Topic: Missiles vs other ammo

Why do I need x amount of skills to use some kind of missiles but no skill requirements on other ammo types?

The Enclave - A mature, friendly, and cooperative corporation.

Re: Missiles vs other ammo

That's quite a vague question, so I'm going to guess you mean ballistic missiles. The reason is very simple: in the case of missiles short and long range differentiation is done with the ammunitions, as opposed to turrets where you have the same ammunition, but short and long range modules. Long range turrets require higher extensions, just like long range missiles.

The second possibility is that every weapon type has one ammo type with higher extension requirements because it has the most effective damage type (for example chemoactive missiles).

If neither is what you mean then please be more specific.

Oh sorry, what I mean is Medium Chemical missiles (doesn't matter what range) require advanced ballistics 5. 

Medium chem Slugs/Energy Cells only require adv level 1.

That doesn't seem right to me.

for slugs, its the composite slugs
for laser-cells its the multispectral ammo
for firearms its the chemoactive bullets

you could also argument - the missiles just need the extension that you will have on that lvl anyway. The other three weapons got a range penalty ontop of that and need other extensions on very high levels to be usable in actual combat (range + falloff)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

you could also argument - the missiles just need the extension that you will have on that lvl anyway. The other three weapons got a range penalty ontop of that and need other extensions on very high levels to be usable in actual combat (range + falloff)

Missiles require no less extensions at all (where is the equivalent of missile guidance for other weapons?) also  missile skills for some reason use heavy industry and RnD attrributes too for wepons unlike the turrets which are only tactics and mechatronics.

But wait until artillery comes in. All those lovely missile skills will be used

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

If that's really the case then good cause otherwise you're going to see even less missile bots on the field then you already do.

8 (edited by Gaulois 2011-01-23 01:21:21)

HereticZero wrote:
Jita wrote:

If that's really the case then good cause otherwise you're going to see even less missile bots on the field then you already do.

Event "less" ? They are the most common type of bots. (exception of Ewar, because Troiar is too slow)

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Plenty of missile bots have come in handy in our PvP ops to put damage on people in crappy terrain.