Re: Make Perpetuum great again

"Perpetuum T-1000"

ADFormer wrote:

Now that I think about it, why do we have to shut the game down, write something up while leaving the game running and send out the mother of all updates? I mean storage and function wise that may not be a good idea, but at least people will still be able to play and keep their progress right? Or maybe even just bring perpetuum 2.0 alive small update by small update, also technically wouldn't we be making perpetuum 4.0 or even 5.0 because right now it is at 3.0 (more specifically 3.8.3) I mean right?

Keeping the progress is half the issue.

Due to several different patches, fixes and exploits that were not exploits, old corps have massive stashs of resources and people have hit the 3m EP.

If we were ever to get a bunch of new guys in, old corps would always have a giant advantage, especially if we roll back the massive industrial boosts (which we definitely should, the amount of minerals you can get in a very short time make every piece of equipment pretty much worthless, except for the prototype-fragments)

Full wipe can be acceptable, but then people have to be sure that the things are going to change pretty soon. Maybe such a wipe can be performed at the same time as the game-changing improvements are performed

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Wait you guys, if you take over, are going to wipe everything from everyone? HOW IS THAT FAIR!?! Some of us have played since the beginning of Perpetuums existance to get this far! Not me but I know a few, some examples are Deathpaw, Inda, and Gtom

If this game is to succeed, catering to the whims of the ten people still playing is not likely to be a priority

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

106 (edited by Broker 2017-06-17 20:12:48)

Full wipe is another brilliant idea how to make game finally "alive" for good.
Previous was switching from time-based progression to grind-based, halving the population.
Wiping every year is quite logical change after that. (because after a year some corps will have UNFAIR advantage)
I wonder how bad it can became before an official funeral roll

Broker wrote:

Previous was switching from time-based progression to grind-based, halving the population.
Wiping every year is quite logical change after that. (because after a year some corps will have UNFAIR advantage)

Is not about advantages

Is about new rules - new characters

That's why wipe shouldn't come alone but together with the some patch that changes the game mechanics

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:
Broker wrote:

Is not about advantages

Is about new rules - new characters

That's why wipe shouldn't come alone but together with the some patch that changes the game mechanics

Changes to game mechanics doesn't require wiping.
In case of really drastic changes, resources can be converted to something equal (something like that happened in kernels patch), and if it'll also change a lot in skill's tree, move all point to unallocated. Simple.

Jita wrote:

If this game is to succeed, catering to the whims of the ten people still playing is not likely to be a priority

There's much more people which can return in case of a miracle in this game development.
It's also good for reputation if there was no wipes. Not very motivating when devs press the delete button everytime they're in a bad mood, without real reason.

would need to be a reset at some point I have 2-300 billion nic in assets that's just my stuff. not to mention our corp has trillions

Jita wrote:

I cannot disagree with this statement.

Well, I'm glad that selling the game to its players is just a harmles fantasy smile

Broker wrote:

Well, I'm glad that selling the game to its players is just a harmles fantasy smile

At this point it's just purely a discussion. We have no facts/information about the way the DEVS feel about the game and more importantly, it's future. So everything said within this thread is purely speculation and theorising.
Until we have solid facts/information from the DEVS everything here is as such.

We have all the information necessary. 7 years after release and 17 years after starting development, the game has a peak concurrent user activity of ~10 accounts and therefore isn't making enough money to pay a single developer working full time. You have to remember that the game isn't subscription based anymore - most of the accounts and players that are active are most likely not using EP boost therefore they aren't paying money to the Devs. There are no cosmetics to sell either. The game simply isn't making money outside of some random Steam dudes accidental purchase before they realize there is no population and try to refund.

Evidently the money being made is enough to pay for server cost & bandwidth, for now. The game is pretty much in maintenance mode or on life support. That's why there aren't any posts or blogs, even though after ~7 years I reckon the guys still enthusiastic about this game at least deserve a "Sorry we tried but it isn't working out it's me not you" blog post.

If you guys are really serious about throwing money at buying this game, I'd suggest you organize your sh*t and start working on a brand new game instead. Or if you simply want to buy the game to shut it down, then sure go ahead and flush the money down the drain.

So wait, now that I think about it, what is restarting the game going to do, those people, such as Ethos and Chaos (which I have found to be the two most active large corperations), wouldn't they restart the corp, and work together to build back to where they were in almost no time flat? If that happens then it would almost be like the restart did nothing. But why don't we all try and do what I do, when ever someone joins Ethos, I give them 15m nic and take them under my wing to make sure they get to a high lvl very fast, they want to do industry I go out and mine with them, they want to do combat and I'll start launching TAPs.

ADFormer wrote:

So wait, now that I think about it, what is restarting the game going to do, those people, such as Ethos and Chaos (which I have found to be the two most active large corperations), wouldn't they restart the corp, and work together to build back to where they were in almost no time flat? If that happens then it would almost be like the restart did nothing. But why don't we all try and do what I do, when ever someone joins Ethos, I give them 15m nic and take them under my wing to make sure they get to a high lvl very fast, they want to do industry I go out and mine with them, they want to do combat and I'll start launching TAPs.

the last time the DEVs did a reset during beta, and gave the "vet player" some jumpstart bonuses,
it took like two weeks to get back to the situation before the reset, and another three weeks to have the balance difference back.

and that in an enviroment where we had random research and not the current system.

ADFormer - giving a new player everything from day one -> what content is there for him beside PvP that he can't have without someone else willing to do with him?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Altera wrote:

Is this just some last ditch effort/dream or is this a realistic thing that Inda has been discussing with the Dev team (since he is a neighbor of theirs)? 0.o

If so, I hope he (or someone else) has a realistic plan for taking over this game.  It has great potential, but it takes more then just the money from a dozen fans to make a good idea turn into reality. You need someone with a business head, someone with project management skills and someone with SW development experience to assess this.  Setting up a kickstarter project would be a good way for you to get 1. your plan communicated to potential funders, 2. goals set and tracked for this endeavor 3. visibility beyond the 10 (am I generous) players still afk mining in game and a bunch of us forum trolls. 

This game was created over many years and with the tireless efforts of a dedicated group of devs. Even their love of this project could not get this game to where it should be.  I can guarantee those guys at one point, eat, slept, lived and $h!t this game, so I do not think a few guys throwing money and maybe spending some spare time to 'code' stuff is going to get anything of value done.

I want something good to happen to, but right now we sound like a bunch of kids dreaming of when we become adults.

THIS

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

118 (edited by Inda 2017-06-19 00:03:59)

As I saw, Albion, Crowfall get a good amount of support.

So I think Perpetuum 2.0 will be also a viable option financially but you need to make a really good crowfounding campaign. if you are planning smaller than those ones. So if somebody feel the power or energy to try to make that happens that would be the best about this game (but have to owns the rights if the DEVS dont want to continue). I would really support that one, if that is not happens the plan B is there what Null mentioned. So we will try to sustain and tweak, and lets see how far we can get as a cumminty. (And I would support plan B for 2 year max then over.)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:

So I think Perpetuum 2.0 will be also a viable option financially but you need to make a really good crowfounding campaign. if you are planning smaller than those ones. So if somebody feel the power or energy to try to make that happens that would be the best about this game (but have to owns the rights if the DEVS dont want to continue). I would really support that one, if that is not happens the plan B is there what Null mentioned. So we will try to sustain and tweak, and lets see how far we can get as a cumminty. (And I would support plan B for 2 year max then over.)

albion and crowfall have over 100,000 players......perp would be lucky to get 100 maybe 200 but that's stretching it a bit

There were +300k players in this Albion beta.

Naismith wrote:

There were +300k players in this Albion beta.

Its going to be nuts in a months time when it launches... Planning for good times big_smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

ADFormer wrote:
the last time the DEVs did a reset during beta, and gave the "vet player" some jumpstart bonuses,
it took like two weeks to get back to the situation before the reset, and another three weeks to have the balance difference back.
and that in an enviroment where we had random research and not the current system.
ADFormer - giving a new player everything from day one -> what content is there for him beside PvP that he can't have without someone else willing to do with him?
*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annialator, I have nothing left to go for, I have everything, but I still have fun because I help Ethos grow as well, in my opinion you don't let people grow by them selfs, you help them grow.

Also Inda, to let you know it is community not cumminty.

But really I think this game is great the way it is, it just need a little population boost.

124 (edited by Broker 2017-06-19 19:04:09)

ADFormer wrote:

But really I think this game is great the way it is, it just need a little population boost.

Yep, and revert a couple of patches.

MMOs tend to get worse with patches at some point, sometimes it's good time to make videos, events, advertising and other stuff instead of developing. Sad, but after looking at some examples, looks real.

Rugerx wrote:
Inda wrote:

albion and crowfall have over 100,000 players......perp would be lucky to get 100 maybe 200 but that's stretching it a bit

Seems like you guys didnt get the point here.

I meant after we/they make a crowfounding campaing, and a plan to the future, they would get some good amount of attention, and money! This is what I think. Its not that much, because this is Sci-fi not Fantasy or another reason.

Energy to Earth!