Topic: Crash uploader - how to check that it does its job

Battling game instability I have been referred a lot on to let a crash uploader to do its job so the devs know what they can try to fix. Sometimes when the game becomes unresponcive the main cocern is to reestablish the control to the agent (ie reconnect). However it seems that even when I let it crash "slowly" in a terribly controled way.

So what player behaviours can mess up the functionality of uploading crashes? Can I somehow check which crashes have been succesfully uploaded or not?

There are 2 big ways that perpetuum crashes for me. One is screen becoming totally unresponcive (freeze) and then turning a ligther shade as a pop-up window with "Perpetuum is not responding. Windows is checking whether the problem can be recovered from" with an indefinite progress bar and a cancel button. Soon this turns into "The program was stopped by an error" with "close program" button. Is this a controlled way of crashing or would the uploader itself crashing look also like this?

The second is having a "Visual C++ error" with "ok" which when pressed makes the program disappear and if not pressed in a midish amount of time leadds to before mentioned traditional crash.

I tried to look throught my firewall settings on whether I have blocked something relevant but nothing that would ring a bell hit my eye.

Re: Crash uploader - how to check that it does its job

Unfortunately neither case can give us useful information about the crash, unless it's consistent and reproducible.

The only time when we get useful crash info is when a "normal" crash happens, that is when you see a "Perpetuum crash recovery" window with an upload progress bar.

well its scattered enough that it doesn't really form any good description profile. It seems to happen more when I do some sort of action like open map, enter terminal. But then it happens also when just being idle on the field or just sitting inside terminal.

It is so that I have not had it crash "in a nice way" almost ever, enough so that I don't have a mental image how that would look like. So maybe I have in addition to something making crashes happen a bug of the game not crashing correctly?

The problem is when the game "doesn't crash correctly", it's either due to an external factor that we have no control over (OS, external library, hardware, etc.), or it's unable to tell you that it crashed because it already froze to hell before that.

5 (edited by Celebro 2015-12-10 17:37:48)

I've had bad experiences with anti-virus software and Perpetuum and other software. May I suggest to close or remove all software running in the background some are known to cause problems with some games.

There is really no need to use an anti-virus , windows defender does a good job or just be careful of anything you click or install on your system.

RIP PERPETUUM