Topic: In Field Mission Request

Is there a logical, or back-end reason that we cannot ask for a "new" mission in the field without Mission Terminals, or hubs?

What I am asking is for a way of doing things differently.

All of us run out, and run missions then return, why can we not just ask for a new mission right after we complete a mission, sort of a continuation of the mission.

Do we not have the technology of Wi-Fi?

Or is their a more specific reason the back-end, or a balancing aspect I am not looking at?

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Re: In Field Mission Request

Yes, for example we wouldn't be bale to give you the starting items if there are any, because we don't know if it would fit your cargo. But probably the largest problem with that approach is that the server would have to search for points and assemble a mission using your random starting point in real time, and that would take a lot of server resources. (Currently this is helped by precalculations and caching based on the fixed locations.)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Yes, for example we wouldn't be bale to give you the starting items if there are any, because we don't know if it would fit your cargo. But probably the largest problem with that approach is that the server would have to search for points and assemble a mission using your random starting point in real time, and that would take a lot of server resources. (Currently this is helped by precalculations and caching based on the fixed locations.)

you have already solved all issues listed there.

• items can be given out at a dispenser on terrain as first mission goal (preferable the closest dispenser to the agents location)

• whats the difference between static field terminals, and player beeing within predefined regions?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

whats the difference between static field terminals, and player beeing within predefined regions?

If you mean that you would get the mission from the nearest field terminal using its location as starting point, then nothing.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

whats the difference between static field terminals, and player beeing within predefined regions?

If you mean that you would get the mission from the nearest field terminal using its location as starting point, then nothing.

So that means you could do it far easier right?

RIP PERPETUUM

I think that would be possible, yes. But would this raise some concerns on beta?

How so?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Requesting missions from right under the teleport. Although you still have to go in to actually do it, so maybe it's nothing.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I think that would be possible, yes. But would this raise some concerns on beta?

I really don't see an issue for Beta.

RIP PERPETUUM

I don't either.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

This is something I think would work well.  It would either choose, A - The Closest Terminal, or B - The Closest Infield Terminal.

On beta's, have a toggelable warning, saying you may not be-able to access the terminal due to lockout restrictions.

Have a "ok" button, with a check-mark of "do not show again".

Thoughts, concerns?

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

On beta's, have a toggelable warning, saying you may not be-able to access the terminal due to lockout restrictions.

We can filter those out. Even with external terminal usage implemented, you won't be able to request missions from those anyway.

Awesome, does this mean its a Go?

Or Test Server First?

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

It's on our todo now.

well, i actually meant it without field terminals, but if you're options are that limited...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

How bottable would this make missions?

Naismith wrote:

How bottable would this make missions?

two lines less code then now.