Topic: Sound effect when agents or NPC become visible

Could we have some feature which would make a sound to alter the player to pay attentin on whether they want to avoid potential danger?

The locking sound effect is very proper but it is not much use to alert a player not actively paying attentino to the game in time.

I realise this might make avoiding red NPCs too trivial. I dont' care if I have to equip a module to benefit from it. Maybe it could be made piggyback on the detection module?

I would make it like configurable tot he radar range marker. Have toggels for orange and red NPCs and a relation setting for agents.

Re: Sound effect when agents or NPC become visible

Rolafen Azec wrote:

Could we have some feature which would make a sound to alter the player to pay attentin on whether they want to avoid potential danger?

The locking sound effect is very proper but it is not much use to alert a player not actively paying attentino to the game in time.

I realise this might make avoiding red NPCs too trivial. I dont' care if I have to equip a module to benefit from it. Maybe it could be made piggyback on the detection module?

I would make it like configurable tot he radar range marker. Have toggels for orange and red NPCs and a relation setting for agents.

I dont think there is anything wrong with an alert to anything red in your radar range but i'm a bit worried about how that might impact macro's / afk miners

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

maybe you should ask which macro programm was used by certain players that can do that by pixel color detection.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

maybe you should ask which macro programm was used by certain players that can do that by pixel color detection.

That would be like trying to find a single one in a bowl of peanuts!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

That would be like trying to find a single one in a bowl of peanuts!

Hehe that one was good.

while custom interface dsigners will come up with all kinds of permitted and non-permitted helps I would think this is a functionality that the vanilla interface could provide. It does raise the issue if reds are supposed to be hinderance what kind of hinderance there is intention to be. If the intention is that you have to path around or stop to wait for the path to clear to increase travel time that would be fine. But if the idea is that travel requires attention every 30 seconds to be bot loss risk free from reds then it would prevent a lot of players just walking into reds because they didn't notice them. While completely unseupervised travel AI migth be undesirable I do think that being semi-afk in the sense of being ready to take contorl at a moments notice would be sufficient tending.

-1 this will promote afk-gate scouts. If you want to play, be active and watch your monitor. Otherwise there is a nice indicator of hostile action, quickly followed by more powerful gunsounds smile

AFK or people not paying attention deserve to die on beta.

well, once the PvE revamp is finished,
im totally ok with it. Having a really subtle sound connected to certain HUD-icons showing up on screen,
together with some animated effects on radar.

hell, i can't wait to see what the new interface will make possible. tongue

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

-1, no care bear ***

I am in a situation that I have the game open on the other screen and check up on it every 5 or 10 minutes. However this results in some bots just simply being lost. While I can live with the mechanics as they are I know a lot more people are way more afraid of death.

Its also that the red packs are quite dense. This results in them not taking that much space so it become more hit and miss whether you ran into them or not. And if you do run into them its not like only 1 locks you but several at once. And usually one of them has a demob. I could imagine that having your bot wear down by losing only a fraction of health on each "collision" could be more desirable.

Also there is a big attention assymmetry when it comes to haulers vs gankers. A ganker needs to pay attention only one gank trip. A hauler typically makes only a fraction of the value of their cargo and spends a lot more on the road than any bandits. If you have a loss rate of 1 bot per 10 trips and you make only a tenth of your cargo value each trip (10% profit rate is quite optimistic) you only break even.

It is also pretty stupid looking when the dreadded posibility of a hauler and a bandit meeting in the field results in the bandit shooting the hauler to death without the hauler reacting or noticing. Given that it's a pretty rare occasion having it be more dramatic could easily be more fun.

Well atleast I can take solace that if things say this way and reds come to alpha the same issue will present regarding alpha2s making transporting actually cost a damn thing.

Rolafen Azec wrote:

I am in a situation that I have the game open on the other screen and check up on it every 5 or 10 minutes. However this results in some bots just simply being lost.

You should check up on it more often.

Rolafen Azec wrote:

Also there is a big attention assymmetry when it comes to haulers vs gankers. A ganker needs to pay attention only one gank trip. A hauler typically makes only a fraction of the value of their cargo and spends a lot more on the road than any bandits. If you have a loss rate of 1 bot per 10 trips and you make only a tenth of your cargo value each trip (10% profit rate is quite optimistic) you only break even.

If a ganker sees you, a warning sound won't help. Either you avoid him by planning smart and using help of other people (scouts), or you will get ganked anyway, with or without a scout.

Rolafen Azec wrote:

It is also pretty stupid looking when the dreadded posibility of a hauler and a bandit meeting in the field results in the bandit shooting the hauler to death without the hauler reacting or noticing. Given that it's a pretty rare occasion having it be more dramatic could easily be more fun.

If you look at the screen and PLAY the game, instead of going afk, you will be able to react.

A game is meant to be played, if you do not like the profession you are doing ingame, look for a different profession that you enjoy.

Even if I haul a lot more than gank (I don't think I've ever made it onto a transport killmail), I am 100% against this measure.

I have lost many bots to auto path and reds. But, still -1 to this. You need to play the game or suffer the consequences.

Khetar wrote:
Rolafen Azec wrote:

I am in a situation that I have the game open on the other screen and check up on it every 5 or 10 minutes. However this results in some bots just simply being lost.

You should check up on it more often.

The exact level on what checking levels provides which level of security would be an interesting discussion. If you check on it once every vision range travelled that is still quite a lot of checking. For example miners are not subject to that level of attention bullying unlike in certainanother game where you need to more often change your mining target.

Khetar wrote:
Rolafen Azec wrote:

If a ganker sees you, a warning sound won't help. Either you avoid him by planning smart and using help of other people (scouts), or you will get ganked anyway, with or without a scout.

I am not asking for any of those factors to be messed with. I want those to be the main safety factors. However now they are pretty irrelevant. I am not intending to this to signficantly help against human danger factors (althought it makes it harder to ninja up to people).