Re: New devblog: Syndicate robots inbound

DEV Zoom wrote:
Inda wrote:

Fair enough, but cant change the head on that two?

Legatus: the Seth head is not compatible, and if I use the Mesmer head you'll say it's Mesmer Mk3 smile Same thing if I wanted to change the legs.

Locust: no real problems here, I just chose what looked best with the Arbalest chassis.

And re: Daidalos, this would work too, though it looks kinda like a chicken smile
http://i.imgur.com/cmERxSw.png

Well I think better than before!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

http://imgur.com/cmERxSw - ok but why not sequer legs? would look more tanky

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

DEV Zoom wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Legatus: the Seth head is not compatible, and if I use the Mesmer head you'll say it's Mesmer Mk3 smile Same thing if I wanted to change the legs.

But I admit this looks good:
http://i.imgur.com/ZLmQtuw.png

The head is clipping a bit with the collar when it turns, but it's nothing serious.

"we are the Borg, resistance is futile"
can you make it have green shields?

DEV Zoom wrote:

And re: Daidalos, this would work too, though it looks kinda like a chicken smile
http://i.imgur.com/cmERxSw.png

much better then the one in the blog.

now, what would a waspish torso on scarab legs with arkhe head look like? you know, we are missing at least two tiers of glider wink, and that one could be a VTOL config with medium missiles and a machinegun.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Line wrote:

That works too. Although we'd have a lot of robots with Sequer tracks already, but I could switch the Hermes to Termis tracks then, that's more proportionate to its chassis anyway.

Annihilator wrote:

can you make it have green shields?

Sure, but that would have to be a different kind of shield module smile

Annihilator wrote:

now, what would a waspish torso on scarab legs with arkhe head look like? you know, we are missing at least two tiers of glider wink, and that one could be a VTOL config with medium missiles and a machinegun.

I tried to attach the Scarab legs to anything, but unfortunately nothing covers it even halfway, and it looks bad with all the cables and stuff cut in the air and going nowhere.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Line wrote:

That works too. Although we'd have a lot of robots with Sequer tracks already, but I could switch the Hermes to Termis tracks then, that's more proportionate to its chassis anyway.

Yes, please. Tho there can't be too much sequer legs big_smile

This actually looks promising.

Please for the love of god don't release them all at once. One a month with a balance patch for the previous months robot gives you a years content and will build a population.

Also skills - add new skills making these something to log in and aim for rather than instant gratification.

And as an aside, add around month three or six a redo of the gun faction ammo. It sucks.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

+1

Jita wrote:

This actually looks promising.

Please for the love of god don't release them all at once. One a month with a balance patch for the previous months robot gives you a years content and will build a population.

Also skills - add new skills making these something to log in and aim for rather than instant gratification.

And as an aside, add around month three or six a redo of the gun faction ammo. It sucks.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I have not only picked what looks best, I have picked what WORKS. Not everything works together, sometimes modules clip into other parts of the robot, sometimes the connection of the head is not really compatible with the torso, and so on. That's why we scrapped the completely free hybrid robot concept in the first place.

No you scrapped it as you couldn't find a way to balance it.

I am Perpetuum.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

how do you balance Autocannon bonus against everything else? atm firearms are competitive without ANY bonus against the other ones - as seen in the popular MG Seth fit that can kill everything but walls (because dumb pilot)

I'll do some tests, but the most straightforward thing is probably to reduce either the damage modifier of the guns or the damage points in the ammo, and recompensate with machine gun robot bonuses.

How about making drawbacks for each current bot in the game (except industrials) for using machine gun type weapons?  A -bonus rof for each one equipped.  Maybe that will then encourage people to play their bots with their Race Specific weapons ...

Just saying ... its been and currently is freaking OP and something could be changed about it ...

Btw ... I noticed you declined the EP boost of players using Nexus only bots.  However, if I was to use a remote sensor amp on the combat pilot ... i'd get an EP gain.  Does a Nexus not count as a beneficial member of a Squad?  How about when mining?  The Hauler using Nexus for Fast Extract and Accumulator Recharge ...

Thoughts Mr. Dev. Zoom?

-Ensi

Ok, I get it Zoom.

People have been asking for "stuff" for, well forever.  Its never enough, its not right, this and that. 

Do this correctly.  Think past all this stuff, do it right, logically, and sensibly.   Your adding in a new "people did this" faction thinking it will get a boost of what you have.  This isn't needed.  Save this for later.  Build on the colors of what you have. 

Here is what you do, start out with the small things.  So lets pick the  Ikarus, and the Hermes.  These are logical.

The Ikarus is nian, and fills a roll that we need.  The Hermes is the New "faction" bot as its what we need to do stuff and explore.  So we made it to find those artifacts. 

Next is where we deviate from your plan, go to a roll that we need/want. 
Lets pick something small. Light Assault Ewar.
This is from the example above.

Fill all of those out with all the RBG colors and see what your player base does with them.  Fix OP where you need to and direct energy into it. 

Lets do another example.
Um...Let me see.  Light Expanse Bots.  Again were STARTING small.

These boni revolve around Damage, and Range, however are slower, and lower ROF using Medium Weapons.

Using are logic that we established from the earlier postings.
Red - Uses Prom Base, Blue Legs, Head is Green

What does this Mean.

Legs - Its the fastest as its using Blue Legs, and Blue Resists.
Torso - Uses Red Damage Baseline/Range Baselines.
Head - Uses Locking, Locking Range Baselines.

Now from here, as your using a logical progression, you can then tweak and balance what you need to.  Range really high on all of them across the board?  Whats the DPS look like, is it burst damage?  What type of damage, LOS filters into this as well.  Now take all to that stuff, and see what the sever is doing with it.  See how people are breaking them, then fix them.  This is should be done on a monthly cycle that everyone knows about. 

Example.
Introduction of new Bots.
2st Month - Small balance patch to ONLY new bots.
3nd Month - Do nothing.
4rd Month - See if patch is needed, if so do it WITHOUT saying so to the player base.
8th Month - See if final Patch is needed, Buff or Nerf as needed.

Wait, what if people get mad? Like the last time you did a balance patch?

I will say the last balance "thing" did have one positive outcome.  It changed the meta.  Doing these small patches changes the meta.  You break builds, you make players think and get off autopilot, this is GREAT for the game.  You piss people off when you do a wide brush approach, but when its small people can react faster, as you have less information for them to absorb.

Changing the meta makes things fresh again for older players, and newer ones have no clue whats going on so this isnt for them anyway, but they see the benefit from it.

Spelling and Grammer duh.

I am Perpetuum.

The new iteration of the
dirty eleven?:

http://pasteboard.co/7Hz0Rq8uc.png

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Perpetuum wrote:

Wall of text

Your main problem is that you think that robot parts are somehow linked with robot stats and attributes. But they are not, it's just 3D model. Stop thinking in that way.

Ensireka wrote:

Btw ... I noticed you declined the EP boost of players using Nexus only bots.  However, if I was to use a remote sensor amp on the combat pilot ... i'd get an EP gain.  Does a Nexus not count as a beneficial member of a Squad?  How about when mining?  The Hauler using Nexus for Fast Extract and Accumulator Recharge ...

The effect of Nexus modules are not targeted, they are broadcasted. As such we can't make a connection between the broadcaster and the receiver, so we could only provide EP based on the simple fact that you're running a Nexus module, even if noone is around.

Line wrote:
Perpetuum wrote:

Wall of text

Your main problem is that you think that robot parts are somehow linked with robot stats and attributes. But they are not, it's just 3D model. Stop thinking in that way.

Shockingly this isn't the problem.
It comes down to logical ways of thinking and game design.

When you look at Composite bots, or the original idea of making bots able to swap out parts, they were linked to each "part" as to say.

The problem in why this wasn't introduced is with the current boni, its extremely likely you would have major imbalances.  Hence, the scrapping of said idea!

The point I am attempting to make is simple.  Your boxing yourself into a corner attempting to make new content that were not quite ready for.   Making a entire new side in itself sounds great, but your adding in, and losing great potential down stream. 

Build on what you have first, in a logical systematic way.  So that future implementations of bots are easy, as you have your rule set in place.
I can go on, but this really isnt for the community at large, more so a personal referendum on the current changes, and what great impact they will have on PVP gameplay.  But, what little impact they will have on population.

I am Perpetuum.

Line wrote:
Perpetuum wrote:

Wall of text

good point.

its good that the devs have scraped ideas of the past, that would have never worked.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Perpetuum wrote:

Another wall of text

No matter how much effort they will put into planning and balancing, there will always be someone who thinks it's wrong and imba. So it's better to implement something new and then (if necessary) balance it.

Riveler Tracks + X + Y = Seraph
Is it possible? smile

Gekko wrote:

Riveler Tracks + X + Y = Seraph
Is it possible? smile

unless zoom manages to put the scarabs legs upside-down on some tracks big_smile

The first wave of robots is almost ready (3 of them), expect a blog next week and a patch shortly after.

That was sooner than I expected, awesome! big_smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

The first wave of robots is almost ready (3 of them), expect a blog next week and a patch shortly after.

Will they be spaced out a month a robot or are you releasing three at a time? Given that by the end of three months you've lost 80% of any influx I'm hoping every month. I'm also hoping you space out the good stuff and release the mediocre with one good.

Given the games history I'm thinking that I'll be wrong.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Spacing this out to 11 patches would be overkill already. They are coming in packs of 2 or 3.

Two every two months wouldn't be so bad. Give you guys a whole year to cook up the next years content.

Any thoughts on skills are releasing as a CT so the production people have something to do?

75 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2016-07-23 15:00:25)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Spacing this out to 11 patches would be overkill already. They are coming in packs of 2 or 3.

How often do you plan to release them? monthly? And also you planning to do like... 2 combats and one industrial per one patch? 1 and 1 for another and so on and so on or how? (Not asking for spoilers on which ones will be out, just curious if one patch will be more focused towards combats or industrials or 50/50 and all that.)

Reading this signature fills you with determination.