1 (edited by Goffer 2016-11-09 10:12:45)

Topic: Bginner Mining Guide

1. Scope
This guide is for new player who wish to perform mining or harvesting.
It is up to date for Perpetuum Patch 3.8.2, any later patch notes should be checked for changes

Welcome Resourcedigger you are the heart of Nias infrastructure, a job seldom loved, but always needed.

If you like to have a good living as pure Miner or Harvester you need to understand also some market mechanism, that are therefore briefly explained here.

2. Raw Materials
See http://wiki.perpetuum-online.com/index. … _Materials for more information about raw materials
Each Raw Material has its own speciality when it comes to amount/time.

3. Search Field
Searching for a mining field requires a Geoscanner and directional scan (optional tile scan for field quality). It is best performed with a fast bot containing only LWF and Geoscanner. For Liquids, you best take one tile and write its position down, this allows you to mine it without Geoscanner equipped on Miner.

Plants can be seen when walking around. If you select a plant, and check in Window "Landmark Information" if it is harvestable, it's name is repeated in yellow followed by '(' <number> ')'. The number tells how many cycles are left before plant is gone.

4. Field Container
A field container is activated from cargo and than fixed on the ground, it has a 4 digit key and can be accessed by everyone in your squad, or who knows the key (guess in 3 tries, or get it told by you). The container holds unlimited amount and will be vanish 1 hour after the last agent is closing it. This means you can virtually mine forever in the same container. A container can be accessed from 100m range.
Mining requires a field container placed strategically on the field. You fill container every few minutes from bot cargo and haul afterwards.
Harvest with mech requires more movement than mining. In a most areas, you need several container distributed around, or can skip container at all.

5. Equipment
It is wise to use the following Equipment first on T4 level: LWF,  Accu Recharger, Indu Tunings.
5.1 Geoscan
Fast bot (Argano or Light Ewar), Geoscan and Light Weight Frame (LWF)

5.2 Mining
Mining is accu related, as you want to have the accu always above 50% when mining, else you will come to the point your modules stop working.

The more indu tunings you use, the more accu you need.

For every fit you want to have a Geoscanner and find a balance between Indu tunings and Miner Modules to keep your capacitor stable. To achive this you should using an accu recharger in every leg slot.

The Argano is received for free for industrial agents, and should be replaced by Riveler as fast as possible. You can think about using a Termis intermediate to get the NIC needed for the Riveler faster.

5.3 Harvesting
The fitting for harvesting is at the moment similar as mining, but you can consider to change the number of indu tunings to max head slot and stop the harvest  modules always when your energy falls below 50% this leads to the fact that you need a lot micor management, but get far more resolurce from plants and therefore need less movement / can harvest more resource from same field in similar time

7 Hauling
After mining you need to bring the content of your field container home. This is best performed with a dedicated bot like Sequer. So the purchase of a Sequer is one of your first steps.

8. Spend EP

In any case you need to see, that a skill reducing cycle time increases amount of Min/time, but also increases accu requirements so spending too much EP in that extensions contradicts the need to keep accu stable. It is necessary to balance this well. As you have no experience when reading this guide I suggest to skip those extensions.

9. Market
Market is mainly driven by demand and offer. Beside the public visible market, every player corp has its internal market. This leads to market modifications that are not always obvious.
The main demand from production view exists for Titan, HdT and Liquizid. 
The offer for Alpha-Liquids is very high due to the fact that is easy to mine them without activity (Sequer, Scarab placed on field for 12-24h)
The effort to harvest plants is very high and harvest scales worst from light bot to Heavy Mech, this makes its price rather high, but demand is limited, therefore the price can get very volatile, if too much offer is available.

Epitron is dangerous to mine and requires more effort to haul, that effects mainly its price.
Colixium and Noralgis have a high investment needed to gain them.

If you consider the risk of loosing Bots on Beta/Gamma as Invest together with mining charge, the best ratio of NIC vs Time and Invest is often gained by Titanium.

2 (edited by Khader Khan 2015-11-08 16:54:04)

Re: Bginner Mining Guide

Nice work Goffer

Please edit the follow big_smile

5.3 Harvesting

Gargoyl: 4 Medium Harvest Modules, LWF, 3 Accu Recharger, 4 Tunings
Symbiont: 5 Medium Harvest Modules, LWF, 4 Accu Recharger, 5 Tunings

Also as stated harvesting has more movement involved I used Accu expander and got good results when I was lower EP

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Thank for the hint, fixed it.

Well done Goffer. A great effort.

Thanks.
I've thought there's only HDT and Titan on Alpha big_smile

Thank you for the guide, it was very helpful.

The only modification I would make is to note that us newbies dont have any money to buy an Argano from the start. I only have a Promethius and Baphomet from completing the tutorial and after about 6 quests i barely had about 100k NIC which I used for a standard geoscanner, and a bunch of charges. Your guide helped by reminding me what charges I needed so that was a + and I did learn about those other upgrade parts that I didnt know about. I also figured out the differences between scanners and such. I think the next step is to get an argano so I need to save about 300k.

I did notice that ore orders are super cheap on the market or was just in the area that I am in? so I am still not sure how to make money yet. I assume we need to refine them and then sell. I also found some strange stuff while mining like titan-50 (PL-10) and ilmenite. I figured out that the first is just a rare form of titan but there is nothing on the market about ilmenite.

Thanks again.

Grendizer wrote:

Thank you for the guide, it was very helpful.

The only modification I would make is to note that us newbies dont have any money to buy an Argano from the start. I only have a Promethius and Baphomet from completing the tutorial and after about 6 quests i barely had about 100k NIC which I used for a standard geoscanner, and a bunch of charges. Your guide helped by reminding me what charges I needed so that was a + and I did learn about those other upgrade parts that I didnt know about. I also figured out the differences between scanners and such. I think the next step is to get an argano so I need to save about 300k.

I did notice that ore orders are super cheap on the market or was just in the area that I am in? so I am still not sure how to make money yet. I assume we need to refine them and then sell. I also found some strange stuff while mining like titan-50 (PL-10) and ilmenite. I figured out that the first is just a rare form of titan but there is nothing on the market about ilmenite.

Thanks again.

no, minerals are just not that much worth at this moment. 
refining them on your own with low standing and low extension points will lower your income even more.

the extra stuff you get, can be recycled into the stuff you where mining, and sometimes into others (like you get epriton isotopes while mining liquizit or titan ore)

when you want to mine for the market, compare how much you get per cycle with how much they offer you per piece on the market.
its VERY missleading if you look just at the market alone.
eg. HDT and Lquizit price often make new player think its more lucrative to go after the liquizit - but when you consider that you get 1500*bonus HDT per cycle, and only 450*bonus Liquizit, you will see the truth.

but that aside... its more lucrative to run mission for income

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

8 (edited by Grendizer 2016-01-25 02:43:35)

Annihilator wrote:

no, minerals are just not that much worth at this moment. 
refining them on your own with low standing and low extension points will lower your income even more.

the extra stuff you get, can be recycled into the stuff you where mining, and sometimes into others (like you get epriton isotopes while mining liquizit or titan ore)

when you want to mine for the market, compare how much you get per cycle with how much they offer you per piece on the market.
its VERY missleading if you look just at the market alone.
eg. HDT and Lquizit price often make new player think its more lucrative to go after the liquizit - but when you consider that you get 1500*bonus HDT per cycle, and only 450*bonus Liquizit, you will see the truth.

but that aside... its more lucrative to run mission for income

Thanks for the insight. I figured out the problem with refining when the gui stated that my 150k ores can only make 1500 titanium. It became clear that selling the ore was better at this time.

The problem I have with missions is my own time. I have to be afk often (new baby) so I want some means of making income while doing other things. Mining is a perfect alternative. I just need to figure out how to make it lucrative. I did manage to find a better zone to sell my ores at so right now I am making about 250k nic per run. its actually faster than level 1 missions if you take out the loot. I am also not counting the rare ores which I am keeping for now but seem to sell pretty well. I just need a bigger rig. I should be able to buy a new bot after my current mining run so lets see how that goes.

How safe is it to mine around Shinjalar?

Edit: ARRGGGG I bought an Argano only to find out I need 405k to get industrial robot control 1 lol

Pro new player tip - buy a sequel, put a miner on it and leave it on a liquid mining spot all night. Free money.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

Pro new player tip - buy a sequel, put a miner on it and leave it on a liquid mining spot all night. Free money.

LoL i wish... 70U cargo is awesome. But I have 480 EP's left and I need

Basic Robot: 1200 EP
Industrial Robot Control 2, 3, 4: I have no idea how much those cost...

It will probably take me a week to get enough EP's just for that. That said, my new Argano is awesome compared to my old rig.

11 (edited by Goffer 2016-01-25 07:39:57)

The guide assumes you are a new industrial corp player.
In your special case ceate a second agent on same account or new account, start industrial.
In that case you start with Argano and Sequer instead of Prometeus and Baphomet. And have also the extensions already to use those bots. In general that is not best idea, and you will need a week to get those 10k EP your missing today.

For mineral price: an Argano cargo load of Titan is not much worth but should still 300k, but you should see, that an industrial starter fills his Argano in rather short time, empty it in can and continue mining

12 (edited by Grendizer 2016-01-25 19:32:52)

Goffer wrote:

In your special case ceate a second agent on same account or new account, start industrial.
In that case you start with Argano and Sequer instead of Prometeus and Baphomet. And have also the extensions already to use those bots. In general that is not best idea, and you will need a week to get those 10k EP your missing today.

For mineral price: an Argano cargo load of Titan is not much worth but should still 300k, but you should see, that an industrial starter fills his Argano in rather short time, empty it in can and continue mining

I completely forgot that you can start as industrial lol. Oh well. Live and learn.

I am testing the markets to see if I can sell them for more. I have titan ore set to about 3 nic to see if it will move. Of course the big problem is population so I am not sure what will happen.

This game needs some help getting more players online. I started a robot table because I couldnt find an updated one and the one on the wiki is not very useful since you need to load each bot separately to compare them. Zortargs guide is amazing but it also does not list bot specifications.

http://www.gametangents.com/perpetuum-r … readsheet/

I am still working on it but here you can see it is coming along nicely. You can press the + button to see details about turret compatibility, and robot bonuses.

Grendizer wrote:
Goffer wrote:

I completely forgot that you can start as industrial lol. Oh well. Live and learn.

I am testing the markets to see if I can sell them for more. I have titan ore set to about 3 nic to see if it will move. Of course the big problem is population so I am not sure what will happen.

This game needs some help getting more players online. I started a robot table because I couldnt find an updated one and the one on the wiki is not very useful since you need to load each bot separately to compare them. Zortargs guide is amazing but it also does not list bot specifications.

I am still working on it but here you can see it is coming along nicely. You can press the + button to see details about turret compatibility, and robot bonuses.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Robots

RIP PERPETUUM

Grendizer wrote:

... But I have 480 EP's left and I need ...

Do you spend all your 40.000 starter EP's ?.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Celebro wrote:
Grendizer wrote:
Goffer wrote:

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Robots

Yea I saw that too. But I wanted it in table form. If you look at mine, you can search and sort them which makes it much easier to compare robots.

Galaxy Drones wrote:
Grendizer wrote:

... But I have 480 EP's left and I need ...

Do you spend all your 40.000 starter EP's ?.

40,000? No I only got 1440 at the start. Im sitting on 1920 right now.

Your supposed to start with 40k EP.  Did you not start with such?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

17 (edited by Grendizer 2016-01-26 01:10:43)

Ville wrote:

Your supposed to start with 40k EP.  Did you not start with such?

No, I had 1440 (or thereabout) when I began. I barely assigned two skills before I was down to about 1000EP.

There were a bunch of skills already assigned for me... but I cant undo those without some sort of "credits" and I dont have any of those.

Checking EP history here is what I have:

Industrial Robot Control 1: -540
Reactor Expansion 4: -240
Reactor Expansion 3: -180
--------------------------------------
total spent = 960

After that, I have 1920 as of right now. Is this incorrect?

is that and alt agent on the same account as your main?
because, you know, they share the same pool...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

19 (edited by Grendizer 2016-01-26 01:50:40)

Annihilator wrote:

is that and alt agent on the same account as your main?
because, you know, they share the same pool...

nope, i just started 2 nights ago. I have no alts.

Now that I think about... it is a bit strange that they give you a Baphomet but you cant even drive it for another 4-5 days lol. And only if you invest all the points into Thelodica robot control and basic robotics...

EDIT: Ok Vile helped me figure out that there was a gift that I had not opened lol. Inside was 40k EP, 200 credits, and a T4 demobilizer.

I would have never figure all that out if you guys didnt point it out. Thanks!
Now I need to ponder how to use all that EP!

Update to patch 3.8.2, but fitting will need some more testing, as with the new tuning rule, it is not easy to say if it is better to use more small modules and tunings or more med modules and less tunings