Topic: Gamma Structures on Alpha and Beta

Will we ever see Gamma style bases/construction bleed over to Alpha and Beta?

Really quite simple to police alpha, have buildable zones.  And those land plots cost corporations 30 Million NIC to rent weekly.  1 per corporation.  And you have to manually power them.

This would be an amazing addition to Alpha 2s when the mobs turn Red.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Gamma Structures on Alpha and Beta

+ 1000

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I always wanted that +1

RIP PERPETUUM

You can control the size of bases with the foot print of the plot.

5 (edited by Goffer 2015-10-26 18:35:17)

Would be very hard to balance vs NPC Terminals when we talk about production facilities and difficult to ensure the places are not overcrowded when comparing to other games where you can build structures for weekly costs in an area, where they are solid until end of NIC.
But in the end I like the idea, although I know it is no easy task to find right balance

The NIC cost should not be fixed but increased demand for the spots should drive them up.

Goffer wrote:

Would be very hard to balance vs NPC Terminals when we talk about production facilities and difficult to ensure the places are not overcrowded when comparing to other games where you can build structures for weekly costs in an area, where they are solid until end of NIC.
But in the end I like the idea, although I know it is no easy task to find right balance

Things that you can control: 

The foot print of each structure.
The foot print of each plot.
Network radius.
# of plots.

So make the plots small enough it fits 1 terminal, 1 reactor, 2 facilities or 1 hi tech. 

You can even make larger plots that cost more.

I honestly don't see the point. Either it's cheap enough where people use max facilities on Alpha, or it's too expensive where it doesn't make sense to use it at all.

Either way it seems to me that it would either be abused to hell and back, or completely ignored.

It's to add more depth to players who don't want to fight to try to maintain it but won't get the benefits of a full base.  In short it's for pve players.  It also can prove as a training ground for people to prepare for gamma.  And it's a "Home".  It's more important to realize people and players taking pride in what's theirs.  While causing a Nic sink.

Without terraforming, how could we drop bases on alpha? 

I think we would be better off just making the current non-used gamma islands into PvE zones (though return the old terraforming v 1.0).  We could get all the minecraft kids

11 (edited by Annihilator 2015-10-26 22:48:30)

Altera wrote:

I think we would be better off just making the current non-used gamma islands into PvE zones (though return the old terraforming v 1.0).  We could get all the minecraft kids

yes, because minecraft kids stay when you tell them they have to grind a billion NIC before they are able to enjoy terraforming and base building...
oh, and that their pickaxe requires more ammo then they can ever carry alone, for any meaningfull change of the terrain.

edit1:i mean, how can a feature that was implemented as nic/time faucet for veterans, ever attract new player?
edit2:talking about those metaphorical other x% that don't skip the gather process by exploiting broken game mechanics or join a certain hegemony (or both)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Altera wrote:

yes, because minecraft kids stay when you tell them they have to grind a billion NIC before they are able to enjoy terraforming and base building...
oh, and that their pickaxe requires more ammo then they can ever carry alone, for any meaningfull change of the terrain.

edit1:i mean, how can a feature that was implemented as nic/time faucet for veterans, ever attract new player?
edit2:talking about those metaphorical other x% that don't skip the gather process by exploiting broken game mechanics or join a certain hegemony (or both)

Don't underestimate the minecraft Kids, they can spend months and 100's hrs building stuff.

Having your own creation and home in the game make players more attached and more likely to stay, otherwise it's still new content for the PVE types.

RIP PERPETUUM

Anni, its quite simple buddy, you take PRE TERRAFORMED platforms you allow building on.  And create a spot for PVE players to call home but not be able to have ALL the facilities that a NPC terminal has on the Alpha two islands.  You put ~10 of those spots around the island and BAM!  Instant content for PVE guys who wanted to try Gamma but felt they would have to join said group to survive.  It's not that hard really its not.

I remember in Anarchy online you had city spots where you could trade off which buildings to build on give plot size, carefully designed this could happen here as well, but to get max benefit, there should be some tradeoffs that are not easy to create. I like the 2 facility idea but I assume 95% of bases would consist of production + (proto|refine).

Important ir must not be possible to build aura emitters, else I could tell you whats happening.....

I like it.....it gives the pve guys another purpose and reason to login and do stuff.....we need things for them to do as well.

Limit it to standard buildings only, and limit the number of facility upgrades possible so it's in line with the Alpha/Beta/Gamma differences.

Otherwise 30M to refine/recycle/RR at max facility level in perfect safety is ridiculously cheap.

30M a week.

Naismith wrote:

Limit it to standard buildings only, and limit the number of facility upgrades possible so it's in line with the Alpha/Beta/Gamma differences.

Otherwise 30M to refine/recycle/RR at max facility level in perfect safety is ridiculously cheap.

You could do away with the standard station facilities on Alpha 2 and only have them available through player owned "plots" Leave the facilities on Alpha 1 as new players need them to get a start on. For solo players on Alpha 2 if they have good relations with a corp that owns a "plot" they can use that, similar to the access system on beta/gamma now.. Just a suggestion.

Also I think 30M a week is a fair price. But as always the devil will be in the detail.

Sounds like we could get into the ArcheAge issue. Land will become a premium and some will be left out. 

How do we stop some corp (plus multi alt corps) from 'occupying' all the plots on a particular island?

30 million a week turns into a steep price if you ask me.  If you bought two plots at 60 million a week you'd have to turn a profit some where.  You'd force the wheels to be greased in the economy OR

You could let a handful of us do  smaller islands in the test server with Dev terraforming to push in the pve islands and have them as an offshoot to alpha.

I agree with Altera. It has to be ensured, that it is not 2-3 large corps owning an island complete with some alt corps.
30M/week is nothing for a corp with 10-20 active player, but unreasonable high for a corp of 3 casual player. Removing alpha2 facilities would do only wrong for the second.

Introducing on the other hand a possibility for a large corp to have on alpha something better than on beta would do also no good thing to the game, especially when we talk about shifting facility bonus towards more beta activity (not that I support the second, but we cannot discuss the one way and request the other on the same time). So the question is, how to give an incentive for players, that is for sure below beta level and that weak that it is no must have (or must deny!).
My understanding is that a T1 Facility without booster would equal today alpha2 and be a bit better than ALpha2 Terminal after patch.

But what beside owning a Terminal and having better facility and learn how to build a base is left? Turrets will be for sure nothing for alpha, nor repair node. I doubt energy well are reasonable.
Auras is something I consider dangerous to allow for alpha (as they are too much must have/deny other).

Accellerator-Strips should be allowed on a predefined level, this would be a real nice feature, if player would have the possibility to support all player on island with activating additional highway, as long as owning and not activating highway leads to detention or allows other player to activate that highway.

That's why I suggested players might like to just be able to terraform.  Make the unused Gamma islands (the ones not in game atm, not the unused gamma islands in game .lol), PVE terraform-able.  Make players rent space and then let them terraform gamma 1.0 style.  I bet players will pay to be able to terraform more *** formations.

I wasn't kidding about minecraft type players who would play this game.  Which could increase pop and lead to other gameplay.  Just leave off PVP, production and

30M a week is a one-time payment for someone who's been stockpiling ore, prototypes, and T1 mods to recycle. Put up facilities, do what you need to do at max efficiency and vgg.

How many prototypes/CT's/Commodities can be pumped out in 7 days? 30 mil is CHEAP for max efficiency compared to the requirement of actual Gamma investment.

Naismith wrote:

30M a week is a one-time payment for someone who's been stockpiling ore, prototypes, and T1 mods to recycle. Put up facilities, do what you need to do at max efficiency and vgg.

How many prototypes/CT's/Commodities can be pumped out in 7 days? 30 mil is CHEAP for max efficiency compared to the requirement of actual Gamma investment.

true. I was thinking the same thing