Re: Observers on beta and gamma travelling too fast

Well I didn't find any bug but the beta mech observers (Kain, Artemis, Tyrannos) do have a 1.6x speed modifier which makes their max speed about 159 kph. But this has been like this since they appeared in the game so I'm a bit confused.

The only thing I can think of is that the mentioned modifier did never work, and only started to work in one of the recent patches.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Well I didn't find any bug but the beta mech observers (Kain, Artemis, Tyrannos) do have a 1.6x speed modifier which makes their max speed about 159 kph. But this has been like this since they appeared in the game so I'm a bit confused.

even if they had that speed modifier, shouldn't that be lowered by the mass of their equipment?
or did anything change about their roaming script (as in them not running at max speed before)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

One part of this problem is there since the balance patch last year, now an mech or HM can be very fast compared to an hauler.

But several other factors determine the speed a caravan closes up.

If you observe a caravan NPC group passing by, you could notice, that usually none of them moves straight line with full speed. The larger the group, the more obstacles on terrain the more they have a zigzag course. This zigzaging allows you to be faster on long term and only if they sprint towards you, you loose. This changed in my feeling since 3.7.1 patch on gamma to be less zigzag. I assume that your modification of terrain blocking has this side effect.

Before the  3.7. patch, the island layout on beta had several implications on the Obs way that lead to the fact that you could easier get out of their way.

All these points summed up lead to an overall increased problem where we had no problem one year before and now step by step unless it feels like a problem as the moment you see obs on your radar might be the moment you already lost your bot. If you move with half the speed of them you can only escape if you manage to move sideways out of their path for more then ~400m in the time they close in.

Annihilator wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

even if they had that speed modifier, shouldn't that be lowered by the mass of their equipment?
or did anything change about their roaming script (as in them not running at max speed before)

It is lowered. An Artemis with that equipment has normally 99 kph top speed (includes an LWF). Multiply that with 1.6.

These speed modifiers will be removed btw, observers have enough other modifiers to make them stronger than normal NPCs.

DEV Zoom wrote:

These speed modifiers will be removed btw, observers have enough other modifiers to make them stronger than normal NPCs.

will that also bring back grand observers on alpha ?

noone would mind a roaming observer yagel or arbalest here and there wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

DEV Zoom wrote:

I agree with this Zoom, sounds fair

SunnyJester wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

sure you do, because that means almost everything can then simply run away from them, or keep save distance.

Annihilator wrote:

sure you do, because that means almost everything can then simply run away from them, or keep save distance.

Which is bad how?

Annihilator wrote:
SunnyJester wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Because I have ball enough to bring something other than a castel with a velocity nexus and LWF out to gamma when I am by myself?

SunnyJester wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
SunnyJester wrote:

Because I have ball enough to bring something other than a castel with a velocity nexus and LWF out to gamma when I am by myself?

when i moved something else, i got interdicted at the alpha-beta gate... also, i went out in a prometheus and killed stuff wink. the castel was something i had already out there in a terminal.

observers have been implemented as a threat. if the threat moves slower then anything else, its not threat anymore, unless they make them less predictable and scripted (like moving on a fixed patrol path)

so
Zoom, you said you're aiming for next week with the observer patch.

is that actually only the removal of their speed bonus, or an actual fix to the bug that makes them run with ~200kph sometimes?
i mean, we just had encounter with two observer kains that had a reasonable speed (eventually the intended one) during the combat, but when they lost aggro on us, the have charged away with such an increadible speed

Annihilator wrote:

whats the problem with "high-threat"-NPCs posing a... threat ?
maybe you should try diplomacy, i heard that works pretty well fuuu

do i need to file a bug report next time a NSE mech closes in it at my fully fit prometheus?

?  Zoom, I think the NPCs are working great!  Keep them as is!  We need danger!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

You need.... Stranger .. Danger? 

Thank you I'll be here all night.

oh, ville -
Observers are actually more fun to fight then you guys. even though they are cheating more...

i'm just asking if they are fixing the real bug, or just putting a band-aid on it, that will cause a serious infection after a while because it was forgotten and has already been encovered with a thick skin.

and, i still believe the DEVs hav implemented an exclusive script to spawn more roaming NPCs when player "Ville" or any of his alts is logged in...
In the past years, i haven't seen that many roaming spawns as i do now on kraslovsk. CIR and PHM owned outposts are always defended by NPCs.

Annihilator wrote:

oh, ville -
Observers are actually more fun to fight then you guys. even though they are cheating more...

i'm just asking if they are fixing the real bug, or just putting a band-aid on it, that will cause a serious infection after a while because it was forgotten and has already been encovered with a thick skin.

and, i still believe the DEVs hav implemented an exclusive script to spawn more roaming NPCs when player "Ville" or any of his alts is logged in...
In the past years, i haven't seen that many roaming spawns as i do now on kraslovsk. CIR and PHM owned outposts are always defended by NPCs.

Quoting the most embarrassing post of 2016. Mad cos your bad.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

how can it be the most embarrassing post of this year, when the year has only started.

and please highlight what you mean tongue

Ville wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

whats the problem with "high-threat"-NPCs posing a... threat ?
maybe you should try diplomacy, i heard that works pretty well fuuu

do i need to file a bug report next time a NSE mech closes in it at my fully fit prometheus?

When you suffer from them, you will whine louder. smile

@Zoom, today I had Thel observers agress me on Gamma and walk through impassable terrain to come attack me and once it de-agroed ran back through a different impassable terrain to return to its path. So I tested this issue and agroed an observer and walled it in, once it de-agroed, it ran through a wall to return to its path.  Please check their pathing abilities too.

Zoom, when you start paying us for what we play this game? lol