26 (edited by Gekko 2016-09-26 08:56:09)

Re: Scheduled server downtime - 2016-09-23

Inda wrote:
Gekko wrote:

Anyway, why aren't they red, like Arkhe?
This is boring.

Because that is *purple* not red big_smile

But for me its would be ok.

For some reason it's purple only in robopedia and icon, ingame it's actually evil-red smile
http://imgur.com/a/FVhZu
http://imgur.com/a/SwPCJ

27 (edited by Annihilator 2016-09-26 11:39:52)

the ingame color is something between fuchsia and Rasperry red
in bright orange lighting, it may look red.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Well, thats looks kewl and trendy, so why not!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Hotfix deployed for the Vektor.

30 (edited by Chemist 2016-09-27 15:48:57)

Em...

3-skill 10lvl=2
2-evasive t4p=0.8
0.8-nexus 10lvl=0.25

0.25 hit size. almost no changes...

First, I think the difference between invulnerable and not invulnerable can be called a change. (And let's not forget the fact that it wasn't invulnerable in the first place since its accumulator could be drained.)

Second, it's been like that for almost 2 months and noone said a thing. Quite the contrary actually, some people even said that the hit size reduction bonus is useless and it would have to be more prominent to have an effect.

But let's see:

Basic robotics lvl 10, the T4P evasive module, and the evasive nexus at lvl 10 brings 3 down to 0.25, that's correct.

What can you use against that beyond draining its energy:

* Any light laser's hit dispersion is 3
* Precision firing lvl 10 makes that 3*(1-(10*0.03))=2.1
* T4 weapon stabilizer brings that down by 15% to 1.78 (using 2 means 1.52, and using 3 means 1.29)

1.78 dispersion against a 0.25 hit size means ~0.14, which is a 14% chance to hit (16% with 2 stabs, 19% with 3). (Or in other words: every 7th (6th, 5th) shot hits on average.)

That's for a robot which has been designed to have evasion as its main defense.

ps. I realize there is a discrepancy between modules and extensions modifying turret dispersion and hit size, some using linear reduction, and some being percentage-based. They should be made consistent either way.

dont forget, small missiles - hit for 100% and deal  ~9% of their damage.
medium compacts deal ~4.5% of their damage

for a waspish thats "just" 15-20 volleys to sure-kill

what i don't know what happens if a vektor pilot trades the LWF against a small shield or small repair module.
DEV Zoom hasn't replied to my latest support ticket regarding a bug.

but now zoom -
a good question to you:

why did you nerf the prometheus' hitpoints a few patches ago, just to implement a bot that can gate-scout even better because it cant bet hit that easily?

now we have
vektor - evasion tank scout
castel - shield tank scout
prometheus - nerfed armor tank scout
yagel - was once a cheap bot to quickly carry plasma from alpha to beta for cash, but now we got the ikarus i dont see any usage for it - self repair is to weak
ikarus - fast trading bot

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

DEV Zoom wrote:

Second, it's been like that for almost 2 months and noone said a thing. Quite the contrary actually, some people even said that the hit size reduction bonus is useless and it would have to be more prominent to have an effect.

this is partially a bad interpretation of yours -
i said the dispersion of medium weapons is to small to begin with, to give a small bot - especially the assault one - a notable chance building up its defense on "small hitsize"

your reaction was, reducing the hitsize of the bots even more, instead of increasing the dispersion of medium weapons.
the result is - even small weapons are now hardly able to hit those small bots, and you even suggest to use dual stabilizers together (+1050kg mass! -10% demob resist) with small weapons to counter that, after fixing the mistake of allowing negative hitsizes.

so,
the better reaction would have been the requested dispersion increase,
and eventually a new stat on evasion modules to have missiles miss more often (and suddenly it would make sense to fit one on a heavy mech...)

Annihilator wrote:

why did you nerf the prometheus' hitpoints a few patches ago

It still has the highest armor among the light robots, but based on my in-class tests, the survivability of the Prometheus was disproportionally higher than the other two. The same test inspired the boost of the Castel. (Castel should dominate the Prometheus in theory, but it was only barely winning. Meanwhile the Prometheus and the Yagel were dominating their rock-paper-scissors counterparts.)

while you are at it zoom fix the hit dispersion and the bonus would actually be a decent one

DEV Zoom wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

why did you nerf the prometheus' hitpoints a few patches ago

It still has the highest armor among the light robots, but based on my in-class tests, the survivability of the Prometheus was disproportionally higher than the other two. The same test inspired the boost of the Castel. (Castel should dominate the Prometheus in theory, but it was only barely winning. Meanwhile the Prometheus and the Yagel were dominating their rock-paper-scissors counterparts.)

so this balance decision was based on RPS balance between the three combat smalls if they actually fit weapons, and no lwf-shield-accumulator combination?

what does your statistics say about how often new-to-old player ever use small bots? AFAIK new player start with enough extension points to use an assault or mech right away and can skip them.
veteran AFAIK only use castel with demobs and shields to run around, and prometheus as gate scout. in other words, as light EWAR bots.

what weapons did you use in your tests?
pvp or chemoactive ammo (aka totally negating the racial resist system)? firearms on the prometheus
did your castel perma-demob the prometheus in your test, and lob missiles over obstacles the lasers couldn't shoot back?

given the RPS balance, a prometheus should have an equal fith with an arbalest,
because its:
1. faster (outrunning the bigger assault bot)
2. smaller (beeing missed by the inaccurate light em guns)
3. damage dealt by prom should be higher then recieved because of the RPS balance
4. yellows higher hitpoints + higher range should should counter blues self-repair and speed

in reality its:
1. negated by locking-range distance and demobs. fully equipped for combat, the assault is probably at least equal in speed
2. with extensions up, light em guns have 100% chance to hit
3. chemo-ammo, and point 2.
4. point 1, 2, and 3 already negate this.

afaik, last time i went out with a prom against an arbalest, it took me 10 minutes to kill it (even though it was afk)

37 (edited by Jita 2016-09-29 08:14:43)

DEV 'I balance with the lights off'  Zoom wrote:

The Vektor tank doesn't matter until its broken. Its anemic damage can be easily overcome andvit suffers the same problem as the locust.

Its still a terrible assault due to the combination of gun range and demob vulnerability. Any competent assault pilot vs a Locust will win 100% of the time

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

last but not least
if the prometheus' hitpoints got nerfed, because it could kill an unshielded castel....

i cannot wait to see how seth's balance agains grophos will turn out

so the promy got an HP nerf but it's speed stayed the same... Looks balanced Zoom keep doing what ur doing i think it's working

Good read, 8/10 would reread.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.