Topic: Loot tables

This hasn't got much attention but its absolutely one of the most important things to get right.

Zoom could you give us a technical overview of how loot tables work currently?

Also what programing / database management tools do you use for perpetuum?

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: Loot tables

Currently every type of NPC has an individual loot table assigned to it. The tables contain the items it can drop, and for each one a minimum and maximum quantity (random roll between the 2 values), and a drop chance (which decides whether to drop the item in the first place or not).

We have our own web-based tool for editing these.

I wish I could see a data dump of all the modules, rat types, mechs and bonus'. I could mock up a system that would work really well and be very responsive to balance changes. I <3 writing business requirement documents for data tables, I'm a sad individual.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

4 (edited by Burial 2015-07-25 13:11:41)

Drop all the crap the industrials are supposed to make, like the colossal amounts of T1 and boost what industrials need. Kernels, fragments, decoders. Occasional item isn't bad.

I would also like if the Beta Observers or whatever you will have running there had a very rare chance of dropping something nice, like a Cortex or an MK2 CT.

actually, together with loot tables, you should rewrite your NPC generation code

i know, everyone is used to know "5th star shredder" are kains with Ewar, or the Blastwave is the one with pure DPS.
but is that really necessary?

why don't you make the random NPC generator also randomly adjust the equip of the robots (with tiered equip) and make them drop what they have (low chance) and the necessary industrial stuff guaranteed ?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Burial wrote:

Drop all the crap the industrials are supposed to make, like the colossal amounts of T1 and boost what industrials need. Kernels, fragments, decoders. Occasional item isn't bad.

I would also like if the Beta Observers or whatever you will have running there had a very rare chance of dropping something nice, like a Cortex or an MK2 CT.

+1 to the above this would be really nice

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Burial wrote:

The more raw materials, and the less finished products increases demand for industry, increases market activity = good for the game.

+10^googolplex

Burial wrote:

Ohh yes.. Agree with this completely.

Burial wrote:

+1000.....or a T4+ item from Observers.

*** it +1 Burials Idea.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

and please while you are at it - remove the frikkin ewar modules from the npcs!

I can't help but think that somewhere in this re-balance there is room to introduce a new profession/role/module/extension of salvaging for industrialists whereby they gain an advantage of quantity of fragments/kernals and chances of modules/decoders ... maybe more than advantage, maybe the actually ability to get anything other than plasma out of a destroyed bot.

But ... I can't quite work out the details without upsetting solo ratting too much and making fitting said module a necessity.

Could tie in nicely with the Alpha death by NPC Field Rescue proposal too.