1 (edited by Ville 2015-07-24 19:25:52)

Topic: Distress Beacon Rework [Road Map Version]

Dev Blog wrote:

Distress beacon rework
Distress beacons have caused a lot of headache for us which have resulted in the introduction of some pretty nasty mechanics
The new system would start with the introduction of “alien teleport anomalies”, which would periodically spawn and despawn in random locations on all islands
These anomalies would be visible objects (no scanning needed), and distress beacons (which would be repurposed into “teleport hijack beacons” basically) would need to be deployed and activated next to one of these. They wouldn’t work anywhere else.
Activating the beacon will spawn in the enemy NPCs just like now, and close the anomaly (so one beacon per anomaly)
Currently existing beacons can be used in the new system, you don’t lose anything
Multiple anomaly types that limit which beacon can be used, to be able to differentiate alpha/beta/gamma usage
Makes us able to remove the “no loot when NPC is destroyed by explosion” and “NPC teleport” mechanics

I really like this but, once again I would do some things to help this out.

1.  Reward players from all factions to show up and perform them.  Like placing a "random rec slip" that is loot able by ALL players just not the first that looks him.  Meaning there is a reason to go out there and do it.  I know about the obvious flaws with multiple looting but maybe something you can only have one in your cargo of at the same time?  Elite NPC drops 20 of them?

*  If it allowed there could always be a mission added to make you do it that has some fat rewards you could do daily.

/discuss

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Distress Beacon Rework [Road Map Version]

Btw if you guys think that

Makes us able to remove the “no loot when NPC is destroyed by explosion” and “NPC teleport” mechanics

is more important than having beacons, then we can immediately remove those mechanics, and disable beacon deployment until we're done with the rework.

Why not just limit it to 1 beacon?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Because that won't solve the tricks people do with beacons.

Ville wrote:

alt agents

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

So in all essence, we are going to have to run around and search for the anomaly spots? That seems and feels like a lot of wasted time, im against it. With removal of beacon farming, the corporations are going to have to go through extreme pains to get kernels. Which isnt fine. Remember, you still need squads of heavies for the beacons, its painful, tedius and inefficient to move half the map for 10 min of action.

Illiathos wrote:

... its painful, tedius and inefficient to move half the map for 10 min of action.

hey, thats what PVP is!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

This anomaly idea has TONS of potential. 

You can go many directions, in PVE, and PVP with this simple idea.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

This anomaly idea has TONS of potential. 

You can go many directions, in PVE, and PVP with this simple idea.

Gotta agree, the possibilities are endless.

And if you did have to travel 10mins to get to a beacon so what? Nothing stopping the DEVS from changing the rewards for beacons to make them worth doing. Especially on high level beacons

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue