1 (edited by Annihilator 2015-07-18 16:55:12)

Topic: Teleportgrid / Highways

Can't see highway grid on alpha2's because that one didn't autoupdate -
but:

first glance at the teleports:

• Shinjalar
    good work. intrazone grid, and outgoing connections seem to be nicely distributed

• Hershfield
    good work on the intrazone grid, except "TP_zone_8_9" - that one would make more sense at coordinates ~1585,1224
    horrible beta connections. a single alpha side scout can monitor whole alpha-> beta traffic, including the two possible mobile interzone beacon locations.

• Tellesis
    not so good work on the intrazone grid.
    same horrible idea for the alpha->beta connections

/first glance

i wont comment the beta side of the connections, as they will change anyway

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

2 (edited by Jasdemi 2015-07-18 19:45:42)

Re: Teleportgrid / Highways

Your links are broken.

test
Shinjalar
Hershfield
Tellesis

You need to spread the Beta entrance teleports around. They are WAY too easy to scout.

Jasdemi wrote:

Your links are broken.

not the links are broken, the forums is breaking them.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

can I make a suggestion?  Can we have more than two entrances on beta?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

This whole teleport changes, to me seems like too much effor for really little gain.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Ville wrote:

can I make a suggestion?  Can we have more than two entrances on beta?

+1

Also can you take whoever designed the green island teleports out back and shoot him in the head.

You can scout everything in to the green islands with one detector.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Serious question about those alpha teleport comments: what difference does it make? If you can set up one alpha scout, does it take much more effort to have a second or third one?

And even if it would make a difference, does it matter where you come from in alpha? Set one scout on alpha where the teleport has multiple beta destinations and the only thing it will be able to tell is that someone is coming, but not where they will end up.

IOW: yes, we can make more than two entry points on betas when we do their rework but it doesn't really matter where the alpha source points are.

Heck, if you want I can also connect the alpha2-beta teleports to 2 more beta points each, and figure out the final points when they are done.

10 (edited by Burial 2015-07-19 02:19:21)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Serious question about those alpha teleport comments: what difference does it make? If you can set up one alpha scout, does it take much more effort to have a second or third one?

And even if it would make a difference, does it matter where you come from in alpha? Set one scout on alpha where the teleport has multiple beta destinations and the only thing it will be able to tell is that someone is coming, but not where they will end up.

IOW: yes, we can make more than two entry points on betas when we do their rework but it doesn't really matter where the alpha source points are.

It just makes it way too convenient for anyone to setup one detector and gank anyone wanting to use Betas.

I know I'd do it. Run a detector, have some Jokers in TS playing hello kitty online and whenever someone goes to Betas, log everything in and go after him. It'd be fun, but after a while there'd be hardly anyone going to Betas.

It's great they lead to multiple Beta teleports, but you should make sure the Alpha teleports stay like 5-6k apart, minimum, on all factions.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Heck, if you want I can also connect the alpha2-beta teleports to 2 more beta points each, and figure out the final points when they are done.

More connections usually good. Show us and we'll provide feedback. smile

11 (edited by Annihilator 2015-07-19 20:06:07)

DEV Zoom wrote:

to degree i would agree with you - if you wouldn't channel the access to all pvp islands of one faction through this one location.

question to you: why have all PVP forces since early beta ALWAYS been complaining to you that the alpha-> beta connection teleports are to easy to monitor/shut off?

+1 to have two destinations on the beta side, thats good thinking!

now move neutral gamma (no faction materials, split islands like solarfield) inbetween the betas of two factions with the same teleport connection idea

ok, the next itteration that is now on PTS looks a bit... like OVERKILL on the beta entry connection part.
but at least the PVPers got what they asked for wink

I think so too but just wanted to show how it looks. Maybe 3 is the way to go.

Leading to internal is nice, maybe 1 or 2 extras for other parts of the island.

15 (edited by Annihilator 2015-07-19 23:18:23)

please, always consider, that the more connections that teleport has, the faster it is to get around the island by jumping back to alpha with
a. 2km radius detectors
b. full DPS Heavy mechs that already run twice as fast as common sense in balancing allows.

maybe you can get garg to make a little visualisation of that:
take the passable terrain map, and start a wavefront algorithm from every teleport simultaniously to draw a gradient, counting the steps to fill all the space. from the steps and the robot velocities, you can calculate how long it will take to reach ANY spot on the island.

How are you going to connect those TPs like that with gamma in game?

17 (edited by SunnyJester 2015-07-21 02:27:16)

Naismith wrote:

How are you going to connect those TPs like that with gamma in game?

Yeah that is pretty important as the changes done to Alpha 2's really affected the Beta jumps, so how are they Beta to Gamma jumps and the inter-island Beta jumps planned as of now?  It is hard to comment on these changes when the last part is unknown....

Beta teleports are planned to move around too, not that close to bases like on alpha, but still connected with highways. But I don't want to put that many teleports on betas because they also tend to be a nuisance with PvP, but this in turn limits the connections with gammas. So this is pretty much open to discussion.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Beta teleports are planned to move around too, not that close to bases like on alpha, but still connected with highways. But I don't want to put that many teleports on betas because they also tend to be a nuisance with PvP, but this in turn limits the connections with gammas. So this is pretty much open to discussion.

Betas should have a good distance between a station and the teleport. On alpha fast station to teleport connections are a good thing. On beta they are not.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

At the very least you shouldn't be able to use the same TP to jump to 2 differnent locations on the same Beta islands for reason given above.

Also you shouldn't have a continuous chain on TPs connected. Doing this allows very easy & lazy power projection across the game world.
Those style of daisy chained TP routs was one of the main problems of the original Network

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

IMO on Beta the current Teleports are OK we just need Highways.  And Use the unused Teleports for something.

@ zoom, how hard would it actually be to implement one-way teleport connections? (as far as i know, it would be more work for garg to make a visual representaion)

could you consider that possiblity for the new alpha/beta/gamma connections?
you make more connections, but half of them are "one way"

Annihilator wrote:

@ zoom, how hard would it actually be to implement one-way teleport connections? (as far as i know, it would be more work for garg to make a visual representaion)

could you consider that possiblity for the new alpha/beta/gamma connections?
you make more connections, but half of them are "one way"

I think that exists already, with the GUI representation, we just never used it.

I don't like the jump from alpha to internal teleports.  I think that's kind of sketchy.

slightly off topic but, Is the autopilot defaulting to HWYs where it can ?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue