this critical problem and the way we handled it further demonstrates our commitment to Perpetuum.

Re: A word on the launch-day rollback

I love you guys.

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

"and not to try and fix these sort of issues on the fly"

I don't know nothing about computer programming but that's where you screwed up

thx for the update:)

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

The communication thus far from you guys has been superb. Hopefully it continues throughout the life of perpetuum big_smile

Thank's for the update

Red Five: if we can solve an issue without having to shut down the server we prefer that option, that's what I mean by on the fly. We'd rather have our players playing than waiting. The seriousness of the problems escalated in this case which left us with no other choice. Nothing like this happened during 19 months of beta testing, and as we're now back in normal mode with the required changes behind us we don't expect anything like this to happen again either.

7 (edited by Amlodhi 2010-11-26 22:34:21)

Red Five wrote:

"I don't know nothing about computer programming.."

that's where you screwed up

E: Also great job DEVs. I dont think people really understand the complexity of what you all do, and so go off halfcocked without fully comprehending what they are saying. But, as you can see, there are plenty of people in the community who appreciate what you all do. So thanks.

I started a little late so I missed this.

Anyhow, good job DEVs. Love the communication. Makes me support my decision to play even more smile

Good job, hope the problem was completely solved.

That's where Mortal Online *** up, they left duped/exploited stuff in at release, without a rollback.
Right decision!

Isley wrote:

Good job, hope the problem was completely solved.

That's where Mortal Online *** up, they left duped/exploited stuff in at release, without a rollback.
Right decision!

Why must mention that which must never be spoken of!  To the wolves with you!

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki