1 (edited by Crepitus 2016-02-29 16:58:32)

Topic: Impressions of a returning vet - again.

So, I returned to the game this past week after a year+ hiatus and there have been many changes. Here is my opinion of the ones I've seen, read/heard about, and experienced:

The Good:
* Gamma is back in.
* Highways are everywhere so travel times are down a bit (though I still mostly autopilot myself so *shrug*, at least I have an option).
* The mission system has been redone - this one was sorely needed and I'm back to running transport missions where I started in 2011 because it's actually somewhat worth it now (although I still mourn the Golden Triangle).
* ICE is back in.
* Artifact hunting no longer requires a third party website/tool to be viable.
* Love the account upgrades. I have both on all but one of my accounts so far. It does stray close to the Pay2Win line but doesn't cross over because of it being limited to a 1 time purchase and not making it like $50 each or something and gives new players an option to be viable more quickly. I remember waiting around for months as a newbie for skills, especially just to get in to that new mech or whatever and it sucks.

The Bad:
* Spark teleport has been removed. I understand the issues and the highways help but I still can't help feel the loss of convenience especially for my industrial accounts. I would have preferred that everyone just receive the same amount and remove the skill say 2 or 3.
* Interzones have been nerfed to uselessness.
* Solo NPC farming has been nerfed to the point of uselessness thanks to the change in NPC aggro (which I knew was coming before I left last time but I'm still sad to see implemented) against support.
* Premium sub fee should be half what it is ($8/mo per account if you buy credits in $60 increments is high), I don't remember what it was before but I do remember getting year codes when the game was sub only that were like $5/mo.
* Nerf to all bot bonuses. This is pretty big (50% to 30% is a massive nerf) and it looks like it was somewhat compensated for by adding new extensions but not entirely. I'm not happy about this but at least it effects everyone equally.

The Ugly:
* The map layout is the worst thing I've ever seen in Perpetuum. Creating 2 choke points per color for Beta/Gamma, effectively walling off 1/3rd of the game each is just stupid. This, coupled with the nerf to interzones, highways to every entry, and the current probe mechanics it easily creates a situation worse than the spark teleports. The only reason this hasn't made PvP completely untenable is the lack of players.

One last thing. I've heard talk about RNG based "T5", I see the "requisition slips" in the Syndicate store. I do not like this trend towards gambling and RNG based stuff. It kills joy where ever it goes. I suggest you take a cold hard look at the wasteland of dead games who did not heed this. People don't like to work towards random they want a goal they can attain and be certain of the reward that follows.

**DISCLAIMER** As always, I speak only for myself; not my corp or any affiliates.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Re: Impressions of a returning vet - again.

Nice post I agree with most of it, just not spark teleport. Removal was necessary it was too powerful and game breaking, no way around that fact.

RIP PERPETUUM

Probes are terrible.  I took a few screenshots of hokk I was going to use for a future post.  There are 6 probes under a npc terminal and 3 at every other teleports.  Probes are terrible.  They need to be cut down to like 4 per Corp

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Probes are terrible.  I took a few screenshots of hokk I was going to use for a future post.  There are 6 probes under a npc terminal and 3 at every other teleports.  Probes are terrible.  They need to be cut down to like 4 per Corp

Do you just mash the keyboard with your head? There have never been six probes under the NPC terminal. Stop making things up for your partisan idiocy.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Oh your right there were 3 of them.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

6 (edited by Crepitus 2016-02-29 19:40:55)

Celebro wrote:

Nice post I agree with most of it, just not spark teleport. Removal was necessary it was too powerful and game breaking, no way around that fact.

Thanks, I would honestly be happy with it just being limited to Alpha. I'd have mine set a Tellesis/Hershfield/Shinjalar so I could do my market stuff. I see a common complaint of newbies being the *** state of the market and it is pretty bad.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

7 (edited by Line 2016-02-29 19:41:51)

Ville wrote:

Since when probekilling became too hard for you?

Probes are fine.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Crepitus wrote:

So, I returned to the game this past week after a year+ hiatus and there have been many changes. Here is my opinion of the ones I've seen, read/heard about, and experienced:

The Good:
* Gamma is back in.
* Highways are everywhere so travel times are down a bit (though I still mostly autopilot myself so *shrug*, at least I have an option).
* The mission system has been redone - this one was sorely needed and I'm back to running transport missions where I started in 2011 because it's actually somewhat worth it now (although I still mourn the Golden Triangle).
* ICE is back in.
* Artifact hunting no longer requires a third party website/tool to be viable.
* Love the account upgrades. I have both on all but one of my accounts so far. It does stray close to the Pay2Win line but doesn't cross over because of it being limited to a 1 time purchase and not making it like $50 each or something and gives new players an option to be viable more quickly. I remember waiting around for months as a newbie for skills, especially just to get in to that new mech or whatever and it sucks.

The Bad:
* Spark teleport has been removed. I understand the issues and the highways help but I still can't help feel the loss of convenience especially for my industrial accounts. I would have preferred that everyone just receive the same amount and remove the skill say 2 or 3.
* Interzones have been nerfed to uselessness.
* Solo NPC farming has been nerfed to the point of uselessness thanks to the change in NPC aggro (which I knew was coming before I left last time but I'm still sad to see implemented) against support.
* Premium sub fee should be half what it is ($8/mo per account if you buy credits in $60 increments is high), I don't remember what it was before but I do remember getting year codes when the game was sub only that were like $5/mo.
* Nerf to all bot bonuses. This is pretty big (50% to 30% is a massive nerf) and it looks like it was somewhat compensated for by adding new extensions but not entirely. I'm not happy about this but at least it effects everyone equally.

The Ugly:
* The map layout is the worst thing I've ever seen in Perpetuum. Creating 2 choke points per color for Beta/Gamma, effectively walling off 1/3rd of the game each is just stupid. This, coupled with the nerf to interzones, highways to every entry, and the current probe mechanics it easily creates a situation worse than the spark teleports. The only reason this hasn't made PvP completely untenable is the lack of players.

One last thing. I've heard talk about RNG based "T5", I see the "requisition slips" in the Syndicate store. I do not like this trend towards gambling and RNG based stuff. It kills joy where ever it goes. I suggest you take a cold hard look at the wasteland of dead games who did not heed this. People don't like to work towards random they want a goal they can attain and be certain of the reward that follows.

**DISCLAIMER** As always, I speak only for myself; not my corp or any affiliates.

+100 to the marked phrase, yet for a different reason wink
your corp mates may disagree about how equal the nerf of bot bonuses was for all colors, but strangely enough, the fleet compositions since that balance patch have been more tactical then before. though, fleet-fights are almost always heavy mechs. The Balancing failed there a bit.

and soon*, it will be black heavy

*hungarian soon

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Line wrote:
Ville wrote:

Probes are fine.

Probe killing is easy. Its listening to you after that's the difficult part.

Aye Pod wrote:
Line wrote:
Ville wrote:

Probes are fine.

Probe killing is easy. Its listening to you after that's the difficult part.

Looking at all that Ville's whine about "10 probes are too much" I'm starting to think that probes overblobbed you guys.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I agree with all you have posted Crepitus. It is even more stupid that the TP'S for travel to Norhoop can be covered by one castel, making it even easier to monitor who goes on and off.

While the tp system may look symmetrical or simple for travel from Alpha to beta and then beta2, it makes for poor gameplay, restricting access and unneeded choke points.

Probes should be time limited and able to be placed around stations or teleports.

Largely agree but not about sparks or interzones. Interzones are still useful - we use them regularly. Sparks is a pain but it has made the game harder to traverse and so bigger which is good.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Rynikwiz wrote:

While the tp system may look symmetrical or simple for travel from Alpha to beta and then beta2, it makes for poor gameplay, restricting access and unneeded choke points.

You gotta admit it was some BS when you could jump from alpha 2 > Beta 2 > Gamma 2 without even moving from a teleport.  Access to Rhao was WAY too *** easy.

Rovoc wrote:

You gotta admit it was some BS when you could jump from alpha 2 > Beta 2 > Gamma 2 without even moving from a teleport.  Access to Rhao was WAY too *** easy.

whats bad about "easy access" to islands? especially gamma 1 islands

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

And you gotta admit, sitting one character (you know who) in between oxnair 111 and oxnair 11 monitors all who entered norhoop and then Alsbale etc.

And 2 characters can cut off access to Hokk, Kent and Gamma (without the use of a iz).

Poor game design

And I dont agree with the Rhao comment. Im saying the whole basis of inter-island access is BS. It does not help roaming, pvp, ninja mining and ninja sap.

There should be more access points into islands. Hell I think there should  many more islands.

Crepitus wrote:

The Bad:
* Spark teleport has been removed.

this is the best change of all time.

Just @ Game

17 (edited by Hunter 2016-03-03 04:41:42)

Crepitus wrote:

The Bad:

Yes, you can't teleport a whole alliance to kill somebody under terminal. And this obviously bad for you. But you shall not.

Crepitus wrote:

I think you need to investigate it better.

Crepitus wrote:

Problems with money? Play free. It's possible in perpetuum. Moreover you can buy it for NIC.

Crepitus wrote:

Less damage, less impenetrable shields, out of imbalanced zeniths... well maybe it bring more fun in the game and make another bots more usable?

Crepitus wrote:

The Ugly:

Spark, spark, spark. This is not teleport network layot or spark problem. That all your habbits. I think.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Crepitus wrote:

+1 to this. With the cost of the base game being $9.99 US, IMO the cost to boost shouldnt be the same. I think the sweet spot for 2400 credits/ICE is $7.99 US. Sales should never take this cost below $5.00 (except steam) so that means that when sales do happen they should never be blanket percentage discounts.

19 (edited by Goffer 2016-03-04 08:22:33)

Hunter wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

The Bad:

Yes, you can't teleport a whole alliance to kill somebody under terminal. And this obviously bad for you. But you shall not.

The spark mechanism to beta did a lot bad things. But the missing spark between alphas and especially alpha and gamma is one out of three reasons, why you see empty markets or have to pay ridiculous high prices for stuff.

The flaw is, that if you allow for producer/seller to spark, you cannot prevent combat pilots to spark as well.

Goffer wrote:
Hunter wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

The Bad:

The spark mechanism to beta did a lot bad things. But the missing spark between alphas and especially alpha and gamma is one out of three reasons, why you see empty markets or have to pay ridiculous high prices for stuff.

The flaw is, that if you allow for producer/seller to spark, you cannot prevent combat pilots to spark as well.

What absolute horse ***. The markets are expensive because Joke engineered it that way due to missions emptying the economy as nic flooded the game. We built a baseline of goods high enough priced so that they couldn't be cleared out on mass so that prices rose and people were encouraged to undercut. Now for the first time in years you can buy every module you need on the market which was one of the key problems in the game that new people fed back.

When we started Joke had over a hundred billion on the market with every t2 - t4 module in the game as well as significant bot and mech stocks. It comprised 99% of the market. As prices have risen and more sellers take advantage of that we are bow closer to 60% and the market is working better than I can remember.

The third element was in encouraging NIC sinks in the game, the mission changes alongside the token shop now provide real sinks with missions raising half the money needed to use the tokens you create. This again has revitalised the mineral market as people find other methods to make NIC to supplement their token purchases. I still don't think the balance is right but its a hundred times better for the game (if not the individual) than before.

Jita wrote:

(Exaggeration)

Yeah well mine is 13 in.........