1 (edited by Savin 2011-02-09 04:11:09)

Topic: Plant Harvesting and Regrowth

Nothing to see here, move along!

Sorry, but recent changes have rendered this information out of date, and I'm not inclined to start over- maybe someone else will volunteer to track the new mechanic.

If you're still curious about the plant growth mechanic, have a look at the dev blog explaining Noralgis. The information is not exactly the same, but the basics still apply.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Re: Plant Harvesting and Regrowth

Thanks for doing this! I greatly appreciate it.

What did you do in order to check / confirm these conclusions? Did you record the positions, values of plants with notetaking, screencaptures, or videos, and then return hourly, for example?

3 (edited by Savin 2011-02-09 04:11:59)

big_smile

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

I have seen plants with well over 100 count quantity, usually off the beaten path.  Will SS when I can.

5 (edited by Savin 2011-02-09 04:12:18)

big_smile

Can confirm I have seen plants over 100.

Can you be more specific about these high-number plants? Were they in out-of-the way locations? On Beta islands?

I wouldn't be surprised if the density of plants on Beta islands was greater than those on Alpha, just like mineral density.

It was a Helioptris plant close to Radholme Outpost on Alpha. 103 units in it iirc.

i think you need to go to beta island to see higher cycle numbers.
(like for minerals)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

i think you need to go to beta island to see higher cycle numbers.
(like for minerals)

Yes, I think that is the case, but i haven't toured all the Beta islands. Anyone able to add some Beta observations?

I did some mass helioptris mining on beta today.  I confirm that there are certainly plants with more than 100 in the beta islands, though there were probably about 3-5 out of the nearly 50 i farmed.  Beyond that I completely wiped out every node i harvested and i wasn't really looking to gather any data on it.  However you've piqued my interest and though I've been mostly mining I think i'm going to switch to being Harvester focused.

I look forward to seeing more of your data and I'm willing to go back to that spawn tomorrow and see if there is anything i can learn from it.  This spawn is rather close to my corps beta outpost so this data would be of great use to me.  I'd like to offer to help however i have little experience with research like this so if you want to PM about what i should look out for feel free.

P.S. I can confirm that i also saw these 0 yield "seed" spawns though i dont know how they were created and also that when spawns are completely wiped out they disapeer along with the terrain block that came with them.

Posted on wrong char, send research info to this character pls.  Also posting on this char to prove that I am in a Corp with access to a beta outpost.

Cheers.

13 (edited by Savin 2011-02-09 04:12:44)

big_smile

14 (edited by Savin 2011-02-09 04:12:59)

big_smile

15 (edited by Savin 2011-02-09 04:13:15)

big_smile

Based on Conroys Game of Life?

->You just lost The Game<-

Yes, I thought there might be a pattern similar to Conway's Life, but it doesn't look like it. New spawns appear to be random (or very close to random) and unrelated to their surroundings. That, or the pattern unfolds over a much longer period of time.

I should know more next week.

Theres probably some maximum density for plants to ensure we can still navigate everywhere.

->You just lost The Game<-

I think you're right, but heck if I know how to test it.