Topic: Last ditch effort

Please for the love of god dont let the game die sell it off to someone who will care about the health/state of the game.

2 (edited by Kayin Minor 2016-04-20 06:32:11)

Re: Last ditch effort

Oh oh oh!   let's speculate on valuation since that's where this has fallen apart on the past.

Normal valuation methods:
- Sales valuation:  1.5 * last year's sales
- Cash flow valuation:   last 5 years of cash flow to project cash growth and value based upon future cash reserves.

Since we can pretty much guarantee no investor would touch this with a 10 foot pole because there really isn't an acceptable model for earn back,  that leaves the open source option. 

I personally believe the community could raise the funds to actually buy the game from the devs (based on a reasonable valuation) and crowdfund it to success.   Of course, this all would require the community to get along long enough to do it.

A few givens:
- we would HAVE to do a complete wipe.
- The inevitable game engine debate will probably take most of the time.
- artwork?

A kickstarter to buy the game is an interesting idea.  But from what I've seen on these forums, getting along would be the hard part.  Who would own the server etc...

I would buy it if we are talking mid six figures

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

why the effort?

just start a kickstarter campaign for a game, write everything down you want to have in it, and search for coders to do it. The only point about "buying" this game is to buy the 3D assets.

since the grafics would need an upgrade anyway, even that would be pointless to aquire.

the backgroundstory of the game was pretty much mainstream scifi and is not ingame,
so making up a new one is a matter of a short brainstorming session and a few hours typing.

buying the name of the game? its still pretty unknown, so not much of a point either.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

It's crazy to invest in this game now, maybe 4-5 years ago, no problem.
It's not only the game that is suffering, is the change in shift of this particular age group of niche gamers that in the early 20s had all the time in the world to play now 10 years later they have little to no time at all (kids family etc) or they are burned out, and this sandbox niche is dying slow death. Eve has survived, but it's still struggling with this player shift.

RIP PERPETUUM

Annihilator wrote:

why the effort?

just start a kickstarter campaign for a game, write everything down you want to have in it, and search for coders to do it. The only point about "buying" this game is to buy the 3D assets.

since the grafics would need an upgrade anyway, even that would be pointless to aquire.

the backgroundstory of the game was pretty much mainstream scifi and is not ingame,
so making up a new one is a matter of a short brainstorming session and a few hours typing.

buying the name of the game? its still pretty unknown, so not much of a point either.

That's a good point. Althought now in my early 30's, I find these time based MMO's the way to play when I don't have much time.  I can log in once every few days and don't have to worry about not making max level in 3 days after release. 

The only issue with this and Eve is yes, the niche market.  Not alot of funding and the game is difficult to grasp initially.  New gamers today, those in their early 20's or even younger, want everything handed to them and can't even make it past the tutorial without refunding it on steam....which is bloody pathetic!  Not even an iota of effort was put in on their part.

8 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2016-05-10 00:57:11)

Why would anyone buy this game? The engine is old & custom built & in need of a overhaul.
As others have said it would be better to start fresh with a new game.
TBH any "mech" mmo would be a smash hit. I hardly have time to play games these days but even I would chip money into a kick start for a game like that smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

dont share your depression on Devs. all will be ok

Just @ Game

10 (edited by JetNexus 2016-05-10 18:35:49)

All of this is so boring.
Fix the playerbase, and use the General Chat. On all characters.
But...But...But... Don't care.
Most people just close the game when the chats are so dead. No matter new player or old.
Be useful, at least a little.

But yes, with the current course of events it won't change the trend, without such things as constant game improvement and marketing. This requires money, from kickstarter, bank loan, or forming a startup to start again with the new team(and some investments). Learn from the past mistakes and grow.
The current project will be a good start. Anounce a "beta" to warn about the time when everything can be changed to hell, and no need to wipe stuff, becase it'll give nothing good, but can be bad for reputation.

Although it won't be actually a "kickstarter", because the product is already launched, but there's anothergood thing instead: it'll show that you actually can and want to do something significant when the game have it's bad times. Rising and do things that should be done to make your business grow again. Unlike most of the other game developers who just allowing their games slowly die, squising the last proffits from it. Good thing to refer to later on smile

BadAss wrote:

More like its the cold hard facts smile If you cant face the honest facts of life then your in DEEEP sh*t

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
BadAss wrote:

More like its the cold hard facts smile If you cant face the honest facts of life then your in DEEEP sh*t

My wallet disagrees.
It got it's first billion from missions on Beta without being chased and griefed.
Less players = more proffit lol
I hope there won't be any news this month so i'll get a black bot and some T4+ stuff lol

Hm, this might be a good time to get friends into game. Too bad none of my friends playing MMOs and i don't want to look stupid telling i'm playing something smile

Broker wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
BadAss wrote:

My wallet disagrees.
It got it's first billion from missions on Beta without being chased and griefed.
I hope there won't be any news this month so i'll get a black bot and some T4+ stuff lol

Hm, this might be a good time to get friends into game. Too bad none of my friends playing MMOs and i don't want to look stupid telling i'm playing something smile

Go forth little one & enjoy smile

Broker wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
BadAss wrote:

My wallet disagrees.

Exactly what you should do during slow times.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Annihilator wrote:

why the effort?

You'll argue with this,  but eh.

The same reason people buy failing businesses and turn them around vs just starting a new one.  It's because most of the annoying legwork is already done and the business does - at some level - have some value even if it's failing or nearly dead.

For example Perp:
- already has distribution
- already has a hosting infrastructure
- already has a player base that WILL follow it
- already on steam
- already has a market history (i.e you can google and see battles on youtube or discussions on other game forums)
- already has been released (no need to go through early access, beta, etc all over again)
- is actually a proven product.  Contrast to star citizen for example.  The confidence that a user has that they will get a game in exchange for their money is high, even if it's a *** game.

While these things seem stupid because a complete rework will effect them, the fact of the matter is that you start from a different position than if you were to start new and that *could* make a difference.  Whether or not it would is irrelevant,  the fact that it could is the value add.  Especially when securing capital to purchase it. ;-)

-K

Kayin Prime wrote:

You'll argue with this,  but eh.

The same reason people buy failing businesses and turn them around vs just starting a new one.  It's because most of the annoying legwork is already done and the business does - at some level - have some value even if it's failing or nearly dead.

For example Perp:
- already has distribution
- already has a hosting infrastructure
- already has a player base that WILL follow it
- already on steam
- already has a market history (i.e you can google and see battles on youtube or discussions on other game forums)
- already has been released (no need to go through early access, beta, etc all over again)
- is actually a proven product.  Contrast to star citizen for example.  The confidence that a user has that they will get a game in exchange for their money is high, even if it's a *** game.

While these things seem stupid because a complete rework will effect them, the fact of the matter is that you start from a different position than if you were to start new and that *could* make a difference.  Whether or not it would is irrelevant,  the fact that it could is the value add.  Especially when securing capital to purchase it. ;-)

-K

true stuff,
but you also carry over the negative stuff equally. Hell, you even carry over fanbase and haters if you make a completely new game, but somehow get marked as "remake/clone" of this game.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear