Re: New devblog: September status report

By living in ASB/ISB/TMB at first, they're unlockable terminals that serve as good stepping stones onto Beta before committing resources to attack and capture an actual outpost.

Spark removal will change the metagame drastically.

M2S held everything pre-sparks. Removal of sparks doesn't matter if the distance between different Betas can be traveled in 10 minutes, and come on, most of the veterans have a combat-ready alts anyway.

Naismith wrote:

The playstyle and mentality of living on Alpha (no risk) and collecting all the cream on Beta (reward) needs to be curbstomped out of the game, because it is detrimental and toxic to the population.

I agree with that. People need to start living on Betas to have an interesting enough experience and interaction with others. Guess what's going to happen if the entry to Betas stays as uninviting? People will continue living on Alpha, pulling ninja ops here and there with the population slowly dropping since the game ain't fun for anyone.

78 (edited by Naismith 2015-10-04 11:29:23)

M2S held everything pre-sparks under the Intrusion 1.0 system, for which you had to sign up to show up and be eligible to do SAPs, and it was only twice a week. Currently in the Intrusion 2.0 system if you've noticed, SAP's are happening twice a day per outpost usually. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

With the changes Zoom is putting in with regard to field terminals and the taxation system, coupled with the facility point rebalance, will make Beta worth living on for corporations. Spark removal will insure complete world domination will be more difficult.

Coincidentally, the taxation system will provide an incentive to solve conflicts before they blow up into full blown wars, and cooperation will be a viable (and lucrative) alternative to extermination by default. NRDS will be a viable alternative.

Although regardless of any changes, JOKE and a few other corps won't own outposts, because POE will say no. Newbies on the other hand... good luck to them, hope they enjoy the game.

79 (edited by Burial 2015-10-04 16:31:30)

You said we'd never conquer Domhalarn or Bergers and we proved you wrong on both occasions. Regardless, if Betas continue to be sparsely populated wastelands you can rest assured we aren't even going to play much since other games have a lot more to offer us.

In any event, only suckers love hating. Let's see what Zoom has to say.

80 (edited by Naismith 2015-10-04 19:16:07)

You can conquer whatever you want while we're not playing. When we're playing... How many corps did we kill off from under you? 2? 3? lol

On topic: Keep it up Zoom you're doing a great job so far!

This Thread delivers. Unlike JOKE's empty words.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Nians shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

First this:

Burial wrote:

Problem here is that starting a life on Beta is supposed to be the next natural step for corporations looking to grow beyond Alpha, but if even second-to-largest entity is unable to live in, or even capture and hold a SINGLE outpost from the largest, how are the smaller ones supposed to do that?

Then this:

Burial wrote:

You said we'd never conquer Domhalarn or Bergers and we proved you wrong on both occasions. Regardless, if Betas continue to be sparsely populated wastelands you can rest assured we aren't even going to play much since other games have a lot more to offer us.

Clearly we dont need unlocked stations for the betterment of the game Zoom, as Burial has pointed out beta stations and even gamma can be taken by anyone who really wants them under the existing mechanics.

83 (edited by Burial 2015-10-04 22:59:50)

It's possible to become the new blob, but that's beside the point.

Point is that balancing the game around blob sharing the pie and thinking of the newbies and the good of the game and all of that is going to backfire and headshot the population again and again.

As Syndic said...

Syndic wrote:

I'm saying I don't like the presumption of some people that by playing this game we're automatically conscripted to work as volunteers to make the game successful.

That's not my job. That's not your job.

The only people whose job it is to make this game something is Zoom and the other 4-5 dudes.

Have you children not figured out as soon as sparks disappear it's a new game?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

The children are still trying to figure out that, a square peg doesn't go into a round hole.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Nians shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Ville wrote:

Before the changes to roads and teleport networks it would have changed things. Now the impact will be minimal. So long as the intrusion mechanics remain static it wont matter at all.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

On the contrary, considering Beta 2 islands will be severed from direct Alpha connections, spark removal will have a much greater impact then it would if teleports stayed the same and a bot could go from Alpha to Gamma without moving a milimeter from the teleport.

Coupled with taxes and the indirect increase in security with distance, Beta 2 islands will gain much in real-estate value.

Naismith wrote:

On the contrary, considering Beta 2 islands will be severed from direct Alpha connections, spark removal will have a much greater impact then it would if teleports stayed the same and a bot could go from Alpha to Gamma without moving a milimeter from the teleport.

Coupled with taxes and the indirect increase in security with distance, Beta 2 islands will gain much in real-estate value.

If mobile teleports didn't exist perhaps.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

89 (edited by Burial 2015-10-05 14:43:28)

Zoom said he wanted more smaller factions. Even on the off chance that Betas will have space for two factions, it'd still be terrible compared to what it could be.

Burial wrote:

Zoom said he wanted more smaller factions. Even on the off chance that Betas will have space for two factions, it'd still be terrible compared to what it could be.

Well he's got small factions. The trouble is there's only one of them. The unwillingness to provide emergent gameplay at all levels have driven 90% of the playerbase away.

Zoom doing the Cosby-silence. big_smile

The idea of open outpost is not by it's self a solution to the problem of emergent gameplay , but it is any easy 'fix' to get the game going with more players to get more casual content available to all corps. It could become an issue longer term, but the benefits justifies the means. e.g 2 corps on different time zones can share an OP. Industry can flourish on beta, as no fear of getting locked if you want to go on vacation. Cons: Because station games lol roll

RIP PERPETUUM

Burial wrote:

Zoom doing the Cosby-silence. big_smile

You don't expect him to wade into this cesspool of a derailed topic do you?

----------------------------------------------
In an attempt to get tis topic back to topic

"So all the above mentioned stuff is coming in our new patch, which is currently slated for around early/mid October. "

Do we have an ETA yet on this next patch?  Isn't Friday the 'usual' patch day (I assume it gives you the whole week end to get drunk and shower.. maybe in that order). Am I optimistic in asking is it this week or next?

You are my heroes, Avatar Creations. I hope you have some mind mapping software to keep up with ever increasing complexity of the project and things to keep in mind smile

95 (edited by Altera 2015-10-16 17:25:04)

Altera wrote:

"So all the above mentioned stuff is coming in our new patch, which is currently slated for around early/mid October. " ^ From Zoom's BLog

Do we have an ETA yet on this next patch?

Can we get an update?

Last patch was 8-21-15.  Approaching 2 months.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

It's probably taking them a bit longer since the taxation wasn't originally planned.

It is taking a bit longer but I hope to see the new Beta1s on the test server this week.

Realistically your only real "deadline" is the Steam winter sale, so take your time and polish it as much as possible before moving it to live.

Naismith wrote:

Realistically your only real "deadline" is the Steam winter sale, so take your time and polish it as much as possible before moving it to live.

i wouldn't be that sure

steam wintersale is the time-limit for having:

• spark teleport removed

• roaming NPCs increased and tested/balanced

• orange NPCs removed

• new beacon mechanics released and tested

• loot tables rewriten and tested

you don't want to have a larger new player wave facing those changes shortly after they have joined. TBH, beta2's highway and field-terminal grid should have a much lower priority if you are aiming for a new player influx.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear