Topic: Runspeed boost module.

Its a module with VERY high acc consumption when activated. Can boost your runspeed by 50% for 10-15 seconds untill no accomulator left. Its a must for runspeed based games like perpetuum.

2 (edited by Shmoob 2011-01-20 17:02:08)

Re: Runspeed boost module.

Nexus module for navigation already exists. Except the current one doesn't give you 50%, but it is governed by accumulator.

Lets analyse this request....

You want to plate up so you only do 33kph in your seth but want a module that doesnt nerf your hitpoints so you can 'sprint' catch your target, demob it and then back to heavy hp setup again.

Accumulator usage is irrelevant as you just put an injector on. 

Can anyone say "I want my cake and eat it?"

Jelan wrote:

Lets analyse this request....

You want to plate up so you only do 33kph in your seth but want a module that doesnt nerf your hitpoints so you can 'sprint' catch your target, demob it and then back to heavy hp setup again.

Accumulator usage is irrelevant as you just put an injector on. 

Can anyone say "I want my cake and eat it?"

Depending on which slot it used there would be a reduction in hitpoints. I wouldn't be as worried about the heavy mechs as I would the ewar and assaults. But you are right in the sense that handling the balance on it would need to be done very delicately, as a module like this has the potential to be overly game changing.

Adom wrote:

Its a module with VERY high acc consumption when activated. Can boost your runspeed by 50% for 10-15 seconds untill no accomulator left. Its a must for runspeed based games like perpetuum.

No idee m8, I tryed this for an mounth ago and got jumped big_smile basicly wanted something similar to eve's afterburner.

Chaz Pounder wrote:
Adom wrote:

No idee m8, I tryed this for an mounth ago and got jumped big_smile basicly wanted something similar to eve's afterburner.

heard of a LWF?

Contact me in game via e-mail or PM for -CS- recruitment information.

LWF is not an afterburner, it's a nanofiber internal structure.
In this game though, with speeds all so similar, and ranges so short, you'd need something more like a MWD's drawbacks. The idea of being able to "boost" your stats (whether speed, armor, targeting, range, slope capability) with an active module is a good idea, though movement enhancing active modules would have to have horrific drawbacks to be balanced.

Your comparison of the modules is accurate, as is your call about the drawbacks, however a few things need to be considered:

1. this is not EVE. a lot of people just keep posting things that they like about eve and want in this game, that's dangerous in many ways.

2. "boosting" stats really doesn't work. there is no "magic" you can't just get more hitpoints or move faster, and so anything like that would have to have some form of equal and realistic drawback.

More speed? Sure, overload the servos and pump more power through your wiring, just remember it causes massive damage to your electronics and damage control systems as well.

Slope capability just couldn't work. If the legs can't move that way, nothing other than custom legs ( which I'm not against... ) is going to suddenly "change" that.

More armor is similar to the legs issue, but something like emergency nano-reconstructors might work, but drain massive amounts of energy or slow you down or something nearly crippling like that.

Contact me in game via e-mail or PM for -CS- recruitment information.

The only speed boost I would be in favour of is the ability to detach all arm and head slots while on the move (which would drop a can containing 50% of them) and the corresponding speed increase this would give. I don't think this is needed and any kind of speed boost given would automatically make it far easier to catch people on beta rather than for them to get away.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Lifeblood, armor boosts exist, in the form of active hardeners. Just like locking boosts exist in the form of sensor amps.

Slope capability boost, well, that would be jump jets.

But yes I agree, this is not eve. The balance is different, and the mechanics are different. People should remember that when they ask for things.

Nice idea Jita - it could be a prerequisite to abandoning your mech in an escape arkhe - and arkhes in general would be nothing more then that - and the MK2 would be what the arkhe is now. Abandonend mech could be loaded up in a transporter only.

But anyway - it isnt hard to make the slots to unequip/drop selectable in terminals.

The ability to make tactical/short-term 'strategic' changes on the battlefield would be a great takeaway from this thread IMO.  As it is too many fights are determined beforehand IMO by spy work and intel management.  Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it means most fights are won and lost before a shot is fired, sometimes even before leaving the terminal.  This does detract from the on-the-field gameplay element, I think.

The Blind Bot -- watch your six, my aim aint so good these days!

As long as there is a real chance you can get frozen in place for a minute afterwards.

14 (edited by Cid Jorgumeri 2011-01-28 03:21:11)

You mean such that the tradeoff is useless for its stated purpose?

edit: hurf durf, mixed threads

Anyways, I'm thinking a one-way field trade off, like being able to fit a 'jettision' system in some mod slot that enables module ejection to reduce mass.  I.e. specifically usable (while maybe not a good idea), in mid-fight.  Getting frozen doing that would just be silly I think.

Not cool, since modules is only thing you afraid to lose (bot insured). I prefer to respawn at kara and equip fitted seth then running there 20min to equip something.

Cid Jorgumeri wrote:

You mean such that the tradeoff is useless for its stated purpose?

edit: hurf durf, mixed threads

Anyways, I'm thinking a one-way field trade off, like being able to fit a 'jettision' system in some mod slot that enables module ejection to reduce mass.  I.e. specifically usable (while maybe not a good idea), in mid-fight.  Getting frozen doing that would just be silly I think.

Yes, the idea is an addition for a possible escape scenario to not loose uninsured bots. Since module get lost - the most expensive loss (on most used bots) is already there.

So another freezing penalty would make no sense. The opponent gave up and tries to withdraw - he should hav a slight chance to do so at least.

Adom wrote:

Not cool, since modules is only thing you afraid to lose (bot insured). I prefer to respawn at kara and equip fitted seth then running there 20min to equip something.

In this case, the idea isnt to prevent losses, its to have the ability to sacrifice modules to close speed to a target if the speed difference is low enough and you want the kill bad enough.

how you going to kill someone without modules lol

It would be great to find something to move faster. Maybe a module that automatically disable when you are targeted. It would be only for travel because robots are excessively slow in general, or, to be more precise, you have a slow feeling when you travel (even if robots are not that slow).

What about giving heavy mechs the ability to transform into a vehicle mode.

a) Vehicle mode moves at 80kph.
b) Heavy Mech is totally helpless while in vehicle mode.  No mods can be used offensively or defensively.
c) Heavy Mech takes 1 minute to convert between Mech mode and Vehicle mode.

In 1 move, you will make heavy mechs much much cooler and interesting, for the graphics if nothing else.  Heavy mechs will be movable faster from point to point but while they are moving they are vulnerable.  There will be interesting strategic decisions arising from this, balancing increased speed against the vulnerability of the vehicle mode.
The cool factor of heavy mechs and the game will soar.

This is still just a bandaid for trying to get a mech into a 'roaming role'.

I agree with what you want, which is a mech that is more useful, but whats needed are more opportunities to use a mech, not changes in the mech itself.

Game is 99% roaming at the moment, so yes if you want to use a mech your are SOL sad

Maybe some objective that has the capability of 1-shotting light bots?

Dev Zoom wrote:

In b4 Alf saying that since speed is such an important factor in Perpetuum, this would be a must-have module for everyone

Some form of boost fitted on every bot, might work then?

RIP PERPETUUM

I like Celebros idea!

You guys realise that the last post was 7 months ago?
Gravedigging much?

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

My recent thread was closed with a link here.