Re: Make Perpetuum great again

And here is a video of Zoom putting the price: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY

I'd happily give zoom five grand and pay for the server costs to keep the game going on a FTP basis.

I'd take a 51% share in the company and all I would need is the code rolling back to post release after beta.

This is a serious offer.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Line wrote:

Actually, all together we can get some money and buy out the game, then develop it as we want and as fast as we can afford, hiring developers or participating personally, whatever

I can literally throw thousands of dollars at this.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:
Line wrote:

Actually, all together we can get some money and buy out the game, then develop it as we want and as fast as we can afford, hiring developers or participating personally, whatever

I can literally throw thousands of dollars at this.

logged in for first time in months to agree with this

80 (edited by Inda 2017-06-15 02:00:27)

SUPPORTERS:

Line/Doom Beamer

Jita
Khetar
Rynikwiz
Blocker
NullPointer
Mroq
myself
I am pretty sure many many more!

We should meet a cooms meeting what these guys would like to see to change for good to the game.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I haven't played Perp much; barely a month or two a WHILE back, but the time I played was filled with fun, and if this gets off the ground, I'd be glad to contribute some cash to help improve the game.

put me down for 5k if they are willing to sell for a decent price its not worth 1 million zoom

If the game and all of its content in development could be sold for 300k USD or less they might find a studio to purchase it considering its current state of reviews and player population.

Sorry zoom, all the blood and tears put into building this great concept is still only as good as those willing to buy into it. At the moment there's no content release or balance that might be able to bring it back from the dead without previous players thinking it's under new management.

No studio would buy it because the code is incomprehensible. You think they haven't tried?

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Inda wrote:

SUPPORTERS:

Line/Doom Beamer

Jita
Khetar
Rynikwiz
Blocker
NullPointer
Mroq
myself
I am pretty sure many many more!

We should meet a cooms meeting what these guys would like to see to change for good to the game.

And me, can support with some time as programmer(PhD).

86 (edited by Inda 2017-06-15 13:27:07)

Broker wrote:
Inda wrote:

SUPPORTERS:

...etc.

And me, can support with some time as programmer(PhD).

That Would be amazing Broker! Good to know!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Well I'm on board, as long as you don't make it impossible for industrials to do thier job without being blown up, now all I can contribute is idea's if I were to help with this though.

and if you remove any islands or terminals tell people so they can move their stuff.

89 (edited by Altera 2017-06-15 21:27:59)

Is this just some last ditch effort/dream or is this a realistic thing that Inda has been discussing with the Dev team (since he is a neighbor of theirs)? 0.o

If so, I hope he (or someone else) has a realistic plan for taking over this game.  It has great potential, but it takes more then just the money from a dozen fans to make a good idea turn into reality. You need someone with a business head, someone with project management skills and someone with SW development experience to assess this.  Setting up a kickstarter project would be a good way for you to get 1. your plan communicated to potential funders, 2. goals set and tracked for this endeavor 3. visibility beyond the 10 (am I generous) players still afk mining in game and a bunch of us forum trolls. 

This game was created over many years and with the tireless efforts of a dedicated group of devs. Even their love of this project could not get this game to where it should be.  I can guarantee those guys at one point, eat, slept, lived and $h!t this game, so I do not think a few guys throwing money and maybe spending some spare time to 'code' stuff is going to get anything of value done.

I want something good to happen to, but right now we sound like a bunch of kids dreaming of when we become adults.

I wasn't offering money to crowdfund, I wanted to buy it.

TBH it should just shut down already

Rowboat wrote:

More to the point has anyone heard a word from zoom?

I think the only way to salvage this game is to shut it down.  upgrade the graphics , repackage it, add a *** load of content and start over.  It is a great game, but lets face the fact boys its over.  I personally had a lot of fun met a lot of great people and a few bad ones, however as the game currently stands its not worth going back to.

Like i said, perpetuum has run its course and the only way forward is 2.0.

92 (edited by Goffer 2017-06-16 07:17:57)

I would support this game also.

I agree that this game needs some decissions of the last 4 years reverted. On the other hand I think that also a lot decissions in the last years also drove the game to a better next level. In my opinion it is mainly a balancing issue that needs to be changed, but this means as well industrial balancing as also module balancing

On the large picture I think that it will be hard to find a base that satisfy all player. E.g I like most points of current gamma system and would hate to see the old gamma back. Others don't like gamma at all and like a game with only 6 islands as we started.

And while I was always against a wipe, I think this game is only able to recover now with a start from scratch for every player.

ADFormer this game has a lot player that have some insight on programming on a certain level. It is just the question of how many having insight in game design. And ofc if you ever tried to dig in foreign code, you learn how hard this can end. I know of larger games with decent size coder team that could not manage to find and solve some bugs that effected every player.

93 (edited by Line 2017-06-16 11:12:26)

Currently main question is - will the DEVs agree to sell the game to players (or whatever to make us in charge), and what will be the conditions of such a trade?

Need them to answer first.

The rest we can handle later.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Inda is Indian.

I speak broken English.

95 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2017-06-16 13:23:25)

Why buy this game? It uses a custom built engine. Thats not terrible but does seem to show signs of age & limitation due to the fact a hand full of people know its coding well?

Better to start fresh with a modern engine that lets you focus maybe more on good game design. The core concept of perpetuum say as it was a few years back if you threw in some balance tweaks was a great time for PVP. The core of the game had decent balance.

Player built structures were fun but in hindsight might have been a mistake & took away valuable game development time in other areas.

Rowboat wrote:
Rowboat wrote:

More to the point has anyone heard a word from zoom?

I think the only way to salvage this game is to shut it down.  upgrade the graphics , repackage it, add a *** load of content and start over.  It is a great game, but lets face the fact boys its over.  I personally had a lot of fun met a lot of great people and a few bad ones, however as the game currently stands its not worth going back to.

Like i said, perpetuum has run its course and the only way forward is 2.0.

QFT

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

So Leary I thought that at first because of his user name..... Now I could be wrong, but I remember one day he did say he was hungarian. And if you guys are going to shut down the game, could you give everything back to players when your done because I gave this game nearly 2 years of work and around $77 to get all of my 6 characters and with the state they are in, and I JUST got a preatorian gropho and I don't want to get rid of it already. So I would really like it if (if this all even happens) that some folder saves what players have with them and that is returned once the game is brought back. And also, why do we have to take over the game, why can't we work for the current devs and be advisors and more programmers and such? Also another thing about the industrials being in more danger, I have a thought for this, what if all the miners, harvesters, and artifact scanners quit because they were tired of being blown up, who would construct those combat bots for PvP???

As I see it there are 2 paths forward:

A) the game's IP is bought, and redeveloped from scratch  (ditch the technical debt and use a modern supported game engine like Obi said) and market it as Perpetuum 2.0 (credit:rugerx)

B) Open-source, open-development by community.  Again there is the technical debt problem, but there are Tools that were developed for people to create in-game content, with minimal touching of code, and largely just creating or editing tables in databases. (I am supposing this implementation, and there is a "dev-client" I've seen screenshots of, but I can't be sure this exists.  A good question for the dev team)

Option B will also require some minimal financial support from the community for server costs.

As Altera mentions though, Option B presents a real problem, who legally "owns" the game, who calls the shots who is liable in lawsuits, you know realshit.  Jita is making a strategic, and not very subtle, move to hold the majority so he can make unilateral decisions for the company. (Not saying its a bad thing wink
Now, again a question for the Devs/creators, if they would be willing to go open-source, but still control IP, write-access to repository, and DBs, this might be the best solution.
Devs do admin/management, community develops and there is more community buy-in (active participation).  This might be the best of both worlds.

I think I've seen more appeals to Devs to offer help in ALL forms, donations, programming, asset creation, advertising, event-creation, etc.  With the caveat of wanting to hear what the Devs want.  If the devs ask this community for help, you can bet they will *** step up.

In the meantime, I'll keep updating the wiki, only thing I have write-access to in this game XD

ADFormer wrote:

So Leary I thought that at first because of his user name..... Now I could be wrong, but I remember one day he did say he was hungarian. And if you guys are going to shut down the game, could you give everything back to players when your done because I gave this game nearly 2 years of work and around $77 to get all of my 6 characters and with the state they are in, and I JUST got a preatorian gropho and I don't want to get rid of it already. So I would really like it if (if this all even happens) that some folder saves what players have with them and that is returned once the game is brought back. And also, why do we have to take over the game, why can't we work for the current devs and be advisors and more programmers and such? Also another thing about the industrials being in more danger, I have a thought for this, what if all the miners, harvesters, and artifact scanners quit because they were tired of being blown up, who would construct those combat bots for PvP???

He says Hungarian but he is in fact Indian from Jaipur.

I speak broken English.

So far noone even tried to start developing Perpetuum 2.0 (and don't tell me there are licensing issues, it's all can be solved if really necessary), and I doubt that shutting ths one will speed up or at least start that process

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Now that I think about it, why do we have to shut the game down, write something up while leaving the game running and send out the mother of all updates? I mean storage and function wise that may not be a good idea, but at least people will still be able to play and keep their progress right? Or maybe even just bring perpetuum 2.0 alive small update by small update, also technically wouldn't we be making perpetuum 4.0 or even 5.0 because right now it is at 3.0 (more specifically 3.8.3) I mean right?