Re: Beating a dead horse

Ville wrote:
Naismith wrote:

You don't build a house on sand.

Yes you do. Based on the physical properties of the sand you would prefer that the house be built on Sand(the foundation).  Sand's properties make it the most predictable in settlement and movement.  Making it Ideal to build on.  Assuming your talking about confined sand, not beach sand.

Maybe in 'Murica where apparently nobody read the story of the three little piggies so walls are made out of a wood frame covered with cardboard and plaster. lol

don't compare a fable with modern achitecture.
these days, you can build on any ground... you just have know how to build your foundation.

but the best foundation doesn't matter if your building has to face something it was not built for.
Best example is a skyscaper beeing hit by a large object. (something you see in michael bay movies)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

How many of your suggestions over the years were implemented into the game?

54 (edited by Blocker 2015-09-10 23:04:22)

Kayin Prime wrote:

1000x this.  Players are very quick to spot imbalance and even quicker to rage quit because of it.  The only people who stick around in unbalanced games are those who have the advantage.   

Who's sticking around? Come on... you know the answer...

-K

Well we have stuck around, what's our advantage again ?

the things i have suggested as "features" have hardly ever been implemented.
some things have been implemented, that may sound similar, but at core are completely different.

most of my suggestions are based on what the DEVs have stated in their blogs and in chats what they want to have. I didn't suggest the features, but made suggestions how to implement them with their possibilities. For example the gamma highways...

or that one thing, that was impossible the one day (to be precise, before the anniversary tournament, when the "arena" was presented and zoom was collecting feedback), and suddenly was implemented a few weeks/days later: Player deployable and destructible Walls.

during that feedback i came up with the question "why don't you use the plant system for destructible obstacles/walls in that arena".

The problem came afterwards, because someone thought such a feature must be released to the playerbase with nearly no restriction. no build-zone around spawn points (teleports and outposts), the 3-neighbour limit and a rather hefty price or slow grow seemed enough for that certain someone.

Contrary to my request to have build- and destructible walls in predefined locations around the outposts to allow outposts owners to fortify their locations (under intrusion 1.0 rules that was)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I can't think of anything I've asked for that was implemented either tbh. Mainly bug fixes. Never features.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Some failed MMOs trying to deliver so much different content that it provides poor quality on all areas shown below:

PVE leveling content
PVE endgame content
PVE raiding content
Battleground PVP
Arena PVP
World PVP

I provide this list to show which choices they can make because tackling them all is almost impossible even for the richest of publishers . I think Perpetuum with such a small dev team, should make a choice on at the most 2 areas and make them really good. The 2 areas that the game has been developed more is World PVP and some leveling PVE.

I think it's time to make some hard decisions and divert resources on other areas that covers a larger demographic. I know they have covered PVE most this year and still to PVE is boring and a grind fest taking too much time for the players to see any rewards.

Could it be time to lose World PVP as this often clashes with other areas, and makes the whole system quite hard to balance? Real question would be what can Perpetuum become, that can bring new players?

Right now it's same old development rebalance after rebalance, changing stuff around does not get anyone hyped about it. Tell you what, no game is balanced!

RIP PERPETUUM

Didn't you quit?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

59 (edited by JetNexus 2015-09-11 12:18:58)

The marketing part of the game is heavily underdeveloped. I know it sounds boring, not as cool as an improvements to PvP/PvE, but without it there won't be many players, because it pushes people off. We're losing a large part of clients on a stage where they haven't seen a product yet.

It's not requires a lot of money and dev time to try a different sales model at least for a limited time. For example, make the game free, with premium stuff like booster, give the current players a booster for a few months. If it won't work, revert the changes, without deleting any new accounts to not damage the reputation.

Price for buying the game which you may delete after a few hours is too high for some. BUT the price for 50% booster for a main account in the game you like - is cheap. Think about it. It's much more easier to buy a booster for some months than buy the game in a first place.

60 (edited by Celebro 2015-09-11 14:23:04)

Ville wrote:

Didn't you quit?

I didn't quit posting. I just feel the game is beyond repair and anything they can do is far from what the game needs.

Free accounts would be a mess, unless they remove time skill progression. So No.

RIP PERPETUUM

JetNexus wrote:

The marketing part of the game is heavily underdeveloped. I know it sounds boring, not as cool as an improvements to PvP/PvE, but without it there won't be many players, because it pushes people off. We're losing a large part of clients on a stage where they haven't seen a product yet.

It's not requires a lot of money and dev time to try a different sales model at least for a limited time. For example, make the game free, with premium stuff like booster, give the current players a booster for a few months. If it won't work, revert the changes, without deleting any new accounts to not damage the reputation.

Price for buying the game which you may delete after a few hours is too high for some. BUT the price for 50% booster for a main account in the game you like - is cheap. Think about it. It's much more easier to buy a booster for some months than buy the game in a first place.

Marketing doesn't mean anything if your game sucks.  Look at League of Angels. That piece of junk has probably the largest ad campaign I've ever seen in a game and still nobody plays it. Why? It sucks. 

You're starting to figure it out though. Player loss has a very low impact on the Buy 2 Play business model.  Typically B2P games will capitalize on ongoing player participation through a vanity item cash shop (robot skins). The red flags are when you see B2P games and there ISN'T a cash shop. That usually means the population is too low to warrant the expense of creating one. Which in turn means players have no reason to keep playing.  Which indicates the game isn't fun.

Kayin Prime wrote:
JetNexus wrote:

Marketing doesn't mean anything if your game sucks.  Look at League of Angels. That piece of junk has probably the largest ad campaign I've ever seen in a game and still nobody plays it. Why? It sucks. 

You're starting to figure it out though. Player loss has a very low impact on the Buy 2 Play business model.  Typically B2P games will capitalize on ongoing player participation through a vanity item cash shop (robot skins). The red flags are when you see B2P games and there ISN'T a cash shop. That usually means the population is too low to warrant the expense of creating one. Which in turn means players have no reason to keep playing.  Which indicates the game isn't fun.

You are quite correct, marketing was getting into Steam, that and many players in Eve know about this game, no one cares. Many reviewers and announcements have been made all over the internet. 9/10 left the game already, wake up and smell the coffee guys, stop this obsession with balance and take a new direction that entices a larger demographic to stay and keep playing.

RIP PERPETUUM

So we gonna await a winter miracle or will be done something real? Perp is a robot that freezed at North Pole. There are nobody around and only nuclear explosion will warm it up.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

megatron?

EvE's online decreases everyday. Because of wrong way model they have no new players inflow. Many (old) players goes out too.

Why the crybabies wins?

Hunter wrote:

EvE's online decreases everyday. Because of wrong way model they have no new players inflow. Many (old) players goes out too.

R.I.P Black Legion and Nulli Secunda.

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

yesterday i was talking with someone in german chat, and noticed a thing that has bothered me a long time now.

Perp is a hybrid of game, combining elements that are fun, but in an unfun way.
for example, the npc grind and walking around is something that i would enjoy more if i could control the game fully with mouse only (aka RTS style).
Then on the contrary, the PvP experience suffers from a very bad "camera", 2D HUD and contradicting game mechanics (twitch Elements like LoS and WASD control, but then no-go CC elements like all EWAR.).
And then, you cannot even look "uphill". 

even the robots modular system is like someone took the battletech universe, and tried to combine Inner Sphere specialized Mechs with the clan omnimechs into one thing that is both, but then seperating it into three artifical "factions" for the sake of having factions at all.

btw... what was this topic about anyway?

I agree Anni.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Turn perpetuum to RTS?.. Worst idea ever. Should be playable by one account.
Multiaccounting is a bad something.

Why the crybabies wins?

Annihilator wrote:

yesterday i was talking with someone in german chat, and noticed a thing that has bothered me a long time now.

Perp is a hybrid of game, combining elements that are fun, but in an unfun way.
for example, the npc grind and walking around is something that i would enjoy more if i could control the game fully with mouse only (aka RTS style).
Then on the contrary, the PvP experience suffers from a very bad "camera", 2D HUD and contradicting game mechanics (twitch Elements like LoS and WASD control, but then no-go CC elements like all EWAR.).
And then, you cannot even look "uphill". 

even the robots modular system is like someone took the battletech universe, and tried to combine Inner Sphere specialized Mechs with the clan omnimechs into one thing that is both, but then seperating it into three artifical "factions" for the sake of having factions at all.

btw... what was this topic about anyway?

Yep.. so true. Perp suffers from trying to be like 2/3 different types of experiences at the same time, too hybrid not enough focus same as with it's identity , never been told what type of game it strives to be, what type of players will like it or not.

Too many arguments on the forums as the scope of the game is too broad. e.g Eve is harsh and it's everyone vs everyone, much of their player base can identify with that.

RIP PERPETUUM

71 (edited by JetNexus 2015-09-21 19:23:26)

Too broad? Many interesting games have mixed genre. Instead of straightforward RPG, RTS, FPS, when is often no need to even download it if you've played one or two most popular of them recently.
So i can't agree with it. If some expirience is incomplete then the obvious solution is to improve it.
EVE players don't have this problem. Some says that this is a pure pvp, but there's many people out there who aren't pvp players. It's hardcore PvE, in wormholes and other new stuff with all the risk, logistics and teamwork. The market and trading alone is for some are reason for playing. And a lot of professions, like exploration, mining, transporting... And comon trolling topic from those who sees only hardcore DOTA in these 2 games, especially EVE as there are more things to do and more trolls.

I didn't have any problem understanding of what Perp is about. At all. And there weren't any problems in EVE when i was 17. So it's nothing to worry about. The exact genre doesn't guarantee that all people who buy it will like it, and there's always some stupid kids who'll whine anyway.

Well, if anyone need some genre to present this game as then "too broad" might be the right one. Or just a list of other genres elements. Because it's the major thing that makes this game unique and interesting. Because if you just say "RTS", or "Action" while telling about this game to the friend, he'll show you a better mainstream "RTS" or "Action" and be right in his own way.