Topic: Remove teleport beacons

It's now quicker on Alpha to use the highways and internals than it is to use teleport beacons. SInce this is the case, why do we need them? On alpha they do not cause a big issue but in PvP areas they are a really bad mechanic for the following reasons:

1) They allow any hauler to just set a teleport up under a station with an alt, travel the 500m and jump. This makes any (none dumb) hauler, or any other Mech or Bot unkillable while leaving Beta.

2) The standard response in PvP to a probe dying or a miner getting killed is to undock, drop teleports, send out scouts and teleport to the nearest location / exit teleport to cut off and intercept the enemy. Your main force is totally safe during this, your only risking scouts in light bots until you make the decision to engage.

3) The above is true for the offensive party too, you can very easily cause some trouble with an assault or mech and then teleport in support when and where you need it not risking that support until you are ready.

All of the above are taking away from what this game is all about - LOS based combat over a changing landscape that requires you to think about speed, scouting and spatial awareness. Removing teleports from the PvP areas would increase the risk of people doing industry and transporting it out, would make combat more about chasing people down and overall deal with the games strengths rather than cater to the lazy.

For these reasons

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

2 (edited by Celebro 2015-07-29 18:33:40)

Re: Remove teleport beacons

Not sure I would agree. Beta is quite risky as it is, if we want more players living there, PVP avoidance mechanisms should be in place as long as you are smart enough to do so. Trying to outsmart the prey as well as the hunter outsmarting those who avoid pvp is also part and parcel of Beta living.

I think the root cause are the SCOUTS with those OP signal detection.

RIP PERPETUUM

Jita wrote:

1) They allow any hauler to just set a teleport up under a station with an alt, travel the 500m and jump. This makes any (none dumb) hauler, or any other Mech or Bot unkillable while leaving Beta.

I showed this to Dev Zoom on the test server one day, his response was similar to: "Not everyone deserves to die when they come to Beta."

yes +1 remove mobile teleports OR Jack the prices back up.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

If the prices go up, I will become extremely rich, instantly.

I am indifferent on this issue.  As most will adapt, after sparks are removed.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13