Re: Rework mining

My argument is that mining in the game takes too long and should either be:

a) Fully passive - Deployable mining towers that need to be fueled/emptied by player, can be plundered or destroyed by other players
b) Be much faster - instead of taking 4-5 hours to drain a field, it should take ~30 minutes tops to clear a field.

Bottom line being the mining aspect of the game is too slow, takes forever to get anywhere and the game forces you to do it to get anywhere.

52 (edited by Celebro 2015-11-03 17:55:26)

Naismith wrote:

a) Fully passive - Deployable mining towers that need to be fueled/emptied by player, can be plundered or destroyed by other players
b) Be much faster - instead of taking 4-5 hours to drain a field, it should take ~30 minutes tops to clear a field.

Bottom line being the mining aspect of the game is too slow, takes forever to get anywhere and the game forces you to do it to get anywhere.

b) People who mine for NIC (new miners do this yes) will see lower prices with mining speed increased therefore to get the same amount of value out of it they would need to mine for the same time. Once we reach an extraction speed, it then becomes  'hauling online' where new players with Sequers might have issues ie tedious hauling. Not saying it can't be done, it's just that some aspects might be overlooked.

a) I don' mind that as long as it is pvp area only, then again it should really be like 10 times slower than normal mining if not the profession will be destroyed.

RIP PERPETUUM

Naismith wrote:

Mining shouldn't ever be passive. I like mining but the mechanic in Perpetuum for seeking and extracting is a bit clunky and isn't much fun. There's only so much you can do to make resource gathering fun in any game but it can be done to some extent.

I wonder whether you only feel that the game forces you to do it because there is no-one else to do it for you, put the fruits of their labour on the market so you can then buy it with NIC from more fun activities. Provide incentive for noobs to mine and most of your problem goes away.

Ludlow, have you tried mining titan recently?

mining is something you either do for missions (single account)
or with 2+ accounts in t4 rivelers (mk2) with dedicated accounts for corp production.

i don't see how any1 is mining for selling the mined stuff on the market for profit.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

56 (edited by Naismith 2015-11-03 20:44:22)

Fannyhilator, have you tried mining titan with 2+ accounts in T4 Riveler Mk2's recently?

57 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2015-11-04 10:20:48)

Naismith wrote:

Ludlow, have you tried mining titan recently?

Yes, I do it with 2 Rivelers - one maxed and one with a tuner swapped for nexus.

It was always intense but manageable and since the infamous balancing patch (I presume why you said 'recently') it is more intense but still manageable. If fields had fewer tiles but same ore quantity it would be one way of making it more enjoyable.

This bug (Link) still exists and is the thing which makes maxed out Titan mining really infuriating - timely target switching is key and this bug makes it pointlessly difficult.

We're talking about hours and hours of mining here, hotswapping targets very frequently. Note that we're doing it in more or less maxxed pilots, in Riveler Mk2s.

Here's my conundrum - How long does it take to mine a quantity of Titan (a common, basic ore) that is "relevant" for the purposes of producing something?

Meaning, how long does it take for a newbie that just got started to mine a quantity of Titan that would get him anywhere? NIC-wise, a newbie would be better off doing missions?

What if a new corp forms in the game, how long do they have to mine in un-maxxed termises and rivelers to get enough Titan to produce something for their corp? And thats if theyre completely communist pooling everything?

I don't see how newbies can exist in the game without either:
- Depending on Veterans selling stuff on the market (for jew prices usually)
- Trying to mine it themselves (in arganos, termises, and generally low EP accounts)

Either way any newbie corp that comes into the game has NO CHANCE whatsoever of accumulating enough resources to get anywhere before investing at least 3 months (!) just into mining enough ore to start producing something at horrible refine yields.

Thats why I proposed the following:

a) Deployable mining towers that need to be fueled/emptied by player, can be plundered or destroyed by other players

Why?

- Because then players could spam some mining towers up instead of having to buy 6 accounts and dedicate them to mining then go insane with the amount of tile-swapping per second.
- Because players could use mining towers to supplement their active mining.
- Because other players could stumble upon mining towers and loot them.
- Because looting them would flag you for PVP, creating light-PVP content on Alpha.
- Because it would create a demand for mining towers and fuel that other players could produce and put up on the market.
- Because players who don't enjoy mining could mine and have fun at the same time.

Why?

- Amount of ore per tile is too low and needs to be significantly bumped up to speed up the process.
- Denser fields would speed up the process even more.
- It's imperative to consider how fast an average NEWBIE mines when considering mineral balance, rather then balancing everything on Riveler Mk2's.

I'd kill for dense smaller fields.  Just saying +1 mining towers.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

mining for what?
producing for what?

after 4 years i'm still using the same t4 fit riveler mk2, symbiont mk2 and on my combat acc the same seth mk2 with almost unchanged equipment.
I don't even have enough industrial tunings to fit both industrial gather bots at the same time.

as for alpha dweller, there is nothing to produce, since anything below T4 is meaningless and costs even me more to build then to just buy the T4 module from the market.

there is nothing ingame that removed minerals as fast as you gather them. with a few bits of titan ore you can build lots of stuff... just not max tier, since its exponentially more expensive.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

It's not about you, Ludlow, me, or any of the 100's of vets with anywhere from 2 to 10 mining accounts maxxed out.

It's about that newbie who bought the game for 30$ not refunding after 30 minutes.

62 (edited by Celebro 2015-11-04 22:57:36)

Naismith wrote:

It's not about you, Ludlow, me, or any of the 100's of vets with anywhere from 2 to 10 mining accounts maxxed out.

It's about that newbie who bought the game for 30$ not refunding after 30 minutes.

If it's about newbies, I don't see how mining towers that you need to defend help them. Aside from destroying a whole profession. Take it the way you want, 24/7 extraction with complete automation for miner's competing resources, players who enjoy mining will get the short end of the stick.

For those who don't like mining titan; although a PITA, there is market buy orders, if the price is right people will sell.

RIP PERPETUUM

but its you and all those vets mining , or not mining, and asking those noobs to mine titan ore for 0.75 NIC per piece

and those Vets saying that module stacking as it is now, allows for more customisation, because it allows you to fit all your headslots with those tuners...

Celebro wrote:
Naismith wrote:

If it's about newbies, I don't see how mining towers that you need to defend help them. Aside from destroying a whole profession. Take it the way you want, 24/7 extraction with complete automation for miner's competing resources, players who enjoy mining will get the short end of the stick.

For those who don't like mining titan; although a PITA, there is market buy orders, if the price is right people will sell.

Mining towers would need to be fueled, defended and there would be risk of the ore getting stolen. 24/7 extraction would not work.

24/7 extraction of liquizit and HDT however, with Scarab Mk2's is ongoing for 6+ months now. Did it destroy the whole mining profession?

I made a clear and concise post about mining towers.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

This bug (Link) still exists and is the

My experience says this bug is fixed, but my experience is only valid for a few 10s mining hours the last 4 weeks, so your experience might differ.

Annihilator wrote:

but its you and all those vets mining , or not mining, and asking those noobs to mine titan ore for 0.75 NIC per piece

Yes, it is the veterans that drop mineral price. But the reason behind is, that after spending ~30-40M NIC which is a enormous sum on first glance for newbie, but easy achieveable within 14 days, even a new player is able to field a T4 equipped Riv (if he spend his EP wise) and do more than 50% of maxed out veteran, meaning atm 10M Titan/h is nothing special and it takes less than 10h mining to earn the NIC you spend in this Riv.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

This bug (Link) still exists and is the thing which makes maxed out Titan mining really infuriating - timely target switching is key and this bug makes it pointlessly difficult.

Haven't seen this bug since they patched it.

Goffer wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Yes, it is the veterans that drop mineral price. But the reason behind is, that after spending ~30-40M NIC which is a enormous sum on first glance for newbie, but easy achieveable within 14 days, even a new player is able to field a T4 equipped Riv (if he spend his EP wise) and do more than 50% of maxed out veteran, meaning atm 10M Titan/h is nothing special and it takes less than 10h mining to earn the NIC you spend in this Riv.

you don't seem to understand the problem.

Die Milchauern gehen pleite weil ihre milch nix mehr wert ist aufm markt... klar, die lösung ist einfach mehr kühe in den stall zu stellen und noch mehr davon auf den markt zu schütten...

70 (edited by Goffer 2015-11-06 21:45:01)

Anni I know what you mean, but the only reason why the Titan seems to be less worth, is because under some circumstances you can earn far more. And the problem with your example is that a miner will never pay more for his mining charges, than he receive for selling titan.

At a price of 0.5NIC/Titan a newbie in Riv with T4 equip but no EP spend in mining beside the minimum to equip bot earns 3-4 MNIC/h. That number is easy extended towards 5MNIC/h with only few days EP spend on the mining extensions.
I consider this not dumping, but back to your example, if every farmer would earn 5$/liter milk but still10 times the amount for selling cakes instead of selling milk, yes the amount of farmers selling milk would drop and they would complain, that they earn not enough for their milk. In that case it is fault of the farmer expecting to earn that much.

And that a experienced miner earns 8-10MNIC/h does by no means, that newbies cannot have a decent living with mining.

the problem is that the game is extremely oversaturated with high-tech goods. it doesn't matter in which bot you mine at all...

your corpmates repeat that all to often - the robots you field in PvP are worth NOTHING, it only hurts someones e-pride to explode in his t4 fit mk2 heavy. and the same guy says mining needs a rework to pump out those t4 fits even faster, for the sake of the "newbies".

the same guy who insists that the games themepark progression needs to be forced more onto the player, to provide more e-peen targets.

there was also this other guy from NSE a year ago, telling me that making billions of NIC is easy cake, but when i said i wont harvest triandlus for under 3 NIC PP, he said thats to expensive. NPC mission now pay me much more then that.

reworking the mining mechanics, even implementing automated mechanics to do it, is the LAST, the VERY LAST thing this game needs as a jumpstart.

I just want to throw this out there.  I've been using 4 scarabs mining liquizit for the past three weeks non stop bouncing from spot to spot.  With that many scarabs I've managed to mine close to 200 million pieces of liquizit.  This does not include PLs.  I've actually had more fun not playing the game in the past 3 weeks while raking in one mineral I don't have billions of stock in.  Now to the point,  the reason there is this talk about about making it faster for a newbie to extract ore is to lessen the gap between say new Corp A and CIR by catching them up in the tangible aspect of infinite supplys.  Your never going back to out build someone who had access and took advantage of beacons 1.0.  Take STC for example and the extreme amounts of stuff they generated if only it wasn't locked on Tux account hiding somewhere.  You could fuel a war non stop for months.  That's what new players are facing and since we aren't wiping the server it's only logical if you want to bridge the gap you increase the yield of all players.  To lessen the impact of the "infinite" machine?  Make sense?  The only counter is that the infinite machine can mine more.  Well yeah but it already an infinite machine... See my point?

Newbies cannot enjoy the game to it's full extent without;

- Losing and destroying robots
- Being able to replace robots

For a newbie organization to be able to replace robots fast enough to have fun while learning the game, they need to be mining in 8 hour shifts with multiple accounts. Thats 30$ per account, without 10$ boosters for EP.

You can't expect people to be doing that in this day and age, it just won't happen!

It's not even about some newbies fighting CIR or POE or whatever - it's about newbies and casual people who don't have time to play 5+ hours a day or pay for 5+ accounts being able to get somewhere in the game. And right now, unless you have 5+ hours a day to dedicate solely to playing Perpetuum you're better off not even bothering.

I would argue that deployable mining towers are NECESSARY, not optional at this juncture. Scarab mk2's mining liquizit/HDT 24/7 have already been a reality for YEARS. Scarabs are TERRIBLE miners, but people are doing it to bypass active mining.

Make active mining significantly better then deployable towers, make towers cost on-par with a hi-tech mining tower, make it require fuel, doesn't matter but for gods sake give players the option to choose!

Scarab Mk2's are already mining towers in all but name, at least with mining towers they could be destroyed/ore stolen/whatever.

Naismith wrote:

It's not even about some newbies fighting CIR or POE or whatever - it's about newbies and casual people who don't have time to play 5+ hours a day or pay for 5+ accounts being able to get somewhere in the game. And right now, unless you have 5+ hours a day to dedicate solely to playing Perpetuum you're better off not even bothering.

+14633653621611862518724172744175161

Mining needs to be fun.
Missions need to be fun.
PvE needs to be fun.
PvP needs to be balanced.
Beta and Alpha need to be balanced.
Graphics need updating.
World needs to be bigger.
Perpetuum needs to be rewritten...

Keep 'em comin boys.