Topic: Dual universe

Hi,

Check this single shard sandbox Space MMO coming on alpha next year: http://www.dualthegame.com/

Sounds promising, kickstarter will be up tommorow.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Dual universe

Looks interesting

The Kickstarter for Dual Universe is up.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 … -fi-mmorpg

If anybody wants alpha access, which should be available 2nd half of 2016, according to their FAQ, please support Gold founder pack or above. With Gold founder pack, you get access to the game almost 2 years before official launch and 21 months worth of subscription. Almost 4 years of play time. Definitely the best deal for 100 Euros (Early bird).

I bet after this game is launched, very few people will be playing Eve-online or Perpetuum, provided the game lives up to it's announced features.

It is your chance to get involved with the next gen MMORPG! smile It is now or never. Early bird pledgs are still up for grabs.

4 (edited by Annihilator 2016-09-08 19:46:43)

GlobalHawk wrote:

I bet after this game is launched, very few people will be playing Eve-online or Perpetuum, provided the game lives up to it's announced features.

you mean like "Elite Dangerous", "Star Citicen" or"no mans sky" ?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Another WoW killer.

I speak broken English.

Annihilator wrote:
GlobalHawk wrote:

you mean like "Elite Dangerous", "Star Citicen" or"no mans sky" ?

Yes, something similar to those game. USP is Dual Universe is supposed to be completely editable world with voxel level editor. It is like you can design your own buildings, spaceships, etc, instead of being restricted to what Devs provide. I just love the idea of being able to unleash the creativity in single shard game. Watch the pre-alpha videos and intro video on kickstarter to get an idea of the planned features.

I backed Gold Founder pack, so that I can get alpha access, in next few months. I can't wait until end of 2018 for full game launch.

well, i meant that regarding the disappointment of the majority of the backers of the listed games.

Dual Universe wants to combine "space engineers", "minecraft" and "mmo" into a single-shard server.
Especially the last one is something i want to see before i believe it, since Elite Dangerous was such a downer in that aspect.

EvE online works, because they have that huge server-farm and the dice-roll combat - and they could grow for ten years.

And you are looking forward to unleash the productive creativity of those voxel-construction games into an MMO on a single shard. -
- well, i am looking forwad to see the destructive creativity of players like Syndic or Styx beeng unleased on such a game.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

well, i meant that regarding the disappointment of the majority of the backers of the listed games.

Dual Universe wants to combine "space engineers", "minecraft" and "mmo" into a single-shard server.
Especially the last one is something i want to see before i believe it, since Elite Dangerous was such a downer in that aspect.

EvE online works, because they have that huge server-farm and the dice-roll combat - and they could grow for ten years.

And you are looking forward to unleash the productive creativity of those voxel-construction games into an MMO on a single shard. -
- well, i am looking forwad to see the destructive creativity of players like Syndic or Styx beeng unleased on such a game.

#truth

Honestly, I have 0 faith that this will come to fruition in the way that is advertised. After Elite and SC, it's promising too much.  Even Space Engineers is still in beta. 

That being said, if it were to happen, I don't see it evolving past a giant pile of abandoned ruins from what were once space stations (for about 15 minutes) before being torn down by the pew pew crowd.   There will be optimal space ship configurations that everyone will crank out and then go knock all the care bear sandcastles down until there are no sandcastles and they'll just blow up each other.

I mean, good luck,  but I remain skeptical.

It's ok to be skeptical, I had no interest in Elite, some interest in SC which I think has become overly ambitious.

Dual Universe on the other hand has a strong focus on just being and MMO Eve-style with a Minecraft element to it.

It ticks all the boxes personally:

Single shard/server
ICE here = DAC
Safe zones
PVP zones
Monthly sub sounds realistic to maintain servers
Seamless with no loading screens
Planetary/space gameplay out of the box
How the game reduces lag: https://youtu.be/BNEVjalwmnY

There's much more out there too, that makes this a good project to back. It's already backed 37% already in 2 days, trending towards a 2million EUR backing https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/19498 … i-mmorpg/.

RIP PERPETUUM

well, the real time instancing is a given must have. thats similar to what EVE does, just less "static", and something that the perp-devs have missed to develop (perp consists of one instance per island)

the dual universe DEVs explain how they make a kind of LoD for data transfer between those individual player instances depending on distance. 
As far as i can tell, the game world will be DEAD, only populated by player and inanimate voxel constructs, as this dynamic instancing probably has an issue with persistant npcs

Pie in the sky

12 (edited by GlobalHawk 2016-09-12 14:33:37)

One reason I have confidence in this game because of the person behind this game. J C Baillie, expert in AI & Robotics and co-founder of Aldebaran robotics company, which makes Nao robot. (p.s. I am a robotics engineer) About 2 years back Aldebaran robotics sold majority stake to Softbank groups, Japan. I am speculating that J C Baillie, put the money he made into  NovaQuark company which is making Dual Universe game. I have been tracking this game and company for more than a year. They have a solid team and a person with his head on the shoulder at the helm. If anybody is going to pull of this kind of game and technology needed, it will be the NovaQuark team. People of that calibre don't sit back and make 'me too' game. They just create new frontier. Of course there will be challenges that comes with one of the kind game.

No man's sky stumbled at PR mess. They over promised and under delivered. If they had done the opposite, it would have been hailed as one of the kind.  They probably launched before game was ready as they needed more money to develop all the features promised.

It is in our hands to ensure that Dual Universe game succeed, by supporting them generously on Kickstarter.

If I wanted to flush money down the toilet I'd buy another perpetuum account

14 (edited by Annihilator 2016-09-13 11:54:47)

nah, that kickstarter goal there is only 5x the annual revenue of perpetuum of the steam-release year... AFAIK

Update on this one - they actually managed to finish the kickstarter goal.

The most promising aspect of the game -> you wont even need to "cheat" with bots and similar things, since they plan to have that as an actual feature.

I've been casually watching this game, and will likely be giving it a try.

A lot of sandbox games developing today. Not really interested right now, but looking forward to what will come out of this trend. After all, it's a lot better than many previous trends...