Topic: Multiple acconts the basics

if you have multiple accounts you should copy the game folder for each account

also you can use a app for this: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel … llext.html

quite simple no ?:D

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

2 (edited by Gremrod 2010-11-24 17:54:08)

Re: Multiple acconts the basics

Well, if the game was using something like app settings to store the game settings I would say yes. All you really need to do is copy the game into a new directory.

But if you want to have all copies update at the same time then Symbolic links are the way to go.

But you can make a Symbolic link with the built in windows command MKLINK (vista and win7), which would be good enough for most people.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

What advantage is there of creating several folders as compared to running them all from the same folder?

Multiple folders = multiple UI setups and game settings.

I use 2 clients and 3 accounts.  My second client runs on a smaller monitor so I need the UI to be setup for the size of that monitor.  I login on any account with both of the clients.  Its really mostly a matter of monitor size if you're using multiple monitors.

Also, if you're running multiple clients, I suggest putting them on different hard drives (internal of course) to reduce lag caused by loading times.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Even two clients perform much worser on a PC. Multi client support seems a difficult task for devs now.
Maybe if they do a short fix, like:

Client, when minimized (or window fully invisible), should stop rendering graphics.

Will help a lot, I think.

also, running the same client several time is causing heavy database corruption in some cases

7 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-25 01:16:09)

Gremrod wrote:

Well, if the game was using something like app settings to store the game settings I would say yes. All you really need to do is copy the game into a new directory.

But if you want to have all copies update at the same time then Symbolic links are the way to go.

But you can make a Symbolic link with the built in windows command MKLINK (vista and win7), which would be good enough for most people.

Can you explain this for dummies like myself? step by step

I read this and all i hear is blah blah blah.

Just copy the folder and make them update when opened. Not complicated and has worked for me for months.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

I must try the separate HD thing

Tx

I use a second computer. yikes

You know its a bit expensive to have 3 computers, to run 3 clients, for this kind of game.
I can run 4-5 EVE clients on same PC without any problems.

Melia wrote:

You know its a bit expensive to have 3 computers, to run 3 clients, for this kind of game.
I can run 4-5 EVE clients on same PC without any problems.

I've run 3 clients on my computer without any major problems.  I dont even have that much RAM either.  I guess it just depends on your setup really.

They mostly need to fix the memory leaks then multiple clients will be much easier.

ok copy game to a new directory**** i can do this****

Make them update when opened**** WHOOOOS**** huuuuu wuuuut

How much performance boost are people getting from running clients on separate HDs?

It also looks like the game is more CPU intensive than GPU, can anyone confirm this? I've tried different settings in the nvidia control panel, but nothing seems to make much of a difference. Killing off most of the background processes boosts FPS quite a bit though. Running a second client from another directory (but on the same HD) cuts FPS in half on both clients no matter what I do (so far).

But I'm not going to waste my money on a second HD if we're talking about a 5% boost.

And like Melia said, I'm able to run multiple eve clients without a problem, but I think eve may be more GPU intensive.

Separate HD's will only effect load times not general performance and the load times in Perpetuum are ridiculously fast so...I would say separate HD's will do you no good.

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

Thanks. Kind of figured. If anyone figures out some performance tweaks for dual boxing let us know. I'll keep screwing around with random settings on occasion.

I run two clients across two monitors. I run them both at the native resolution of the monitor it's displaying on. On my 2nd monitor I have dumbed the graphic details down a bit.

I copied the original game folder so that I could have them configured independently and remember settings.

-Gallowglass-

18 (edited by Demois 2010-11-29 22:10:31)

How well do you think I would be able to run 2 clients at once? Seems it's a little taxing on the PC from what I can see.

Duo e8500 3.6 OC
SLI 9800 GTX+ slightly OC
4 GIG RAM

I seem to run Perp on High with some AA enabled fine, more or less.

Demois wrote:

How well do you think I would be able to run 2 clients at once? Seems it's a little taxing on the PC from what I can see.

Duo e8500 3.6 OC
4 GIG RAM

If you turn shadows off? no problem smile

-Gallowglass-

Demois wrote:

Duo e8500 3.6 OC
4 GIG RAM

Thats the problem there. Running quad Q6600, GTX 275, 4GB RAM and running 2 clients bogs the system down. I turned everything down on both clients (tried finding the 1 that was the culprit, but could not) and they run fine. Everything maxed out works fine for just 1 though. I really think its just a matter of waiting for some client optimization.

2 clients seems to work fine for me.
Default settings with a Q6700 2.6x4 8GB RAM Windows 7 Pro 64Bit ATI 5830 1GB, 7500 rpm 1024GB Sea gate. I have aero enabled i think, but i have a black color background for my desktop, running desktop at 1440x90@60hz

PO is set to the same size as the desktop, lag is normally 200ms lows at 160 and highs of 400 with spikes hitting 2000, some times a 4k spike for just a split second on when im looking at the network pro filer.

I think the total amount of ram is really what counts here.

Core i7 970@4GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX580, W7x64Ent -> works fine in 2 windows (1920x1200 each).

big_smile big_smile big_smile

havent tried running more then 4 but its all smooth maxed out at 1680*1050.

Otherwise i would normally stick to 1-2 running Maxed on my main screen then i have all soundsdown aside from system sounds [like target lock-on] on the secondary so i know with paying much attention if something is going on their. But i use vsync so i get a solid fixed frame rate which stops any jerky motion from jumps or drops that could occur from running many monitors with games/active windows on them.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS