1 (edited by DEV Zoom 2015-08-17 20:33:33)

Topic: Facility balance

So while diving into the balance of industrial facility points as mentioned in the roadmap blog, the question arose whether the 2 randomly missing facilities on Beta 1 outposts contribute to anything meaningful. It was probably made like this to generate conflict but you probably just go back to Alpha 2 or something, don't you.

edit:
Err nevermind, they don't have missing facilities.
That's what you get for having different configurations on the dev server...

Oh well we can continue discussing general facility balance then smile

Re: Facility balance

Still a step in the right direction, although higher efficiencies are much more desireable, bearing in mind the terminals cannot be locked and that's a good base advantage outpost have.

RIP PERPETUUM

The basic question what is the needed reward for the risk at Beta.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

whats this risk/reward thingy?
does it bring more player into the game? or keep them playing?

but ontopic - what random missing facilities? i thought under the current outpost system every outpost has the everything except the two gamma exclusive facilities.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

To clarify, beta facility points will be boosted, my question is meant additionally to that.

Annihilator wrote:

but ontopic - what random missing facilities? i thought under the current outpost system every outpost has the everything except the two gamma exclusive facilities.

Beta1 outposts have only 4 facilities each, instead of all 6.

Err nevermind, they don't.
That's what you get for having different configurations on the dev server...

Oh well we can continue discussing general facility balance then smile

So this is what I currently have in mind for facility points:

Alpha 1 main terminals:
All 0 (no change)

Alpha 1 outposts:
Current: 0~50 (higher on selected facilities)
New:      0~25

Alpha 2 main terminals:
Current: All 50
New:      25~50

Beta main terminals:
New:      50~100

Beta outposts:
As you know the facilities here can be manually upgraded 3 times each, using a maximum of 10 points at the highest stability (1 point per 10 stability).
Currently the levels are:     0-  50-100-125
This would be changed to: 50-100-125-150
(Meaning even if you don't spend any upgrade points, all the outpost facilities are at 50)

I was always curious why do you even have limitations on how many points you can spend on a station? Why can't I dump 10 stability points into refining and have a kick-ass best-in-game refinery if I don't mind everything else sucking balls?

10 (edited by Celebro 2015-08-17 22:04:52)

One of the issues I have is the alpha1 outpost remain barely worth it, being off the beaten path and having everything needed on alpha 2s, moving to alpha 2 sounds like a no brainer.

Could we mix it up a little here, aside from industry level. Could we speed up some production lines to alpha1 to level this out a little, maybe add more proto lines for beta only, stuff like that is what I would look for.

edit: another thing would be to give production bonuses to t1-t2 mods on alpha1 and lights, t3 bonuses on alpha2 and assualts, mechs/heavies and t4 bonuses on beta.

RIP PERPETUUM

Naismith wrote:

I was always curious why do you even have limitations on how many points you can spend on a station? Why can't I dump 10 stability points into refining and have a kick-ass best-in-game refinery if I don't mind everything else sucking balls?

I was always* curious whats the point of it at all.
*: well, always after it was proven not really working...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Zoom you should be able to max out all facilities in a beta station imo.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

The points should be like a pool that can be applied to any facility as needed but on a cool down timer, so changing from refining to proto should require a 24 hour cool down.

My understanding is that atm you can only have 3 maxed out, and that's fine but if you want to do something other than those 3 you have to actually take the station down and bring it back up again. At least that's my understanding anyway. Which seems a bit silly tbh.

We can perhaps do a downgrade option with a cooldown but I don't think being able to max out all of them would be good.

Celebro wrote:

One of the issues I have is the alpha1 outpost remain barely worth it, being off the beaten path and having everything needed on alpha 2s, moving to alpha 2 sounds like a no brainer.

I think that will be only true until red NPCs return to Alpha2.

DEV Zoom wrote:

So this is what I currently have in mind for facility points:

Alpha 1 main terminals:
All 0 (no change)

Alpha 1 outposts:
Current: 0~50 (higher on selected facilities)
New:      0~25

Alpha 2 main terminals:
New:      25~50

Beta main terminals:
New:      50~100

Beta outposts:
As you know the facilities here can be manually upgraded 3 times each, using a maximum of 10 points at the highest stability (1 point per 10 stability).
Currently the levels are:     0-  50-100-125
This would be changed to: 50-100-125-150
(Meaning even if you don't spend any upgrade points, all the outpost facilities are at 50)

That's a 25 pts increase for a 3 point investment, so with perfect-everything that should bring the value to 300 pts for a max producer at a Beta outpost right?

With spark removal and field terminal tax tied into the Outposts as income, that's a pretty decent incentive to use Beta outposts and allow neutrals to mission in your Outpost sector.

What I would suggest is making the "station income" more clear and concise, right now the only reason I know what percentage I will get back from repairing modules is because 3-4 years ago I asked one of you Devs about it. This should be public information displayed in-game, so people can make a more informed choice on how they're spending their station points, and perhaps spending station points can increase that return percentage? What do you think Zoom?

Another suggestion would be to look into how "station income" is displayed in the corp accounting page. For example, if CIR is allowing people to mission and dock in our station, it would be really great if we saw what facilities were being used - then we could increase the value of those facilities (for example, repair shop) and that way stimulate newbies and random people missioning around our outpost. Breaking down "station income" into a more clearer and concise display of where the money is coming from would be a great step forward.

Naismith wrote:

That's a 25 pts increase for a 3 point investment, so with perfect-everything that should bring the value to 300 pts for a max producer at a Beta outpost right?

Something like that. But do note that the change will be barely noticeable if you have already good extensions and relation due to how the efficiency point curve works.

But I think the display and management of station income would need its own topic.

So percentage-wise, what kind of an increase are you looking at?

P.S.

Adding information to the facility like this:

Repair 125 pts (75% return income)

Or something like that would be a great addition. A lot of people don't know how much you get income-wise from repair/factory/prototyping etc.

Adding income from recycling and refining would be a nice addition and real good incentive to cultivate industrial centers, on top of whats already coming.

Naismith wrote:

That really depends on the other two factors, but if we take the 125-150 facility change that's about 2-5% increase. But overall the gains are a lot more since all the facilities are boosted due to the 50 base value.

I'm also thinking about increasing the influence factor of relation there, with the rebalanced relation progression in missions it feels like not enough gain for all the fuss. Currently the relation part of the facility points is relation*5, I'd change that to relation*20, which would more or less bring it in line with the facility and extension factors.

I think the numbers are about right. People still won't do industry in the stations though.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

21 (edited by Celebro 2015-08-18 15:42:32)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Celebro wrote:

I think that will be only true until red NPCs return to Alpha2.

Red NPCs was on by default on the whole server, never found it to be an issue, ads little risk, still think alpha 2 would be the default option to do industry for most, and alpha1 remains a ghost town.

RIP PERPETUUM

Jita wrote:

I think the numbers are about right. People still won't do industry in the stations though.

Yeah, for the simple reason of the risks getting your stuff locked in.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Jita wrote:

Side conversation but this requires inactivity on the station owners part, locking is a  3+ day process.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:
Celebro wrote:
Jita wrote:

Side conversation but this requires inactivity on the station owners part, locking is a  3+ day process.

Yeah everyone knows, doesn't change the facts though.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

DEV Zoom wrote:
Naismith wrote:

That really depends on the other two factors, but if we take the 125-150 facility change that's about 2-5% increase. But overall the gains are a lot more since all the facilities are boosted due to the 50 base value.

I'm also thinking about increasing the influence factor of relation there, with the rebalanced relation progression in missions it feels like not enough gain for all the fuss. Currently the relation part of the facility points is relation*5, I'd change that to relation*20, which would more or less bring it in line with the facility and extension factors.

That sounds like it could work out really good, what are your thoughts on future Beta vs Gamma balancing? I don't have a Gamma production going on right now since CIR (and by extension, our alliance) produces and has been producing everything on Beta for years. If memory serves, a full T3 Gamma facility was in the area of 335 pts? Correct me if I'm wrong please. smile

It does also sound like extensions won't be much of a factor though, once relation and station levels are considered, how are you looking at max-extension producer vs mid-tier producer efficiency wise?