Topic: are you balance only PvP?

1. There are no targets for mech pilots on alpha islands. So whats the goal for typical combat PvE oriented player? Level assault and there is nothing good ahead? Don't you afraid that we will leave soon, because not much to do?

2. Recently introduced "can't destroy trash loot in combat" feature, that only some pvp'ers wanted, while, majority of players was against it, in it's current form, including some devs (according to forums).

3. No plans for something good in next patch announced. No interesting mob encounters, no mechs on alpha islands, no new pve islands with bigger mobs, no advanced bots of light and assault size for PvE.

3a. Since no future tech plans for patches announced, we really dunno, what we should spent EP on. If things like advaced medium sized weapons to fire small ammo faster (like assault missile launchers in EVE) will appear soon, then mech is a good pick. If better small size bots like advanced assaults will appear, then skill set should be really different.

4. Aren't EW bots supposed to be a support? Why they running around beta and killing everything?

x. and so on... :-(

I'm asking becasue PvP side of game getting a lot of discussion and plans, and even fixes & improvements, like extra loot. While PvE future of side looks not so bright.

So what good things should we expect? If it(Perpetuum) become only PvP game, it will die soon, due to luck of population.

Re: are you balance only PvP?

So what good things should we expect? If it(Perpetuum) become only PvP game, it will die soon, due to luck of population.

the game is meant as PvP + economy...
was there somewhere an add that tells you that this is a PvE game?

The Alpha islands are not meant as PvE playground to stay there forever - the way they are set up, is to give every player a chance to build up a backbone to expand into the open pvp zones.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

PVP is too few and far between. I wouldn't mind some good PVE content for when I'm bored, or have limited time.

There will be much more PVE content as well, according to our storyline, and fluff. cool

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

There are mechs on alpha, but they have a slow repop time and generally aren't worth farming.

Yes, I know that alpha islands have like 1-2 mechs each, but with 5min repop timer, it's not a place to fight them. They exist there, prolly to allow some testing of weapons ;-).

And about storyline, where to read, what we might expect next? Anyone got a link?

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Prologue
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Megacorps
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Discovery
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/The_Project

This is war.
If you're here to PvE, go play EVE. It's a lot more fun.

The Game

Melia wrote:

Yes, I know that alpha islands have like 1-2 mechs each, but with 5min repop timer, it's not a place to fight them. They exist there, prolly to allow some testing of weapons ;-).

And about storyline, where to read, what we might expect next? Anyone got a link?

You forget the dynamic respawn ... faster you kill them the faster they respawn.  Ppl, this is an MMO, and as much as you keep trying to solo even PVE, it's set up for ppl to work together.  Bring more friends, kill it faster, get faster respawn...

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

You can always, you know, work together with other people to make your beta island experience safer. Join one of the corps in one of the larger alliances, and I'm sure they'll help facilitate your farming expeditions on the beta islands. Grow some balls, feel the adrenaline, take a risk and head out to the beta islands.

Otherwise, you might want to try Dungeon Siege or Oblivion or something, if solo PvE is your thing.

Annihilator wrote:

the game is meant as PvP + economy...
was there somewhere an add that tells you that this is a PvE game?

The Alpha islands are not meant as PvE playground to stay there forever - the way they are set up, is to give every player a chance to build up a backbone to expand into the open pvp zones.

You brave warriors of Beta islands seem to know of an add that tells this is a pvp-only game (+economy). How about linking it here so we can all stop asking for pve content?

From the Perpetuum FAQ:

Players may take part in various areas of the project. They may fight against various enemy robots, complete assignments on behalf of the Perpetuum project, do various industrial activities, trade goods or services, or even set their own goals and set up their own coprorations.

I bolded the part for you which to me seems to refer to the pvp-part of the game. Somehow the wording doesn't seem to make pvp the main focus of Perpetuum.

Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that the pve content is lacking and for some reason you beta islanders with gigantic balls of titanium have drawn the conclusion that this is how it is supposed to be and will continue to be.

One question to you o most brave of all gamers (=all of you who have been brave enough to make pvp islands home for their pixel robots.. I salute you).. Why do you feel that good pve content and pve focused players take something away from your beloved pvp part of the game?

I'm not denying that in general in mmorpgs pvp can be and is much more fun and exciting than pve and I actually do feel that it is (especially when the pve content is something like we have now). But not everyone feels so. Imho Pvp-only players are a small but very loud minority and takes a veryvery good pvp-only system to attract enough of them to make a game profitable. I will quite likely keep playing no matter which direction the devs will actually take the game.

Just voicing my opinion because it seems clear to me that giving some coding content love to both pvp and pve would benefit everyone.

What if my goals conflicts with your goals?

13 (edited by Cullyn 2011-01-08 10:44:46)

Siddy wrote:

Then ask for a second server in which you can realize your goals alone smile.

My experience with Pvp on beta island is that you will always encounter an enemy with more figures or see the enemy running away from you. The most effective Pvp seems to me to have a large blob of Intakt.
In fact I see at the moment to few options for successful Pvp. I think that this is/will be the major reason for players to stop playing.

14 (edited by Petteri Petraaja 2011-01-08 14:52:37)

Siddy wrote:

You deal with them the way game and content permits..

On pvp-islands you can killfragdestroy.

Attaining your competitive pvp related goals should of course not be made null by safety of alpha islands. This is a balance issue no? Someone enjoying and focusing on pve part of the game should not bother anyones goals. But if a corp can fund and for large part attain their pvp island related-goals just by pve in complete safety then there is an issue.

Majority of things needed to attain pvp-related goals should require activities in pvp areas. Since I don't think you can just take away the ability to gather resources for building stuff in alpha the bot-building and nic-earning part will remain something everyone can do in peace. Which could of course be changed somewhat by some form of balanced war dec-system.

Anyways, balanced and plentiful content should give enough goals for everyone. And also enough tools and opportunities for competitive play when the goals conflict.

Petteri Petraaja

don't take me on the wrong side. Im do not belong to those PvP addicts. During the BETA i always representated the PvE side of the game.

But as it is now, i dont have any hopes for the PvE side of the game, unless they introduce mission-instances and a RTS based AI with a kind of route-finding algorithm.

What you will probably see in the near future, is a nother kind of mission, that connects the story with the Energy-transfer station on New virgina.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

Petteri Petraaja

don't take me on the wrong side. Im do not belong to those PvP addicts. During the BETA i always representated the PvE side of the game.

But as it is now, i dont have any hopes for the PvE side of the game, unless they introduce mission-instances and a RTS based AI with a kind of route-finding algorithm.

What you will probably see in the near future, is a nother kind of mission, that connects the story with the Energy-transfer station on New virgina.

I still and really hope they decide to add instances with scripted content. Or maybe they will surprise us with something else that is actually entertaining.

If however the next thing they add is another farming style assignment (related to energy transfer and shuttling repeatedly between station and points a and b clicking button) I will quite likely lose all hope on pve too and admit this is a full pvp game with some silly pve as a side show.

You're right, we do need the carebears. It's a weird kind of symbiosis that exists between those that like to smash NPCs and those that like to smash human players.

I'm all in favor of them adding more PvE content so long as it doesn't totally isolate the PvE people into 'instances' where they can play their single-player may-as-well-be-offline kind of game.

Because then we're really talking about two different games, right? One where carebears can eat their honey totally unmolested by 'evil pvp types' and another game where people are actually interested in territory control, dynamic economies and self-made strategy and tactics pitted against strategy and tactics of their fellow men (and women).

I maintain: take a risk with your bots otherwise you're better off playing Mechwarrior 2 or Oblivion.

hmm, reef - dont mistake pve content with single player content.

to name you the extreme example: 60 Player raid in WoW...

Annihilator wrote:

hmm, reef - dont mistake pve content with single player content.

to name you the extreme example: 60 Player raid in WoW...

Roll on robot instances! big_smile

The Game

Melia wrote:

1. There are no targets for mech pilots on alpha islands. So whats the goal for typical combat PvE oriented player? Level assault and there is nothing good ahead? Don't you afraid that we will leave soon, because not much to do?

ur first sentece gave urself the answer

ALPHA......

u can PvE on BETA against mechs with mechs and make good profit selling moduls on alpha market

moduls selling like 150-600k each even if just standard modules

so what u need to do is following the risc vs reward path

wana risc nothing farm bugs on aplha

or play with mechs on beta and risc something

<<< REAL POWER CAN NOT BE GIVEN, IT MUST BE TAKEN >>>

Kyr - Perpetuum Online
Helios Norlund - Darkfall Online

Melia wrote:

2. Recently introduced "can't destroy trash loot in combat" feature, that only some pvp'ers wanted, while, majority of players was against it, in it's current form, including some devs (according to forums).

3. No plans for something good in next patch announced. No interesting mob encounters, no mechs on alpha islands, no new pve islands with bigger mobs, no advanced bots of light and assault size for PvE.

3a. Since no future tech plans for patches announced, we really dunno, what we should spent EP on. If things like advaced medium sized weapons to fire small ammo faster (like assault missile launchers in EVE) will appear soon, then mech is a good pick. If better small size bots like advanced assaults will appear, then skill set should be really different.

4. Aren't EW bots supposed to be a support? Why they running around beta and killing everything?

I'm asking becasue PvP side of game getting a lot of discussion and plans, and even fixes & improvements, like extra loot. While PvE future of side looks not so bright.

<Waits for the Dogs of PvP War to start howling>... ^^

Certain parties will no doubt tell you that this is an open PvP world(if they don't tell you to go back to WoW...^^).  That Alpha isn't meant to be more than a trivial aspect of the game. REAL players rush over to the beta islands, and get ganked by the gate campers, and roaming patrols... Isn't that how the game was intended to be played? ^^ 

I suspect that since the PvP aspect is easier for a small Dev team to work with(less content required, as the players kill each other endlessly).  Thats why the initial focus is on that. I'm hoping that PvE gets developed once they get a sense of the relative numbers of players interested in both, and thus the additional profits to be had.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Wraithbane wrote:
Melia wrote:

<Waits for the Dogs of PvP War to start howling>... ^^

Certain parties will no doubt tell you that this is an open PvP world(if they don't tell you to go back to WoW...^^).  That Alpha isn't meant to be more than a trivial aspect of the game. REAL players rush over to the beta islands, and get ganked by the gate campers, and roaming patrols... Isn't that how the game was intended to be played? ^^ 

I suspect that since the PvP aspect is easier for a small Dev team to work with(less content required, as the players kill each other endlessly).  Thats why the initial focus is on that. I'm hoping that PvE gets developed once they get a sense of the relative numbers of players interested in both, and thus the additional profits to be had.

You can look into some of the quarterly reports in EvE and see that the large percentage of players stay in high sec (alpha) and as such... most of the paying customers...

23 (edited by Kain Simmons 2011-02-02 04:50:48)

i hate to barge in but Darkfa(i)ll serves as good example what happen to games that focus on pvp content only. Its a Paradise for all the Iron Man, Hardcore Ganking PvP Addicts yet its EMPTY.

All Suggestions that demand Carebears have forced to pvp at some point to progress are doomed to fail Perpetuum on long Terms. Even if we take a short look to Eve online we see that the overhelming majority of Players reside in Highsec. Pvp and Pve only Players can co exist, they will never meet and that means less targets but they fuel the economy make it cheaper and pay the server bills too so Perpetuum stays alive.

And when the Bears wine a few Months after Launch about they dont know what else to skill thats a serious issue ...

Kain Simmons wrote:

i hate to barge in but Darkfa(i)ll serves as good example what happen to games that focus on pvp content only. Its a Paradise for all the Iron Man, Hardcore Ganking PvP Addicts yet its EMPTY.

Darkfall has more players then here, A LOT more,. pvp is not its problem,. its the scripting/ afk clicking/ epic attribute grinds,. and the obvious super build problem. non combat crafters left after seeing most players just grind the skills an craft for them self. problems go much deeper then the pvp in that game. I cant help but to say it,. but the pve there is a lot of fun, and if you dont farm beside a know city full of gankers you are fine..

This game has 3 outcomes to choose from. (1) Pve dungeon crawls, (2) pvp turf wars, or (3) a blend of the palyers in a fair an fun environment. right now I think some of the issues are obvious,. pvp is a 5/10 and pve is 3/10.. all areas of the game needs to be revisited by the devs. hell pvp/pve in wow is better ATM ,.

I gave this game a 7/10 at MMORPG,. I think I may have been a bit reserved an buffed my rating a bit,. I have a soft spot for pvp games. The Devs here are taking a risk, I respect what there trying to do here.

The 3rd option is hard to achieve ,. but future devs should never give up or cave to one side or the other,. we have a market full of games like that all ready..